Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ronaldo, the legend, the man who was doomed by the world as a crippled overrated player, who came back to achieve the highest glory scoring more goals in a world cup than anybody else in the last 30 years, who made his detractors swallow their theories about his decadence, who had a central part in reversing and ridiculizing the lunatic theory of the decadence of brazilian football...Ronaldo, the great Ronaldo, he seems to be lost on a road to nowhere right now. The situation is completely different from that in 2000-2002. If back then he was a mistery, and a bet courageously taken by Felipão (who was called a crazyman by those who were sure that Ronaldo was a cripple), right now everything is very clear for everybody to see, there's not then "unknown" factor anymore. We see Ronaldo playing week after week, regularly, for years in a row, and what we see is this:

1) he can hardly conclude a more or less complex attacking action, and usually he's the one factor that disrupts the action. Giving him the ball is day after day becoming a risky attitude, almost synonimous with losing the attack.

2) he loses over 80% of the 1x1 fights, situations that once were his specialty, and where he usually established an absolute advantage over the defending enemy, made of physical superiority, sheer velocity and skills. Not only he's far from being the best on these attacking situations today, but he seems to fare worse then most "ok" strikers playing in good leagues. Scary...

3) The goals he scores today are usually goals that my aunt would have scored.

4) His dribbling skills, once talked about as a something that would make a difference from him and other explosive, physical strikers, are each day more erratic, and when they show up they don't have the same naturality and fluidity of other times.

5) Like any giant living on past glory, he lacks self-criticism, and won't recognize his problems, which are many.

6) He has already achieved glory, fortune, greatness, women. Will he give his blood when Brazil will be losing 3-2 against Italy in the 40th minute of 2nd halftime in the 2nd round of quarter-finals of Germany 2006? I don't think so.

In other words, this time, if Ronaldo surprises everybody again and appears in Germany playing like a genius, it will be more unbelievable than in 2002, because this time we've seen him playing very bad football for the last 2 or 3 years. There's no mystery this time, no year of absence from the pitch.

In my humble opinion, this present-day Ronaldo may seal a brazilian catastrophe in Germany. Let's hope that it won't happen.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Jorge Ben said:
Ronaldo, the legend, the man who was doomed by the world as a crippled overrated player, who came back to achieve the highest glory scoring more goals in a world cup than anybody else in the last 30 years, who made his detractors swallow their theories about his decadence, who had a central part in reversing and ridiculizing the lunatic theory of the decadence of brazilian football...Ronaldo, the great Ronaldo, he seems to be lost on a road to nowhere right now. The situation is completely different from that in 2000-2002. If back then he was a mistery, and a bet courageously taken by Felipão (who was called a crazyman by those who were sure that Ronaldo was a cripple), right now everything is very clear for everybody to see, there's not then "unknown" factor anymore. We see Ronaldo playing week after week, regularly, for years in a row, and what we see is this:

1) he can hardly conclude a more or less complex attacking action, and usually he's the one factor that disrupts the action. Giving him the ball is day after day becoming a risky attitude, almost synonimous with losing the attack.

2) he loses over 80% of the 1x1 fights, situations that once were his specialty, and where he usually established an absolute advantage over the defending enemy, made of physical superiority, sheer velocity and skills. Not only he's far from being the best on these attacking situations today, but he seems to fare worse then most "ok" strikers playing in good leagues. Scary...

3) The goals he scores today are usually goals that my aunt would have scored.

4) His dribbling skills, once talked about as a something that would make a difference from him and other explosive, physical strikers, are each day more erratic, and when they show up they don't have the same naturality and fluidity of other times.

5) Like any giant living on past glory, he lacks self-criticism, and won't recognize his problems, which are many.

6) He has already achieved glory, fortune, greatness, women. Will he give his blood when Brazil will be losing 3-2 against Italy in the 40th minute of 2nd halftime in the 2nd round of quarter-finals of Germany 2006? I don't think so.

In other words, this time, if Ronaldo surprises everybody again and appears in Germany playing like a genius, it will be more unbelievable than in 2002, because this time we've seen him playing very bad football for the last 2 or 3 years. There's no mystery this time, no year of absence from the pitch.

In my humble opinion, this present-day Ronaldo may seal a brazilian catastrophe in Germany. Let's hope that it won't happen.
Just give him the damn ball :D:D:D

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
PS. He gets no service in Madrid. If you think about it, R9 has scored in his last 2 selecao games, and was TOP SCORER of the S.A. Qualifiers...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yeah, like Henry has incredible service in Arsenal, and Toni has the best players of the world assisting him in Fiorentina.

I don't think he will sink Brazil, but anyway, another useless topic. Not because of Jorge Ben's arguments, but every thread that exists to critiscize Ronaldo in this forum has the same BS of "he's a victim, he gets no service, he's booed".

If someone is reading my post, just read this summary of what Brazilians will say; He's perfect, he's in form, he still is the best player in the world....

Don't waste your time. Now you can change the thread.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Yeah, like Henry has incredible service in Arsenal, and Toni has the best players of the world assisting him in Fiorentina.
I bet they do...

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Jorgensen is younger and does not SLOW DOWN the game much...
Anyone is better than Crapham....
Pazzini better than Robinho? Not technically but Robinho holds the ball too damn long and he never passes to O Fenomeno when R9 is open!

You should watch RM more often mate ;)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Hey Roberto I want to let you know you should consider posting more in the Inter forum..I really value ur opinions...

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
Yeaaah suuuuree.....

Ronaldo is perfect.

Didn't I tell you that this thread was all about that?

Perfect? Well not exactly :D...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Ronaldo has been crap for quite a while now. I think that if we disguised Ronaldo as any other player in the world, he wouldn't survive either in Real Madrid or in Brazil for 2 consecutive matches. The thing is many people think about 2002, and believe that ressurection can happen again. I don't think so. I think that the end of this fairy tale can be very sour. Of course he's already a legend, a hero and a millionaire, what does he care...

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Jorge Ben said:
I think Ronaldo has been crap for quite a while now. I think that if we disguised Ronaldo as any other player in the world, he wouldn't survive either in Real Madrid or in Brazil for 2 consecutive matches. The thing is many people think about 2002, and believe that ressurection can happen again. I don't think so. I think that the end of this fairy tale can be very sour. Of course he's already a legend, a hero and a millionaire, what does he care...
what does he care? There are too many records on the line, to further add to his legacy. Believe me come June, R9 will bring his A-game!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Al Capone:
Thanks man. I was active in the Inter form a while ago, a lot of fights (in a good level) there trying to convince people Veron was not over, lol. Now I don't have as much time as I had before, but when I can, it's my pleasure to post there. Inter is my favourite big Italian team (since my Lazio can't be considered a challenger for scudetto anymore, I prefer Inter over Juventus and Milan).

·
Registered
290 Posts
ronaldo was........ still is one of the most dangerous striker of the game. he always delivers when it does matter....... unlike a certain henry..... im expecting nothing less but 7 goals from him......

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I dont see how Ronaldo can sink Brazil,even when he is crap,he is better than most,and if he can't deliver which I doubt,there are others who can.

People like Cris,Juan,RJ can sink Brazil faster than anyone ,should open a thread about them.
As for Gallo: it gets old. :sleepy:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
There Is Only One Person That May Sink Brazil

and he is not a player

I am talking of CAP

(unless some miracle happens and he gets out of his coma,you can only pray for that)

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
he may indeed sink Brazil, he did after all choke in 1998. :neutral:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Times, today

"HE USED to be a big-game player, now he is just big. A legend in his own lunch hour who no longer has what it takes to terrorise top defences."

Michel Platini, yesterday

“I heard about the story that Arsenal and Real Madrid would swap (Thierry) Henry for Ronaldo,” he said. “There would only be one winner in that deal; Arsène Wenger is not stupid. Ronaldo has too many years (29) and too many kilos, he is not the player he was.”

Maybe they're all wrong, again. But this time it's harder to believe that they are...

1 - 20 of 92 Posts