Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just analysed the EURO 2000 squad and I keep getting sadder and sadder :) Look at this:

Midfielders:Guardiola, Engonga, Fran, Mendieta, Valerón, Gerard

OK. that's OK. :(

Forwards: Etxeberria, Munitis, Urzaiz, Alfonso, Raúl

Just greaT! :( My idea is - instead of picking dic*heads like:

Valeron and Gerard - just go with another striker AKA Morientes! OK I know Valeron has great talent and so on, but come on! The guy has sucked big time all this year and why should he suddenly regain his form? The same goes for Mr overrated Gerard Lopez Segu. What is he doing in the squad? Instead of him we could've easily had good ol' Morientes. It wouldn't leave the team with too many strikers since: Etxeberria, Raul and Munitis all can play a bit further back. At the moment there are only 2 real Strikers in urzaiz and Alfonso. The rest are support and Etxeberria almost a clear midfielder. Excuse me, but the question remains, what the hell was Camacho thinking?

D

·
0 Posts
I agree that Gerard is overrated but I could understand his inclusion because he fits in at Camacho's diamond-shaped midfield, the formation he has been using all year.

Two players in every position except the goalkeeper where there are three and support-striker where Raul has a monopoly.

GK
Canizares
Molina
Casillas

RB
Salgado
Velasco

CB1
Hierro
Abelardo

CB2
Paco
Helguera

LB
Sergi
Aranzabal

DM
Guardiola
Engonga

RW
Mendieta
Etxeberria

AM
Valeron
Gerard

LW
Munitis
Fran

SS
Raul

CF
Alfonso
Urzaiz

What am I trying to say? It's Urzaiz, not Gerard nor Valeron, who took Morientes' spot. Morientes V Urzaiz? There's no contest! How many goals has Urzaiz scored this season? I don't even know and that means not many. Camacho should take out Urzaiz and put in Fernando Morientes!

[This message has been edited by dwMB (edited 29-05-2000).]

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
dwMB is right labas, I don't know Urzaiz almost at all, what's his basic quality? Because I'm thinking maybe Camacho wants to use him for a task he thinks Urzaiz can do better than Mori. There must be an explanation, Camacho is not mad. What is it though?

D

·
0 Posts
Urzaiz's only talent is heading which make's it all the more illogical to pick him over Morientes. The wingers are not Beckham types anyway, they hardly ever cross the ball so what's the use of putting in Urzaiz? Really, really baffling.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, come on guys! Urzaiz is an awesome player to say the least! I am not mad at all that he is in the squad! It's a good choice from Camacho, because the guy really knows how to score. He has hada weaker season at Athletic, but so has the whole team! He was great though last year and since then been a regular. If I have to compare Mori and Ismael I would really have trouble choosing the better. The player we really can blame for Morentes' absence is not him, because he was an obvious choice, but Alfonso Perez. Sorry to dissapoint you guys, but if Camacha had any doubts at all, it was between Mori, Salva and Alfonso. Unfortunately he decided the latter is currently on best form. I can't really disagree with him, because A. has really been awesome lately in Betis, but if you ask me, Mori would've still been the better choice simply for his great comunication with Raul and we all know Raul si gonna be a starter. Anyway that's how I see it.

D

·
0 Posts
All I can say is that Mori is better player then all of the strikers in the team except Raul.Full stop.Spain was one of fav teams in Euro 2000 but now I really don't know.
HALA MADRID!!!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Urzaiz always does good for the national tean.Very good finisher and a fighter! In my opinion,Gerard was an EXTRA since Munitis and Mendieta can easily play that role.I would pick Morientes over Gerard and for this yerar DEFINITELY Salva over Alfonso.Sure Alfonso is good and one of my favorites but he has had a really bad year after being unjured for something like 5 months! Salva had a good year and would be ok.But dropping Morientes is just unacceptable!

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Anyway, if Camacho JUST picked Mori over Gerard, that means Mori will be a substitute. I can't bear that Mori is sitting on the bench either! :(

I used to think the great partnership with Raul will help him to get a place in National Team......no one can understand each other better with Raul than Mori does.........but how sad, it is meaningless now :(

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amoroso is right on this one. Like I said Urzaiz wasn't the reason for Mori's absence - it was Alfonos and Munitis also. They were rated higher by Camacho, wich is for me just like you totally ununderstandable, but that's life :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts