Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.arsenal-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=192073

Arsene Wenger faces a selection headache prior to Sunday's encounter with Chelsea - i.e. which keeper gets the nod?

Manuel Almunia has started two games now, and the boss has revealed that the keeper's feeling the pressure, saying:

"I am a great believer in Manuel Almunia's potential. I just feel that he's playing under such a big pressure that he's not really himself.

"It's a national debate when we change a player, so it's not the best conditions for him to come into the team, especially when you don't have huge experience. It's very difficult for him."

"I feel he showed his potential on some occasions and made a fantastic save in the first half - That's when you saw the real him - But there were other times, when he had a bit more time to make his decisions, that he suffered a bit more from the pressure, like for the goal.

"You only see the pressure is getting to him if he plays. It is quite easy to be hard on him if you've never played the game. Every small mistake that he makes becomes a big problem, but every keeper can make mistakes like that."

Personally I feel that Jens should return to first team action - He's had a break, and having been usurped by his understudy he'll want the opportunity to prove his worth again. Experience counts in these big games and Jens has the credentials.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Lehmann should come back for sure, we can't risk Almunia, he may be a decent keeper, but the defence looks nervy with him there and he looks nervy himself.

if we want to test him it should be against a smaller team later on, not in a game like this one.

·
63,337 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
IMO, Stuart Taylor has been our best goalkeeper...

why Zhuge ? what is this thing with Taylor being so good all of a sudden ? he hasn't played for almost two years, and then he wasn't even better than Seaman. :googly:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Umm...let just say that I am not satisfied enough with Lehmann, too much blunder. And I like Taylor, he is better than Richard Wright and did his best when the main defenders we have are Cygan and old Keown. I always want him to be our 'Casillas' or 'Victor Valdes'.

·
63,337 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
I always want him to be our 'Casillas' or 'Victor Valdes'.
:D

well so do i, but that doesn't mean he will be, i don't see any evidence to suggest it to be honest, but we can always dream. :shades:

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
I've always been a fan of Stuart Taylor and at least believe he deserves the chance before getting kicked out head first...

Reminds me of that picture I had on my wall some years ago, a picture of Seaman and Taylor training together. Underneath it it stood with big bold letters:"The Great One & The Next One". ;)

And for some time it looked set to be that way(with Wright leaving the club) but then injuries and most of all a german bloke came along to block Taylors way... :(

Alumnia was awfull in the last game so I'm not sure if I can believe what Wenger sad about "it's just the pressure playing tricks with his skills"...hmm.

And Lehmann, well, on paper I would still say Lehmann our best choice although he might not have been the most uncrushable wall lately.

As this is a big game and Alumnia obviously isn't up to play in those just yet(did you notice his skills on the high balls against Rosenborg? God awfull...) and as Taylor isn't in form(or atleast shouldn't be so considered he hasn't played for such a long time) I believe it's time for Jens to return to the first team.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
from what i have seen, aluminia on his day is an excellent excellent keeper. but maybe, all the mistakes he has been making have been down to nerves, and maybe he will overcome this by the chelsea game, and so that is why i think he should start. and anwyays, wenger knows......

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Lehmann must play! And while we're on the subject of Taylor, on the few occasions I have seen him he has been great, in the Valencia match a few years ago he came in and played really well with pretty much no CL experience.

Lehmann for Sunday!

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Interesting thread :cool:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I want to seee Stu Taylor back. I have a feeling he will come back from his 3 month loan spell and move into the 1st team. I think he will keep for the FA cup if he comes back in time.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
gunner4ever said:
I want to seee Stu Taylor back. I have a feeling he will come back from his 3 month loan spell and move into the 1st team. I think he will keep for the FA cup if he comes back in time.

hellllo ..
where does this 'Taylor Should Come In' thingy started from? :rolleyes:

I think Lehmann had been doing fairly well for us. Wenger just tried Almunia, I guess he wanted to see how he performs and fairs in the Premiership. He might be using some of his man-management skills to assure that Almunia gets his confidence back after the howler against Manure.
After all, u are given a chance after so many games and u make a big time blunder which pulls your team out of the competition, then ur morale suffers drastically. So Wenger might've thought of giving him a chance so that he gets his confidence back. It was jst bad luck that he messed it up in the next two matches as well.
Almunia is no The Next Big Thing. We all knew when he was signed that he is equally good as Lehmann. We bought him most probably as a backup goalkeeper. And you need to give some chances to the bloke , whom u have spent some money on.

Almunia might again play against Chelsea. Gut feeling ;)

nEEbz

·
63,337 Posts
nEEbz said:
hellllo ..
where does this 'Taylor Should Come In' thingy started from? :rolleyes:
my thoughts exactly nEEbz, i don't seem to remember these great performances from Taylor, i think it might be absence makes the heart gro fonder coming into play. :shades:

tbh, i quite hope Almunia plays now after the slaughtering he has got in the media, i have never known a player get so much stick after he played 1 CC game and 1 EPL game where he kept a clean sheet, it's like the Media were calling for Lehmann's head then they won't even give his replacement a chance, like they are willing a man's career to fail before it has started. :yuck:

he deserves to play Sunday if only to prove himself and regain his dignity by shoving it down the throats of all that have slagged him.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Do you get the feeling that Wenger made this desision to change the goalkeeper to deflect the attention away from our outfield players, who in all honestly were to blame for our bad run. Instead of the press talking about our run, they are now focussing on the goalkeeoing situation.

I think Alumina will get another chance.

·
63,337 Posts
no, i think Wenger genuine believes he deserved a chance, i don't think he could have predicted the way the media have turned on Almunia this quickly, i don't think anyone could, imagine if he was English ? they would probably be saying he's a good prospect and needs time. ;)

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
To be frank i was waiting for this time. I know Wenger would use him sometime but I wasnt really expecting at such a crucial stage of UCL and Premiership.
I think the concept of defence lacking in faith with Almunia between the sticks is rubbish. They see him perform in the training and Wenger brought him in the first team after seeing his training performances mostly. Add to that, Wenger must've made sure that the team is comfortable with Almunia playing.

He needs time seriously. The mistakes he did in the last three matches were something which goal keepers dont even do in the third division. Nerves were playing the role and he'll surely work on them in the upcoming matches.

In terms of Chelsea match Lehmann and Almunia are more of the same for me. Whoever you play, it'll hardly effect the overall result.

nEEbz

·
63,337 Posts
that's true, according to Koeman who watches La Liga a lot, Almunia performed well last season , no heroics but certainly not a major blunder keeper, the pressure is different here and he has to adapt to that but if he wasn't throwing them in in La Liga there is no other reason he should be throwing them in in England, obviously it is more physical here but that is nothing to do with shot stopping.

he just needs time, he is a good 27 year old prospect :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts