Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when poeple are talking about best playmakers in the world, they never think of valeron, but totti etc.
best wingers, no joaquin, but giggs etc.
best forwards, no raul, but vieri and shevchenko etc.
best future stars, no torres, but c.ronaldo and rooney etc.
best goalkeepers, no casillas, but buffon and howard etc.
and many many other cases that i can't mention all here.

they are not among the best?
becoz spaniard have no great achievement in the national team?
no success in world cup? in euro?
spanish football has less influence in euro?
la liga is not the highest quality league in euro? but spanish teams haven't just proved that in the champion league?

i have many doubt now.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
ÉÃMadridistaÉÃ said:
when poeple are talking about best playmakers in the world, they never think of valeron, but totti etc.
best wingers, no joaquin, but giggs etc.
best forwards, no raul, but vieri and shevchenko etc.
best future stars, no torres, but c.ronaldo and rooney etc.
best goalkeepers, no casillas, but buffon and howard etc.
Totti is a better player than Valeron.
Giggs is more popular, Joaquin is still young.
You are wrong, everybody talks about Raul.
Torres is very popular also (maybe where you live people watch more EPL).
Howard over Casillas? Err no... Casillas is much more popular.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't agree, they're not underrated.

Valeron is pure class, in his best days he's unstoppable, one of the best in the world. Totti is different than him, compare them is a nonsense.

I think Giggs is slightly better than Joaquin, but anyways I know a lot of people who think he's one of the best in his position.

What end3r7 said about Raul.

Rooney? Please. Outside the UK Torres is more popular and best considered.

Casillas is considered one of the best keepers in the world.

·
Registered
69,663 Posts
Puyol is really a bit underrated. But the major part of the Spanish players are not underrated.

Giggs better than Joaquin? Of course...but Joaquin is 22 years old.

And Valeron and Totti are differents. Valeron is underrated as well.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
In some cases, Spanish players can be underated and some can meet standards. I think Valeron springs first to mind as not necessarly being overated on skill, but more where he plays. I think what is most fascinating is that he can compare to Totti, Aimar, Zidane ect but still have a lower salary, in a lesser known city with lesser known players. Even though Depor might have been the most consistent teams in the past 5 years, they will never be Barcelona, Madrid or Milan so in that respect he is underated and what is even more astonishing is that there aren't crazy rumors about a huge club picking him up.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I mean not only the players even the teams ...

I swear in Germany no one of these so called "football fans" know player like Contra, Xabi Alonso, Reyes, Torres, Ibagaza, Duscher, Etoo, etc etc

They only know Real Madrid, Depor and Valencia (but this both teams only a little bit) because they are playing CL.

And CL is the only thing in German Television you can see, if you like to see Spanish teams.

We didn't even get highlights ...

I mean for me it is the hell !!! :Yuck:

I can not see my Atléti, can not see the other teams and have to discuss with these morons in German boards about Torres or Atlético BECAUSE they don't know him or the club.

My only hope is, that Atlético will reach the CL so they get more popular over here !!!

Husky

PS: Onother problem is, that spanish players only play great in Spain !!!

I mean everyone who went to Seria A for example suxxs completly ...

Moreno, Farinos, Mendietta, José Mari, etc etc etc etc etc

But La Liga is the best league in Europe and they have the best players over there ... Even 5 clubs in Italy can be compared to it and 3 in England ... and 0 from Germany!!!

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
|-Husky-| said:
I swear in Germany no one of these so called "football fans" know player like Contra, Xabi Alonso, Reyes, Torres, Ibagaza, Duscher, Etoo, etc etc
This works both ways. In Spain people would know only Ballack and Kahn, but ask anyone to name a player from Dortmund and you will get blank stares.

And from your list, what posses you to add Duscher to a list of highly talented La Liga players?

·
Registered
966 Posts
|-Husky-| said:
PS: Onother problem is, that spanish players only play great in Spain !!!

I mean everyone who went to Seria A for example suxxs completly ...

Moreno, Farinos, Mendietta, José Mari, etc etc etc etc etc

Well, tell me how many of these players are in the National Team? Javi Moreno, Farinós, José Mari... aren't in the group of best Spanish players. Moreno only had one good season with Alavés, he was crap in Atlético too. If Raúl, Puyol or Tristán played in other countries they would have success.

It's an unfair cliché. Players like Mendieta, Arteta or Morientes are doing well outside La Liga.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I think Spanish football has had a good moment in club competitions. I think our football is really well considered in terms of competitivity and spectacle.

Everyone talks about Ronaldo and his 15 goals, but Raúl has scored already 9 (and everyone says that his season is being poor). It seems that Aimar is the only thing in Valencia... but the team works the same without him. Baraja-Albelda can be as good (or even better) than Makelele-Vieira. Perhaps Totti is over Valerón, but the Depor player seems to be ignored by half Europe when he's totally amazing (no one recall his exhibition in the Olympaistadion last season). Torres is the best young talent in Europe by far. If not show me the stats of any player U-20 and compare them with Torres. Casillas can be as good as Buffon.

But we have a problem with our NT. For Italians, Englsih or German people to play in the NT makes them better, they feel protected by the shirt. While Spanish players see the NT as something secondary. It's normal when, for the fans, clubs come first. Who cares about the NT during the season? A league of 20 teams doesn't help. La Liga ends later than Serie A or EPL normally. The NT is a second level team and our players won't be recognized as big players until we don't pass at least the 1/4 finals.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Who is casillas
Who is joaquin
Who is Torres
Who is veron
Who is Raul

What is Spain:confused: Are they good at all?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Hmmmm Veron? Wrong topic :)

The thing is for me that I don't understand sometimes, is when people do underestimate players and their ability's, they do it to countries like Spain but then countries likes Holland, who don't have an international record that much greater than Spain, get recognition better than Brazil ect. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea Spain isn't as commerical as a team, but when it coems down to it we are overlooked.:rolleyes:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Jonny Knoxville said:
Who is casillas
Who is joaquin
Who is Torres
Who is veron
Who is Raul

What is Spain:confused: Are they good at all?? :confused:
Well, one easy way to find out is that they play the Portuguese NT in a meaningful game. Not too long left for the game;)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I kind of agree with Real on this.
Raul is highly regarded TODAY, but it took years for him to be taken into consideration, while other players from other countries are considered the best thing since Coca-Cola from day one!

Maybe it is because there hasn´t been an all time best Spaniard. Youngsters from other countries are looked up to be the new Pelé, Maradona, Cruyff... the desire for the people and the media to find a new superstar tends to overrate them before they´ve even proved themselves.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Torres underrated ?.....ive only seen him 2 times but everything i read and hear from people is hes one of the most promising players in the world....

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
nitsujamor said:
Torres underrated ?.....ive only seen him 2 times but everything i read and hear from people is hes one of the most promising players in the world....
He's the best player U-20 by far, I am tired to hear about Van der Vaart, Tevez, Rooney,... if you see Torres, you see that he's the best of his generation. Just look at his stats and tell me if you find something better. He's brilliant.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Spaniards are underrated because the Spanish NT won it's last trophey in '64.
Ever since they never really got far in any competition.
The Dutch have.
But IMO it's no reason to make a big deal about them as their flag team Barcelona is far from dominating the Spanish league at the moment.
They still might win the Euro though, an easier competition than La Liga after all...

Now I'd say that along with Italy the Spanish NT currently has the best squad in Europe (just look at the strikers, midfielders, goalkeeper and even some not bad defenders).

Yet throughout the world people say that France, England, Holland, dunno what are better teams than Spain.

But then again, who cares about the NT when they created the best football league in the world. They should be acknowledged just for that. Contemporary football would be almost worthless without that league.

So people should start giving more respect to Spain.

But it would be nice if Spain won the EC and shut everybody up at last.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Koeman4 said:
He's the best player U-20 by far, I am tired to hear about Van der Vaart, Tevez, Rooney,... if you see Torres, you see that he's the best of his generation. Just look at his stats and tell me if you find something better. He's brilliant.
Well, but that´s balanced by how overrated they are by Spanish media, so no problem. I´m tired to hear about "el niño" since he played his fist minutes in Segunda.:groan: Right now he isn´t the superstar they sell us, in the future? probably, but he still has to demonstrate many things.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts