Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's maturing with every game he's playing and becoming a star for Athletic now. So, do you guys think we'll be able to keep him next season with us, after seeing him progressing tremendously fast? My main fear is Rafa Benitez, he might want to poach Javi if he stays at Liverpool next season.
Please post your comments and thoughts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my opinion he is too young and raw to leave Athletic, he would be much better served playing at San Mames for at least another 2-3 seasons.

He is developing into a top class player but still has lots to learn.

I hope he does stay though

Although I suppose if liverpool bid 15-20 million euros the club would think about cashing in? signed him for 6 million euros was it?

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
I doubt Liverpool is after him right now, they watched his situation and obviously keeping "eyes" on an important prospect like Javi is essential for top clubs. But I remember we were linked with him before and Rafa came out and totally denied it, he only denies it when there is genuinely no interest and thats where I think we are now. The midfield area seems to contain a good level of players so I don't think we are looking to change that.

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
I really hope Javi stays at Athletic whoever comes in for him.

I know there might be interest from Liverpool and probably other clubs if he carries on playing as well as he has been recently. And I'm sure if Javi is an ambitious lad (as most footballer are) he would like to move to a club like Liverpool.

But looking at the midfielders currently at Liverpool there's no guarantee of first team football, just look at Momo Sissoko. Didn't work out for him and he's at Juve now. Also Del Horno was at Chelsea for two seasons before he was sold to Valencia (and now back at Athletic).

Also being a basque, it would (I hope) mean a lot more to Javi to achieve success at Athletic than any other club. And for Athletic to do well they need to keep their best players and have them on their prime. Obviously if the player wants to leave then that's a different situation but if Athletic are in the position to choose whether to keep Javi they should keep him.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Why would someone change Athletic for Liverpool? :confused:

His rescision clause is of 24 million € until 2010, from 2010 to 2012 when he finishes contract it will be of 30 million €.

The best he can do is stay in Athletic and grow together with the team, and with people as Ustaritz, Amorebieta, Susaeta, Llorente, Garmendia, Isma López etc... added to Iraizoz, Iraola, Gurpegi, Orbaiz, López, Yeste, Aduriz...

In fact he's being one of the main precursors of bringing his personal friend Natxo Monreal for next season, I doubt he would be doing that if he would be thinking about leaving. Athletic is not a seller club, even if Lamikiz & Olabarria say the opposite (Del Horno). We've seen the consequences...

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
I think it was one of Athletic's early english coaches, who, when called by the british embassy to leave Bilbao due to the begin of the spanish civil war said something like... "I prefer Bilbao with bombs and wine than London without bombs and wine". Well, Liverpool is not London but... it can apply.:tongue: He stayed, of course.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
He was probably a drunk Geordie I assume ;)

On a serious note can you tell me about the Basque-Brasilian who played for Athletic a while ago. Maybe not in this thread because it will divert the conversation, something I seem to be doing (apologies, tread starter) but in another thread possibly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

His rescision clause is of 24 million € until 2010, from 2010 to 2012 when he finishes contract it will be of 30 million €.

The best he can do is stay in Athletic and grow together with the team, and with people as Ustaritz, Amorebieta, Susaeta, Llorente, Garmendia, Isma López etc... added to Iraizoz, Iraola, Gurpegi, Orbaiz, López, Yeste, Aduriz...

In fact he's being one of the main precursors of bringing his personal friend Natxo Monreal for next season, I doubt he would be doing that if he would be thinking about leaving. Athletic is not a seller club, even if Lamikiz & Olabarria say the opposite (Del Horno). We've seen the consequences...
That is exactly my point. Athletic as a club also has ambitions right? They wouldn't want to be a mid table side each season with the aim of just avoiding the relegation each season. So if the club wants to progress they must keep their best players unless the player is not happy.

Anyway, as far as my knowledge is right, Basques are known for the loyalty towards their club and Athletic is known for nurturing their young talent so that they can become star for them in the future as they can't sign non-Basque players?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe not in this thread because it will divert the conversation, something I seem to be doing (apologies, tread starter) but in another thread possibly.
You are the administrator, so you know better. ;) I have no problems anyways. :)

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
I hope he stays, Javí is class already and will only become better and better with time ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When Liverpool were rumored to be interested in him, his said, "I watch EPL on television and I love the atmosphere there." Hence he was very much interested in a move to England.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I am on the opposite way...:)

If Athletic is not a selling club, please explain Zubizarreta, Karanka, Alkorta, Salinas and even Lizarazu. When it is exceptional talent, Athletic seem to sell, unfortunately. Still, it might be more talents staying than leaving, but I don't feel too confident.
Still, I don't know any basque at the moment that we are not able to buy, except from Alonso. And that in our best position, so I don't really care (and hey, I am still following Liverpool:))

What do we know of Martinez's commitment to athletic? He is from Navarra, and doesn't seem to have a basque name, either. "How basque is he?"
That is also a general question; less than half of Athletic seem to have basque names; do they feel spanish living in Euskal Herria, or are they basques with spanish names?

mellansnack

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Didn't Javier Aguirre call him for a much bigger talent than Raul Garcia?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Didn't Javier Aguirre call him for a much bigger talent than Raul Garcia?
..and still Osasuna sold both Raul and Javi for nothing really. Same is with Athletic, everytime an exceptional player is in the making, they sell him. How will the club progress if they keep selling the limited talented they have, with limited options from recruiting.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
can anyone tell me hhis best position.
i was arguing with one of my mates and he said that martinez is a DM while whenever i have watched him(not many time though) he seems a central midfielder to me just like raul garcia....one who is an allround midfielder not particularly good at defence.

can anyone clarify

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If he is going to England, I rather want to see him in Southampton or Sunderland that Liverpool. It might think he is still in Athletic because of similar Jersey:rolleyes:

Ok, that was just silly joke, but I think it is possible that he can leave Athletic. Question is when and will he shine in other club?? And IMO, he is more like CM player.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts