Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching events like the Olympics, English, Scottish, and Welsh are always participating as the Great Britain team. So why don't they do that also in football?

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
its obvious

because each part of the UK feels it has its own football culture

and a Great Britain side would have a ridiculously high proportion of English players

the other 3 areas simply wouldn't be represented

Can you actually think of any Scottish / Northern Irish / Welsh players that would actually get into the England squad?

track and field/ winter events are obviously not as much to the forefront of a nations sporting culture as football is, within the context of the United Kingdom - I don't think those sports have the same universal grass roots status that football has, whereby the sport permeates all levels of society regardless of class, location etc etc

Also, without really wanting to bring politics into this, there are many Scots and Northern Irish who from a cultural/ political standpoint would never want to represent 'Great Britain'

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that Giggs and that other dude in United are worthy of a call. I am sure there are/have been others.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Would be interesting to see a GB team...

I remember a while ago that Rangers and Celtic tried to enter in the EPL saying their league is not competitive enough, I wonder how they would have felt about there being a Great Britain national team?

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Different football culture isn't exactly a bad thing...it's good to have different options but yeah I really don't think the football culture of these countries are different, I feel they're very similar style; ofcourse England are of higher quality.

Anyways, Spain could be an example of different football cultures... you have Barcelona's La Masia type of footballers combined with other schools of football in Spain.

Just imagine England having Giggs and Beckham on the wings for England.. they could've have literally played 3/4th of Manchester United's treble winning midfield of Giggs, Beckham and Scholes.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Fletcher would be in the starting 11 and Bellamy and maybe Bale would get in the squad. Other than that it'd be English players.

And yeah, we don't do it because when it comes to football we hate each other.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
I would rather never win a world cup than have some Scottish **** score the winner, and I'm part Scottish.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome back Rob.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A question: Are England, Scotland and wales considered independent states by international law?

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
A question: Are England, Scotland and wales considered independent states by international law?

Depends, normally no because of a cental government.

They don't put us together in football or rugby union because it'd cause civil war.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends, normally no because of a cental government.
Then shouldn't be like the case of the former Soviet Union, a team representing all, full of Ukrainians :D or former Yugoslavia?

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
:howler::thumbsup:

·
Greta joke sharer
23,631 Posts
We need an injured smilie...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
you never no george mc cartney may sneak in at left back.

Personally i wouldn't like it, these players wouldnt represent me at all. There are alot of english people that don't even know Northern Ireland is part of UK.

Also i would have to fly to watch a game. As a block booker for 5 years now i wouldnt like that at all

1 - 20 of 102 Posts