But whenever face Italy.

They lose like little girls.

1970 semi
82 final
2006 semi

·
Registered
17,599 Posts
Italy was able to defend them (predictable machine) and had more skill/flair in midfield.

But when Germany is superior to opponent, they will roll over them.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
That was in 2012.

1962 WC 0-0
1978 WC 0-0
1988 EURO 1-1
1996 EURO 0-0
2016 EURO 1-1 (Germany won after pen shootout)

All-time seriesItaly: 15
Draw: 12
Germany: 8

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Germany’s biggest strength traditionally has been their organisation but I have always had the feeling that Italy are tactically and technically superior when they have met.

·
Registered
33,728 Posts
That was in 2012.

1962 WC 0-0
1978 WC 0-0
1988 EURO 1-1
1996 EURO 0-0
2016 EURO 1-1 (Germany won after pen shootout)

In 1996, it felt like a knockout in the last group game by Germany. I'd say the teams were roughly evenly matched that year. Italy needed to win and played the better game but Köpke saved a pk and Italy seemed increasingly desperate

·
Registered
46,839 Posts
In 1996, it felt like a knockout in the last group game by Germany. I'd say the teams were roughly evenly matched that year. Italy needed to win and played the better game but Köpke saved a pk and Italy seemed increasingly desperate
I missed that game because I was in the USA. I had an old pc with a very poor internet connection, no infos, I had forgotten the schedule and when I found a place in which I could watch football I discovered that the game had already been played (!!). The fact that I'm lazy didn't help either. Probably had I cared more for the game I could overcome difficulties. I was in a pretty big city, not in the desert!
I remember I watched USA - Mexico in TV (at home) instead, during my stay in the USA, b ut oddly I could not watch Italy - Germany at home. Again, do not ask me a reason of it, maybe I simply failed because I was dumb!

·
oic
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I missed that game because I was in the USA. I had an old pc with a very poor internet connection, no infos, I had forgotten the schedule and when I found a place in which I could watch football I discovered that the game had already been played (!!). The fact that I'm lazy didn't help either. Probably had I cared more for the game I could overcome difficulties. I was in a pretty big city, not in the desert!
I remember I watched USA - Mexico in TV (at home) instead, during my stay in the USA, b ut oddly I could not watch Italy - Germany at home. Again, do not ask me a reason of it, maybe I simply failed because I was dumb!
Maybe you were chasing fresh American p#$$# and dont remember

·
Registered
46,839 Posts
Maybe you were chasing fresh American p#$$# and dont remember
Nah! Right the contrary, I spent 3 weeks (?, in June 1996, yes, from the beginning to the end of the euro) in the USA with the one purpose to relax. 1995 had been a very tough year. I had had the crazy idea to keep 2 gfs at the same time. I was cheating as one ignored the other existed. It was a great time but at a certain point after a football game I fainted in the shower. From that moment and for one year I could hardly stay on my feet. The first thought was that I had caught some kind of virus from one of the two, but exams told me I was clean. Anyway, I never really understood what it was but I needed one year to recover almost completely (I say almost because I was never the same again). In the meanwhile both gfs had dumped me and I think they still ignore the fact that I had two.

·
Registered
33,728 Posts

Zola had perhaps his only good run for Italy at the time, which is probably the reason I was somewhat imersed in the affair. It was also a chance for the team to redeem itself after an embarrassing defeat to the newcomers from the Czech Republic. My father subtly gloated because he never liked the Azzurri, so that helped rile me up as well..

And the Danish NT at the tournament was crappy. Ricard Møller had always been sketchy, let's be honest. The critics (including Michael Laudrup) had a point and for '96 he relied on the '92 old guard, who weren't that great to begin with

1 - 20 of 22 Posts