Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brain is too fried to figure out the scenarios for the group.

What will it take for the U.S. to win Group D?

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
That's pretty clear.

To win our group, we must defeat Poland and then have:

1. Portugal defeat Korea, or

2. Beat out Korea in goal differential even if Korea wins.

To advance, we must either tie or win against Poland, or even with a loss if Korea can defeat Portugal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We can also win the group with a win over Poland and a Portugal/Korea draw.

Basically, if we win by 3 we are 99% guaranteed to win the group. I doubt S. Korea will beat Portugal by more then 1.

If S. Korea wins, or we draw, we are guarnteed to advance to the round of 16. Still, I am pulling for both an American and Portugeese win. :)

-Turtle

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The game between Portugal and S. Korea will be the biggest game in the final week for obvious reasons.

A host nation has never failed to reach the knock-out round, will S. Korea be the first?

It would be a grave disapointment if Portugal looses out, they are a class squad, talent wise; and would continue to be a threat to make the finals, if they make it through to the round-16. Beating S. Korea in that last match will be a task; I hope they do it.

If Agoos plays v Poland, then the Poles will have a chance at redeaming their world cup. At this point they will be 2nd from the bottom (0 pts, GD -6), just ahead of Saudi Arabia (0 pts, GD -8). I still expect the US's speed on the flanks to overwhelm the Poles. Portugal is that much slower than the US, yet they were out dooling the Poles at will today. I would expect the same from US.
Bruce had only to scout the two games the Poles have played thus far to determine how to attack them. Good hunting lads.

To win the group "WE have DEFEAT Poland", If S. Korea defeats Portugal. The US will have to score 1 more goal than the Koreans do on the final day to head the group.A dras is no good ... A draw could leave us in third place by a goal ... "Agoos"

This, thus far, has been the most exciting, competative World Cup ... EVER.

USA, ALL THE WAY !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
A draw with the Poles will give us 5 points and ensure advancement to the round of sixteen. However, it is impossible for us to win the group with a draw.

If Portugal defeats Korea, Portugal will win the group with 6 points, and the Koreans go home with 4. They Koreans with the group if the have the victory (7 points), and the Portugeese finish third with a mere 3 points. The last possibility is a draw between the two. In that case the Koreans advance with 5 points (beating us out of first place with goal differntial), and the Portugeese miss out on second place with a total of 4 points.

A victory against Poland is a must to win the group, but a draw is all we need to advance. We must play for the win though, with our mistakes in the backline, playing for a draw will cost us the game :)

-Turtle

·
Registered
674 Posts
Calculus

Hern, I checked Turtle's math. It looks right to me. A draw equals 5 points for us and that will guarantee advancement!

Oldplayer

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do we want to play Italy or Mexico?

I've gotta think we pick the poison we know best--Mexico.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Going up against Mexico would also draw more media attention locally, which would be another plus.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to mention it would be really sweet to kick their :ass:, and send them home crying!! :D :D

-Turtle

·
Registered
541 Posts
Oh yes, we want Mexico. It would be an even match, lots of fouls, lots of cards, lots of goals. 3 for us and 2 for them.

I would also love to see those Korean speed demons going at the Italian wall. I think they would run the Azzuri into the lawn.:tongue:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Kerry if the Koreans do play Italy in the Next round you can bet your bottom dollar the Italians will be down to at least ( men by the end of it.:D

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ummm..funny how you guys are counting out Croatia....it will be italy and Croatia advancing from group G...I guarantee it.....;)

Mexico is toast.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I dread playing Croatia. I think they have the lineup to make us look 2nd class. They aren't faring as well as they did in France, but they could turn it around at any moment.

We just don't know, but I bet there are more surprises to come. Sweden and Argentine are tied at the half. Same with England and Nigeria.

Ain't it great?:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts