Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the signings of Cherou, and the two Senagalese players, do the Liverpool fans think that the formation and style of play will change? These players are very attack minded so who will Houllier have to drop to make way for them?

Please show me your srtongest staring 11:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'd like to see them using more attacking formations next season. It worked really well when we did use it last year. (Newcastle, Man Utd, Roma etc at home) I think we definitely have the players to do it, and it will definitely excite us more to see the ball played along the ground quickly in short, cutting through balls than hooving it up to Heskey and Owen again.

I think that we should adopt a more attacking style, but still play Hamman in the holding midfield role.

As for the strongest eleven, it is difficult to say at the moment and it is only opinion but this is what I would like to see.

Dudek
Carragher (If Riise didn't start, he could fill in for Carragher at left back, to offer more attacking width from fulback.)
Babbel
Hyypia
Henchoz
Hamman
Gerrard
Diao/Riise/Cheyrou
Litmanen
Owen
Diouf

Playing a 4-1-2-1-2. Gerrard on the right of the diamond and either Diao, Riise or Cheyrou on the left (though not right out on the flanks). With Litmanen supplying through balls to Owen and Diouf. If we still played Heskey and Owen, which is more than likely, we need one out and out winger imo, possibly Cheyrou or Smicer could do that job. My dream formation is probably wishful thinking though...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Diouf is capable of bcoming a super star, but Heskey really is not good enough.

It should be a smashing season!

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I don't think there is one Liverpool fan who would really prefer Liverpool to play defensively!! I for one hope they do attack and go beserk on teams (especially the relatively smaller ones).. but to be honest.. with the signings GH has made (or is on course to do so [Diouf]).. it seems it will be something of the same sort of last year.. Diao is a defensive midfielder.. kinda like Hamann only a bit up the field.. more like Gerrard.. Cheyrou is a left midfielder not winger.. so I won't expect an Overmars, Kewell or Giggs type of player.. maybe (and hopefuly) something like Pires.. As for Diouf.. well the recent WC matches have made it clear that he has no problems working as a loan striker.. but most importantly.. his team ARE playing the long ball.. and well.. I can't say he's been a smash hit with it.. as he's been caught offside on numerous occasions.. but you could also see from the games that he does prefer to receive the ball at his feet and work wonders..

My starting 11.. hmmmm I think it would be something like this:

Dudek

Babbel, Henchoz, Hyypia, Riise

Gerrard, Hamann, Litmanen, Cheyrou

Owen, Diouf (if he signs)

Hopefully this year, I'd like to see more of Biscan (I would love to know how this guy will get his Work Permit renewed!!) and I'd like to see him tried as a Central Defender.. in for Hyypia or Henchoz if the oppurtunity arrises.. Barmby returning could add a lot of zest to the flanks.. and with Smicer staying.. well.. I'd keep Nick on the bench as Vlad has been very inconsistent!!

But to say the truth.. it is a bit early to comment on our starting 11 as the transfer market is far from over.. GH has promised two more signings.. and with the WC still on for 2 more weeks.. expect all hell to break loose in July!! :)

Di'Raggio, You've got one thing for sure.. It's gonna be a SMACKING season :) may the best team win.. :D

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
All of a sudden, everyone esp you Yasir has forgotten Danny Murphy, one of my hero from your list! :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
I want to see:

--------------------Dudek

Babbel-----Hyypia-----Henchoz-----Riise

-------------------Hamann

Gerrard----------------------------Duff (please please sign him no matter how much it costs)
--------------------Litmanen

---------------Owen------Diouf

What we will probably see:

---------------------------------Dudek

Babbel/Carragher----Hyypia----Henchoz----Riise/Carragher/Vignal

Murphy/Smicer/Barmby-----Hamann----Gerrard/Murphy---Cheyrou/Riise

----------------------Owen-----Heskey

And all the decent players playing squad rotation

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
THe team I would like to have:
Dudek
Babbel/Carragher - Henchoz - Hyypia - Vignal/Carragher
(We need a right winger)/Barmby - Gerrard/Cheyrou/Litmanen - Hamann/Diao - Riise/Smicer
Owen/Diouf - Heskey/Baros

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Bodat said:
All of a sudden, everyone esp you Yasir has forgotten Danny Murphy, one of my hero from your list! :(
To say the truth.. I DID forget about him :D But to say the truth.. I can't see Danny as a 1st teamer.. what I mean by that is that I don't consider him as someone who should start day in day out.. he's certainly an excellent utility player.. and a hardworking one.. but he has a lot of flaws that he needs to work on.. mainly his first touch and passing..

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I have discussed this before and do not think that we should do it if it affects our game... makes us less succesful but I do not think that this will happen.

For me we have to progress the way that we have been doing for the pas three years now and the only way forward for me now is getting some creative influence in the midfield... this ultimately make us more attacking.

Will Gh do this I do not know... my heart says yes but my head says no but who knows...

I think that the only way that we will know for sure is by the players that are brought in in adition to those already signed... and I have a hunch that something new could be on the way... I mean we did bid for the very excitingly attaking Viana (wish that we had got him)...

Our best team when all are fit for me is:

-----------Dudek

Babbel Hyypia Henchoz ??????

????? Gerrard Hamaan Riise

----------Owen Heskey

Of course a lot depends on how the new guys settle...

????? indicates the places I think we may buy new players...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to see a 4-4-2 formation like this

Dudek

Babbel Henchoz Hyypia Vignal

Gerrard Hamann Cheyrou Riise

Owen Diouf

With Babbel and Vignal making overlapping runs with Gerrard and Riise.Also the ball being played along the floor more as there wont be the airial power of Heskey.

I can just see Diouf with his back to the defence recieving the ball and with his first touch doing a fancy flick for hamann to smack it home from 25 yrds out.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Alot has been said about the direction Houllier will take the side and alot of people think that Houllier is trying to steer Liverpool the same way he took France, build a solid team then let it evolve, When he arrived he tended to play 442 and switch to 451 three quarters of the way through the game, then he moved from 451 to 442 & 4411, this year we've seen 41212, 433, 442, 4132.

However the more I look at the team and the signings coming in the more I think that this year peoples predictions might actually come true, a 433 variant may be the way he is going.

Houllier has been playing around with a 433 formation for a while now, you could argue that this formation has provided us with our best two performances of the season, the Newcastle and Roma games were our two outstanding performances last seaon. We showed a flair and attacking skill that has been missed while playing other formations.

The French system is to have a lone striker with two other layers sitting behind who are given License to rome in and around the penalty box, down the flanks, drop deep push forward. The midfield is made up of two tough tackling all action midfielders protecting the teams playmaker, and then your back four with attacking full backs.

France Line up

--------DT--------
--TH---------CD--
------------------
----PV--ZZ--EP----
------------------
BL---FL----MD---LT

Trezeguet the main striker supported by Henry and Dugarry, Veira and Petite provide the midfield bite and Zidane between the two is the creative force, the full backs overlap and provide width along with Henry and Dugarry who float around.

Liverpool currently appear to be buying players that will accomodate this formation.

Liverpool (possible)

--------MO--------
--EH----------ED--
------------------
----DH--BC--SG----
------------------
JR---SH----SH---MB

Owen as the lone striker with Heskey and Diouf providing the support both in the box and down the flanks. Hamann and Gerrard are the bite in midfield with Cheyrou the creative force, Riise and Babbel provide support and width with H&H doing the usual job.

Without the ball this formation can simply turn a three man midfield into 5 with Heskey and Diouf dropping into your conventional wide players.

If people are right and Houllier IS building towards a 433 variation based on the French system then we could see the attacking football people crave.

Will it happen? we seem to be buying for it. I doubt we'll see it all the time but maybe it is the way Houllier is heading.
=====================================

Yesterday the Guardian printed quotes from Diouf that stated that during his meeting with Houllier his role at the club was discussed. Diouf confirmed that Houllier sees Diouf playing behind Heskey and Owen in an attacking three.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The 4-4-3 formation would be interesting to see but I still wonder, and more to the point orry about the lack of a winger type player who can drift pat players...

At the end of the day if we play this formation then this may nagate the need for a winger...

The more I hear it the more convinced I am as it seems to dispose of our 'problem' positions and if Diouf and Cheyrou realise their potential then we have improvd ou arracking options.

The problem with it are there though... Riise for me is a far better left winger than a left back.
We may stillrely too mch on Owen as well with Heskey and Diouf contributin mainly in supplying him with chances

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Dun deceive yourself
lets admit in
Houllier will def play Murphy as first choice..

·
Registered
441 Posts
------------Dudek

Babbel Hyypia Henchoz Riise

--------Hamaan/Diao

----Gerrard-------Cheyrou/Biscan/Murphy

-----Litmanen/Smicer/ Obviously Duff would be good here

-----------------------Heskey

-----Owen/Diouf

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Diouf looks good but his finishing skills leaves a lot to be desired.He has shown a lot of flair in this year's WC but couldn't conjure up a goal.GH will have to work on this aspect of his game because Liverpool needs another attacking option specially with the worthless Heskey shooting blanks in front of goal.It puts too much pressure on Owen to come up with the goodsall the time.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
worthless Heskey shooting blanks in front of goal.
Little fact everyone seems to forget is when Heskey was played as a STRIKER he scored 22 goals. Last season he was played more as an attacking midfielder and so naturally didn't score as many.

PS: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stone, especially when Forlan is a team member.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stone, especially when Forlan is a team member.
I was expecting such a response.:rollani:

Forlan joined us in the latter half of last season and if you didnt know it takes a bit of time to get accustomed to the new style of play and none more so than in England.;)

Also Forlan wasn't our regular starter but rather Ole and Ruud,who between themselves conjured up 50+ goals during the season.:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Di'Raggio said:
I think Diouf is capable of bcoming a super star, but Heskey really is not good enough.

It should be a smashing season!
hahahha heskey dominated the air war against your centre backs last season, and probably will do again this season.

no matter which fruitcake you stick in the middle of your defence.

and diouf is gonna plunder your tender rosebud

1 - 20 of 24 Posts