Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Robben ? dont make me lol

Muller ? Here's the thing, swap muller and messi's place then you would know who's the better player. Without his soft penalty vs Portugal, he wouldn't have 5 goals.

Kroos ? Again, swap messi with kroos, messi will do MUCH BETTER....

there you have it illiterate hate...

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
hardly a top 10 player. Average after the group stages...
Muller, Robben , James clearly better.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hardly a top 10 player. Average after the group stages...
Muller, Robben , James clearly better.
did you read what i wrote

put messi in muller's position he would done much better, without his soft penalty vs portugal, muller wouldn't have 5 goals....

C116.jpg

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
How can you even compare :lol: Forlan in 2010 was muuuuuuch better than Messi's perfromance. You can look at stats as much as you want.Messi can kiss his boots ;) Nobody from the this WC was better tham Forlan. Probably nobody in while...

·
Administrator
29,409 Posts
I will repeant, but Robben was so awful in the semifinal that Messi yesterday seemed to be energetic and active. Until 88 minutues of argentina game Robben wasnt even diving. So sorry, it would be ridiculous to give him the golden ball basically for his group stage.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Obvious troll.

But no, Messi was clearly not at full fitness in this tournament, and while he produced some good moments he was not the Messi of Barcelona. Frankly I think Lahm & Neuer had better tournaments, and if you have to give it to an attacking minded player then James Rodriguez would be a far better shout.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I will repeant, but Robben was so awful in the semifinal that Messi yesterday seemed to be energetic and active. Until 88 minutues of argentina game Robben wasnt even diving. So sorry, it would be ridiculous to give him the golden ball basically for his group stage.
I think Robben would have been much more dangerous against the high defensive back line of Germany. Unfortunately, we will never know.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
^think you are right..

·
Assistant Waterboy
1,036 Posts
i´d give it to robben or to mats hummels, who was impeccable.
robben´s performance in the semis was good too, except that mascherano´s was better.
had messi scored that chance yesterday, then who could deny him?
but that´s football.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have no problem with Messi getting the golden ball, he was 1 of a small group of players that were in the running. The reason it is OK with me is because when Messi had his quieter games none of the other men in the group did anything special either so it was always gonna be close for whoever won it.

I don't think Argentina would have made it out of the group stage without Messi`s performances to be honest, 4 goals in less than 3 full games in the group stage, 1 vital assist in knockout stage vs Switzerland seconds from penalties, scored in the shootout vs Holland in semi-final shoot-out.

If you judge Messi by everybody elses standards and not by Messi`s standards then he deserves it as much as anybody. He is the best player in the world even operating at only 70-80 % of his own ability in this tournament.

Ps. I bet on Germany to win the world cup AND Messi to be player of the tournament before it all began, must say though I wasn't confident on getting both bets up after the final whistle. I thought maybe Muller or James might have edged it :)

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
The thing is that, when Messi has quiet game..or bad game..its a story..
when others have similar game...no one speaks about them..

He set the standards very high..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Messi is deserved golden ball winner.l don't think there was any indivisaul preformance from any one player warrant the trophy this world cup...
however, Messi overall had good tournament,that saw his team reach the final match n barely wining :stuckup:

most germany players contirubted to germany's triumph n domination at the end.everyone had impact on their team progress n kept them competitive from group games to later stages of competition .while still playing the best team footbal n construt the best attacking unit in tournment .
most of them are fair pick here too ,their match performance avarged from good to strong n winner from one game to next klose,muller,nuer,gotez,boteng,ozil,khedra,scheinstieger,lahm, are all fair pick episodically

Robben should never be any where around this list .robben was part of dive after dive n cynical way of competing to win at all cost n every game.dive must win you only two things .a red card or yellow n elimination n defeat..:cecco:

lf football can be compared to another sports , this tournment was like a boxing match.that no one from two boxers able to knockout his opponent. only through points n boxing judges was to establish the winner

sure Messi was not brilliant every-time or decisive all time for Argentina.but his overall performance what kept Argentina wining throughtout n qualifying to next stage n reach their first world cup final since 1990.

few players have same record.exept james,neymar ,navas cost rica goalie had same impact with their teams respectively .but being injured or eliminated at quarter/semi- finals stopped their contribution n overall contest for this award..:hopeful:

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
I have no problem with Messi getting the golden ball, he was 1 of a small group of players that were in the running. The reason it is OK with me is because when Messi had his quieter games none of the other men in the group did anything special either so it was always gonna be close for whoever won it.

I don't think Argentina would have made it out of the group stage without Messi`s performances to be honest, 4 goals in less than 3 full games in the group stage, 1 vital assist in knockout stage vs Switzerland seconds from penalties, scored in the shootout vs Holland in semi-final shoot-out.

If you judge Messi by everybody elses standards and not by Messi`s standards then he deserves it as much as anybody. He is the best player in the world even operating at only 70-80 % of his own ability in this tournament.

Ps. I bet on Germany to win the world cup AND Messi to be player of the tournament before it all began, must say though I wasn't confident on getting both bets up after the final whistle. I thought maybe Muller or James might have edged it :)
You couldn't be more wrong. Messi is at 100% , but he simply can't perform outside of Barca. Even when Barca feel , he feel to.

Messi is not capable of carrying anything. Sure he can carry Argentina above modest teams like the Swiss,Iran etc. But that's his best.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You couldn't be more wrong. Messi is at 100% , but he simply can't perform outside of Barca. Even when Barca feel , he feel to.

Messi is not capable of carrying anything. Sure he can carry Argentina above modest teams like the Swiss,Iran etc. But that's his best.
Argentina made their first final since the days of Maradona and Messi was a big part of that. To say Messi cant perform outside of Barca shows incredible ignorance and bias in my opinion.

Messi obviously hasn't found his true form since being injured last season - which enabled Ronaldo to inherit the best player in the world title until Messi gets back to his best - but even at 80 % of his usual standard he is still amongst the best in the world.

If you judge players at their best and on overall ability then Messi is a top 4 all time player, not superior but not inferior to Pele, Cruyff and Maradona.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts