Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay folks, let's keep it all to one thread :)
History thread needs updating...
also this is to help GM finish his great article :thumbsup:

GM I've uploaded the first 5 pages from a chapter in Gaz Lineker's book about the Aranycsapat here if it is useful I'll upload the rest.

If anyone knows of any articles pics, or anything that should go in the history thread.... speak now :D

·
AKA Galloping Shakespeare
2,288 Posts
thanks Bentex, I d/l'd the Gary Lineker part 1, I'm looking forward to the rest of the stuff. By the way, here's a good little factiod. If anybody asks you who was the winningest coach in the history of the world game in terms of winning ratio per game, you can confidently say it was coach Sebes for any coach who put in more than 30 matches in managerial career. 72.06 winning % (http://www.geocities.com/maximolenev/Treners-Sbor.htm)

Also you can also confidently say that the Golden Team went 4 years and 1 day without defeat, the longest run in the history of the sport http://www.geocities.com/maximolenev/Sbornye.htm#1

An if anybody asks you which team was the first to defeat the USSR at home, you can also say it was the good buddyroos in the Golden Team. Do you have any footage of that 1-0 win in Moscow (sept 23, 1956)? Czibor got a 16th minute goal past Yashin. That must of been some game to watch.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
GallopingMajor said:
if anybody asks you which team was the first to defeat the USSR at home, you can also say it was the good buddyroos in the Golden Team. Do you have any footage of that 1-0 win in Moscow (sept 23, 1956)? Czibor got a 16th minute goal past Yashin. That must of been some game to watch.
Really??? Never heard of that before. Are you sure it's not just Soviet propaganda. If that is the case I wonder why so much fuss was made of beating England at Wembley, yet the USSR remained unbeaten at home? And why didn't the West highlight this USSR failure during the cold war.

1956 as well, exactly one month before it all kicked off it BP. :undecide:

So the Soviets coming back to crush the uprising was all Czibors fault!

I want to find out more about this game.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GallopingMajor said:
thanks Bentex, I d/l'd the Gary Lineker part 1, I'm looking forward to the rest of the stuff.
okay, it's coming but I can't do it now.
maybe later today... I've got technical problems at Bentex TV studios :( I'm waiting for the technical department to arrive :rolleyes:

·
2,288 Posts
You know Bentex, since I started writting my 'Golden Team' wikipedia article good things started to flow for the NT team, you ever notice that? How many good things have come since mid-December, let's count the 4 or 5 things that happened since I started writing my article.

1.) New coach in Bozsik with blood lineage ties to the Golden Team, the best national team coach selection you could dream of, and Bozsik was a dark horse candidate.

2.) A very very soft and forgiving schedule for Euro 2008 qualifiers. FIFA and UEFA gave Hungary a mulligan with that easy schedule draw, and I don't think it was by accident.

3.) Co-hosting Euro 2012 with Croatia is still on the table and it looks strong, and UEFA is still entertaining the the Hungary-Croatia bid so it looks like a frontrunner.

4.) New management reshuffle at the NT front office that many people in this forum made a big deal about.

5.) Hungary was invited to by the English FA to play in "new Wembley" (prior to its re-scheduled it) to pay respects to the 1953 Wembley match. This is the highest compliment that England football can pay to Hungary out of nostaglia and reverence for the 1953 game. England didn't have to do it but it did.

6.) And no Hungary wasn't routed by Mexico in Pheonix by a four or five goal margin, but like I said it would be two goal margin which it was.

Now if this is not enough to build another good quality national team on and have at it to re-make another sensational central Danubian revival, I don't know what is. They've given Hungarian football all the breaks since December, its about the team shows up and plays like they were playing in a time warp circa 1954 and believe in that too.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) Not the best, Bölöni is the best.

2) you're dreaming, and every other country in the group thinks they got
the best draw aswell.

3) No, still looks like a waste of money to me (again).

4) positive :D

5) No, England inivited Hungary because Lothar said he'll let Sven pick
the team.

6) This was not Hungary, a match we shouldn't even bring up ever again.

:D

·
2,288 Posts
Ultrafox said:
Really??? Never heard of that before. Are you sure it's not just Soviet propaganda. If that is the case I wonder why so much fuss was made of beating England at Wembley, yet the USSR remained unbeaten at home? And why didn't the West highlight this USSR failure during the cold war.

1956 as well, exactly one month before it all kicked off it BP. :undecide:

So the Soviets coming back to crush the uprising was all Czibors fault!

I want to find out more about this game.
Ultrafox, it really isn't that big of a deal but in a way it was since it came 1 month before the 1956 uprising. The 1-0 win in Moscow was their swangsong game, and last great win for the 'Golden Team'

Results of USSR 1871-1960 (Home venue)

Date Opponent Venue Result Competition

8 Sep 1954 Sweden Home W 7-0 Friendly
26 Sep 1954 Hungary Home D 1-1 Friendly
21 Aug 1955 West Germany Home W 3-2 Friendly
16 Sep 1955 India Home W 11-1 Friendly
23 Oct 1955 France Home D 2-2 Friendly
23 May 1956 Denmark Home W 5-1 Friendly
11 Jul 1956 Israel Home W 5-0 Olympic Qual
23 Sep 1956 Hungary :lala: Home L 0-1 Friendly

The soviets had only seven games under their belt before Puskas came to town, scoring 4.86 gls/game at home.

By the way Bentex, where did FIFA and EUFA hold their annual parliment, edition XXX, yestersday? You guessed it, Budapest. Chalk that up to another positive thing, and millions of $$ was donated by those two organizations to help the NT federation with new infrastructural improvements. I'm telling you Bentex, somehow someway good things started flowin since I started my wiki article, or maybe I'm just superstituous. I want to see how my good pal Pista is handling all this good soccer news. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GallopingMajor said:
I want to see how my good pal Pista is handling all this good soccer news. :thumbsup:
he's hiding since USA lost to Germany :)

By the way Bentex, where did FIFA and EUFA hold their annual parliment, edition XXX, yestersday? You guessed it, Budapest.
just look at Nyilasi....

..... the dirty old devil :D

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
GallopingMajor said:
Ultrafox, it really isn't that big of a deal but in a way it was since it came 1 month before the 1956 uprising. The 1-0 win in Moscow was their swangsong game, and last great win for the 'Golden Team'

Results of USSR 1871-1960 (Home venue)

Date Opponent Venue Result Competition

8 Sep 1954 Sweden Home W 7-0 Friendly
26 Sep 1954 Hungary Home D 1-1 Friendly
21 Aug 1955 West Germany Home W 3-2 Friendly
16 Sep 1955 India Home W 11-1 Friendly
23 Oct 1955 France Home D 2-2 Friendly
23 May 1956 Denmark Home W 5-1 Friendly
11 Jul 1956 Israel Home W 5-0 Olympic Qual
23 Sep 1956 Hungary :lala: Home L 0-1 Friendly

The soviets had only seven games under their belt before Puskas came to town, scoring 4.86 gls/game at home.
I had a feeling it there was another reason. I looked up the USSR national team on Wikipeadia andit said they were founded in 1914 but not much else. I wonder what they where doing between 1914 and 1954?

·
Registered
55,821 Posts
we played twice against russia before tehy became sovjetunion, funny results:

1912, Július 12., Moszkva
Oroszország-Magyarország 0:9
G: Pataki (4), Schlosser (2), Kertész II (3)

1912, Július 14., Moszkva
Oroszország-Magyarország 0:12
G: Kertész II (3), Schlosser (5), Pataki (2), Tóth II, Bródy

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
26 Sep 1954 I want to see how my good pal Pista is handling all this good soccer news. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE said:
Would it be great if USA versus Hungary in a WC semifinal or final or even quaterfinal. I'd kill Bentex for a ticket to that game!

·
2,288 Posts
well I'm gonna hold off on writing anything on the wiki article for a while since I have a lot of things to do especially with my new work schedule. I'll check back on it in a few months to see if anybody has written anything to it since it is an open editable article for anyone to pitch into (i just hope whoever puts more to it can write fairly well and knows the facts on the game with brazil of berne, the 54 semi and final, the other 18 game win streak and the 1-0 win in moscow and to top it off with an intro into the 1956 events and the breakup of the team, and that'll about do it for the article). you guys are all welcome to pick up where i left off writing - just before halftime in the 54 quarterfinal.

·
Registered
55,821 Posts
Pista said:
[
Would it be great if USA versus Hungary in a WC semifinal or final or even quaterfinal. I'd kill Bentex for a ticket to that game!
USA 32-1 Hungary that would be, thus I don't think it's great at all. we better compete with Trinidad&Barbados, or Malta&Barbados, or San Marino&Barbados, or Panama&Barbados, or Andorra&Barbados, as the Major likes them to be called :flirt:

·
2,288 Posts
I'm with Pista with his thinking, who's also the only American on these forums who was born in the old country.

I don't live in Hungary, I live in the USA have since I was 7. One of my big regrets is that I'm a first gen American, not a second. Like Pista, I also am more of a Bruce Arena USA national football team booster than a Hungarian soccer fanatic though I want them to do good, so we use Bentex American sporting terms and often draw comparisons to US football when talking soccer.

I felt inspired to write the golden team wikepedia article because I knew no Hungarian regardless how many English courses they've taken could have put together as so fine an article and he or she would probably botch the high English needed to convey a sense of style and sophistication that's for any encyclopedic article to be taken seriously, and the Golden Team was a very serious soccer team; my honest belief is that they were the best football squad of all time having done online research on them and having bought a book about Puskas.

But like Pista, I also would like American NT football to go all the way in WC 2006 and outpoint any and all European, Asian or South American teams that in the USA's way in world cup competition and grab the gold. Sooner or later America will win a World Cup that's guarranteed and head coach Bruce Arena looks like a man who can deliver the goods. Under Arena's watch, the USA has already scored the highest ELO rating all time (1869) just last year and America is ranked # 13 in the world and that's not bad. :lala:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts