·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, will he?

·
A true hero
31,430 Posts
No, he is absolutely ideal for modern day EPL football. An old EPL/Liga hybrid that now relies on skill and technical ability as much as pace. Seeing as Robinho can do skill quickly, he's ideal.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
NO, they are so rich that they will bring in a World Class Coach, probably Brazilian to ensure that he and the future new-signings dont flop.

sorry Mr. Mark Hughes.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Honestly, this idea that the premier league is unsuitable for skillful foreign players is one of the greatest myths in modern football. It's fast at times, sure, but overly physical? Don't be silly. Long gone are the days where butchers used to dominate midfields. Skillfull players are protected as much as they ever have been.

If Robinho flops, it will be because of his own poor performances or mad things happening at Man City. As Rob says, the league is perfect for him at the moment. Can't wait to see what this guy can do.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Well he seems like a sensitive kid, so I'm saying yes. The expectations on him are going to remain large after being made out as the star of the team. That and the fact that many Brazilians before him haven't lived up to the hype.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I will wait for some games to make that call, it all depends where he will play and how much freedom he gets around the box. Watching Chelsea/Spur last week with Anelka and later Kalou I think there is a lot of space for people running off the ball.

·
A true hero
31,430 Posts
Well he seems like a sensitive kid, so I'm saying yes. The expectations on him are going to remain large after being made out as the star of the team. That and the fact that many Brazilians before him haven't lived up to the hype.
Not so much the case lately though. Elano and Anderson especially did a lot to change that last year as skill based Brazilians (rather than un-Brazilian style players like Gilberto Silva) who thrived over here.

Plus I think only France has more premiership based players than Brazil (other than England obv) now, so he has plenty of company. Plus three other Brazilians at the club to help him settle.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
plus its the first time EPL signs a high profile Brasilian player, the last time I remember a brasilian name that big in EPL was with Juninho Paulista and he did well in his first couple of seasons for Boro.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Won't flop, but won't justify 35 million quid. Not that matters in modern football.

·
A true hero
31,430 Posts
People can say he's too dainty all they want and it might take him a few games to get up to speed. But when you consider that these guys are some of the better players in the league at the moment.

Then perhaps it's not so important to be big and strong after all.

·
Registered
45,393 Posts
Depends what expectations you have of him in spite of the system he should be playing in and with the players he'll be playing with. I suppose the common expectation will be that he'll be the main player in leading City to a top 4 finish? I don't think he'll be able to do that, purely because of the strength of the existing top 4.

Would be happy for him to prove me wrong though.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I can't forsee them dropping Petrov so I think he'll probably play a deep lying striker role behind Jo. Hughes isn't a moron, I think he'll be aware that he'll need to give Robinho freedom.

·
A true hero
31,430 Posts
I don't know who they'll drop really. On paper you would assume Robinho, Jo, Elano, Petrov, SWP and Johnson should all start, but then they just bought Kompany as a DM. Plus Ireland is a very good player. Plus that line up seems a bit offensive.

Now is not a good time to be Gelson Fernandes or Darius Vassell. :(

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Jo will be a certainty I would imagine. Then it's a case of finding a way to put Petrov, Robinho, Elano, SWP and Ireland in the same team. Hughes did try Elano as a central midfielder and maybe see's him as a Tugay type player so maybe he could be pushed deeper.

I think this would be their strongest line-up.

----------------------Jo-------------------------

Robinho-----------Elano--------------SWP-------

--------------Johnson--------Kompany-----------

That would mean leaving out Petrov, but it has that balance between defence and attack. If Robinho's on a wing then you'll need two proper central midfielders to cover for him in wide area's. Ball won't be able to cope on his own.

Hughest really has a dilemma though.

·
A true hero
31,430 Posts
I hope Ball enjoys his half season playing first team football with these guys before he gets replaced by Zhirkov or Lahm or someone.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
If he plays his prefered position in a leadership role, than I think he will do well. Thats a lot of ifs, but not too big of ifs. I think it will take a bit for him to get settled though. 3 to 5 games before he does anything spectacular (he will shine in his debut for sure though!)

1 - 20 of 205 Posts