Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, it's been a long year so far. As PortugueseSoccer.com points out ...."Portugal is like the stock market...it has been crashing since the WC failure, Intertoto knockouts, Pinto suspension, Campomaiorense bankruptcy, and current Jardel problem."

We need a boost of confidence, especially after Boavista went down. Today I will be a SPorting fan, not because I like lizards mind you, but because our game needs for them to step up and deliver a confidence boost of major proportions.

FORCA SPORTING!

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
RedEagle said:
Fellas, it's been a long year so far. As PortugueseSoccer.com points out ...."Portugal is like the stock market...it has been crashing since the WC failure, Intertoto knockouts, Pinto suspension, Campomaiorense bankruptcy, and current Jardel problem."

We need a boost of confidence, especially after Boavista went down. Today I will be a SPorting fan, not because I like lizards mind you, but because our game needs for them to step up and deliver a confidence boost of major proportions.

FORCA SPORTING!
I'm in the boat as well RedE!

Forca Sporting :fero: !

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Toni Montana said:
Well without Jardel and JVP as well as losing Andre Cruz and his free kicks and Babb!

It won't be easy but SCP needs to take it to them!
For the sake of Portuguese Futebol you guys have to do it....

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I like Sporting simply because they develop the best players currently out of, imho, the rest of the world... but I think it is important for Sporting to do well in the Champions League for us to get a little back on our feet.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Looks like we yet have hope in the Champions Leauge:)

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Well either way we still have hope with a tie. Its over as a tie now right? If Sporting can hold back Inter Milan then they can go a long way. They really know how to push their younger players.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thanks for looking out, Red. As I say every year, you don't have to throw on the kit and scarf of your hated rival, but you should still support them in European Cup play. When a Portuguese team wins in European competition, be it Sporting, Benfica, Boavista, or Porto, it benefits all teams:

* It's means more money and prestige for Portuguese Clubs
* It's means better seedings in the future so you don't have to face the likes of Inter in the qualifying rounds. ;)
* Most importantly, it means a better UEFA Coefficient, which translates into more teams playing in the CL and UEFA Cup.

Now, I would now ask all of you to get behind tiny, cinderella Leixoes tomorrow in their UEFA Cup match! They are playing a team from Macedonia in Matosinhos. It may not seem like a tough game, but when you play in Division 2B, it could be rough.

Leixoes has a nice little team and hopefully can advance to the next round.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Flotown said:
Forca Leixoes :fero: :fero:
I bet these guys will do us proud cause they probably havent been corrupted by money yet :proud:

FORCA LEIXOES :devil: we wish bad luck towrds there opponents !!!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Against any other team in Europe, I'd have been rooting for Sporting yesterday; but not against the Nerazzurri ;).

That being said, Sporting was unlucky NOT to win last night. You clearly represented Portugal well!

*Thanks Couto - you were right; that was clearly a typo :) *

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Razor said:
, Sporting was unlucky to win last night. You clearly represented Portugal well!
I'll correct Razor for him

It was UNLUCKY NOT TO WIN !!!

Well done to Sporting , but me thinks they are still pushing sh!t uphill !!!!!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
If there had been better finishing on SCP's side, then Sporting easily could have scored a couple of goals. Instead of creating a really decent chance, however, the players seemed content to take long shots from outside the box. They had a few nice combos, but the forwards need to do more of that interplay. I think the addition of Kutuzov gave Nicu somebody to play with and Barbosa another target. ALthough the lone striker set allowed Sporting to pretty much control the ball, it didn't make for many chances.

I'm interested to see how this team does on the road, when Inter will be pushing the ball up with more frequency and guys like Recoba will most likely play all game.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
COUTO 5 said:
So How do you think Sportings fortunes will be in the 2nd leg ???

I am praying for a miracle !!!
They just need confidence. And no Pinto getting reds!!!:D

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sporting played better than I expected. They played with heart and determination. Contreras is a keeper. After he left the game, Sporting got over run by Recoba and Vieiri (who missed two sitters). Also kudos to the old man Barbosa. Excellent game, I think he averages one or two excellent games per season. He might have shot his load with this one. ;)

Sporting has no bite upfront, although the ref did hurt them by not calling the penalty on Niculae.

Rui Bento had a great game as the DM.

HEre's to a Quaresma miracle in San Siro. :)

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:

They just need confidence. And no Pinto getting reds!!!:D
Pinto isn't playing, he's suspended until October....

As for Sporting, I really thought they played well. Tonito had a great shot at the end of the first half which barely missed...What a goal if he hit just a little to the left....

Time to turn it up at the San Siro....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts