Juve and Milan have to win every week to keep pace

EPL and Liga can rest players

Juve had to play all stars to keep pace

Milan only rested some midfield cuz it was Atalanta

Your thoughts?

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
It could happen but the CL tends to be so unpredictable that I wouldn't expect this to be the reason if Juve or Milan stumble. More likely it would be just the circumstances of the matches.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I agree but I just can't see fatigue not playing a factor. Think about the clash of the titans, Manchester United versus AC Milan. Milan played its defense this weekend and so they come in somewhat not 100 percent. Man Utd come in all well rested and their players are ready to last longer. Especially in long games in the later stages that get decided in extrat time, etc....fatigue is a whole big issue

·
International
8,545 Posts
It shouldn't hamper Milan considering the quality of the bench. There's more than enough solid players to fight on both fronts. Besides, it's not like the other teams in the CL have no domestic league to concentrate on.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well if fatigue is a factor surely Juventus will be hard done by because we do not have a strong bench like that of Milan. The latter can call on more players to get the job done, especially in defense.

I would not narrow the possibilities down to this, as Martin said that the Champions League is very unpredictable and anything can happen. However I do not accept fatigue as an excuse for failure in the CL because everybody plays a lot of matches and trains at different levels.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The CL is UEFA's way of giving the "smaller" clubs a chance. The big teams have to play two games a week for an extended period, which means more rotation because of injuries and exhaustion. Unless the teams have a very strong bench, those teams are going to drop points somewhere.

I'm not too worried about a tired defense. Cafu was suspended, so he'll be nice and ready for Man U. I don't know if Kaladze will be back from injury, so maybe Maldini will move to fullback, with Stam and Nesta in the center. Nesta has been suspended twice recently :rolleyes: , so he should be able to take the punishing schedule. Anyway, we always have Costacurta. :D :star:

As I said at the beginning of the season, Juve are just an injury (to Cannavaro or Thuram) away from disaster. Unfortunately, they also got themselves booted out of the Coppa, so that will make it easier for them.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Ruffian said:
The CL is UEFA's way of giving the "smaller" clubs a chance.
Are you for real? If UEFA was trying to give the smaller clubs a chance then there wouldn't be 4 teams from Italy and Spain in the competition. The CL is ALL about the big clubs.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
A bit of irony, Ivo. I'm sure that was never UEFA's intention, but clubs that aren't in European competition can certainly take advantage of the situation. CL participants seem to get a surprising amount of draws and losses the weekend before a CL game.

And yes, I'm for real. Thank you for asking.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Yeah Dinamo is sure taking advantage:D

These smaller clubs don't really take advantage anyway, they're still finishing in the same positions they always do. This season might be a bit different with clubs like Palermo and Samp, but it definately hasn't been a trend.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
IVO said:
Yeah Dinamo is sure taking advantage:D

These smaller clubs don't really take advantage anyway, they're still finishing in the same positions they always do. This season might be a bit different with clubs like Palermo and Samp, but it definately hasn't been a trend.

actually

chievo atlanta all came up and finished high in last few years

·
International
8,545 Posts
I thought Chievo did it through their anti-Italian offensive football :confused:

You a Dinamovac or Hajdukovac, or something else?

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
MILANISTA!!!

and as for back home...

i lived 5 minutes from BBB home ground...but never was a big fan was to oyung to watch back when i was home...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts