Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and why not the one from your own country? Or Premier League, or la Liga... what is so special about italian football. Please forget for a second that you support Lazio as a club... just tell the story why you fancy italian football :)

Personally - The mastermind. Everything around. The emotions. The technique of the players, the tactics and the passion.

Nothing can be compared to calcio... well, one thing - but XT is not the proper site to talk about that :drool: :mute: :lala: :D

In other words - Calcio is the ultimate kick...

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
Honestly I have to say that I prefer to watch the Premier League above Serie A.
Much more attractive soccer imo. (come on and hit me with all you got ;))
Strangely enough I don't have a general team that I root for in England, when compared to Italy and Spain.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like the fact that it is very tactiful (if that is such a word) but this can cause it to become boring (thankfully this is not the case with Lazio). And I also feel that there are too many polictics involved which takes away from the game.

BUT in my own opinion the English League is better than the Italian, but I prefer the Italian League over the Spanish League.

This is my own opinion and you don't have to agree with me.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Interesting question.:)

I have often wondered what Italian football brings to the people.
I never got to support an Italian team, but in general the whole happening brings a unique feeling, it's something else.

The club gives an indentity to a city, the fans give an identity to a club. The footballstars give indentity to everything and everyone.
Football is not a way of life in Italy, it's more. It's institute like family or religion. It's like this everywhere I saw a game.

On the game itself I have had many sentiments. I have hated Italian football, I have adored it, it has bored me, it has excited me. Now I just have deep respect for it's tradition. I think I just finally truely understood were it's all about.:)

That's probably also why I usually have deepest respect and affection for the team who caries out this tradition of result-minded football the best.

ADRIAAN
_______

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
ADRIAAN!!! :eek: :star: :happy: :dazed:

mothafuck, where u been hiding?

adriaan said:
On the game itself I have had many sentiments. I have hated Italian football, I have adored it, it has bored me, it has excited me. Now I just have deep respect for it's tradition. I think I just finally truely understood were it's all about.:)
nice put man

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ah Michel you Dutch bastard! It has been a while! Well I fixed my PC a while ago and Sita got my XT -profile back :)

So I think I'll be posting here from time to time. It feels great to be back at XT, I think I quit posting somewhere around the WC :dazed:

ADRIAAN
_______

·
Registered
93 Posts
strange things can happend when u put a little boy infront of a tv with channel tv3 running on it.. long time ago but i still renember it and i guess it was Roberto Baggio in WC'90 and Serie A who made me so fascinated by it.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
About 1996-97 I was a big fan of EPL and didn't care about Seria A a lot just seeing Lazio's results and highlights sometimes. Few years later the TV coverage of the calcio here became better and I was becoming more and more a fan of tactics, defence and the likes. Now watching the crappy defences in EPL and the cheap goals scored there bores me. Watching a great defence beaten with an even better attacking combination is far more interesting. Plus there are more teams fighting for the title. And in Seria A there are always scandals, controvercy - it's never boring.;)
As to why not a team from my own country - here most matches are fixed, it's kind of a public secret.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I don't really have a reason. I enjoy Serie A and the Premier League equally and I wish I could see more of La Liga. Simple really, just good football.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Of all the major competitions in Europe, the Serie A is the most unpredictable. You never know what's going to happen during a season, and I'm not just talking about the competition itself but just as much about the things around it. But when speaking of the competition: while in most other leagues you have not more that two or three teams that are contenders for the title, in the Serie A it's six of them. And it's usually not untill the very last matchday that the title winner is known, unlike in other leagues. No other European competition gives the drama, the passion, the excitement and ultimately the joy, as the Serie A does.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would say the players. A player like Sheringham would never play in Serie A and thank god for that. It is the things we don't know that makes the Italian league interesting. In EPL I know a lot of the clubs at all times. It is exposed 10 times more in media than Serie A. If I want to know something about a club like Reggina I really have to dig deep, and that is a place I could find unknown talents. In M'boro or Everton things are not very likely that you will find an unknown talent that noone knows of. Italian teams don't seem that commercial either. They keep a little bit more mysterious and exciting to me that way.

As for the players again a team like Chelsea has made to become interesting for me. Bringing in Mutu, Veron and Crespo has helped making them more exciting. A player like Forlan helps MaU to avoid to be number one on my boring list. Having said that. He is not MaU's greatest player. He is just interesting.

The Spanish league is more interesting than the English, but the Italian is the best.

·
Registered
474 Posts
y Serie A??

Because it's a full package..everything is inside.

Because only with serie a football is not just a game..it's life!!

Political, economical, social...yeah true like aadrian said i think football is like a religion or maybe is a religion..

the ppl..emotions..the competitions..everyone is fighting for something..actually everyone has to..

in epl last year there was only arsenal and man united..
la liga ..real madrid and someteam call sociedad ..and i knew real will comeback and take the title as usual..
serie a oh there were 4 teams fighting untill juve got too many points to catch...

very tactical... i like tactics...i like strong defenses and i like stronger attacks that tries and tries and tries untill they knock down deffences
epl and la liga silly goals most of the times...but in serie a everygoal needs hard work ...

well yesterday i was watching arsenal and southhampton..i don't wanna comment ..epl have a lot of boring games and this one the 1st half was soo boring...at least in serie a u can figure out good tactics...

it's always hard for any player and coach too to adapt with serie a
because it needs hard workers and good skills..and i've never understood why they always rate serie a lower

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
a very good post adriaan! i agree with most points besides the" it has bored me"...

there has never been a question for me like that, as i followed italian football from my early days as a kid, although i finally got hooked to my team in 1990 aswell.

i love the passion of the tifosi, the conspiracy theories, the rivalary...the evening games the league has decided on within the last years.

the hanging out with my friends and watch the games, everything that is involved with it.
the mythical colour of gazzetta dello sport! the fact that as soon as you(we) cross the border to italy you have it 24-7.
when you have an espresso at the "autogrill" and wear just a scarf or a shirt of your team you get drawn into conversations with other tifosi as a "moth into the lightbulb".

i love to see juve(and a few other teams ;) ) losing...but as i mentioned before nowadays a big part for me is the hanging out with my friends, i probably only got in contact with because we share the love for "la magica".
although i have some "mates" who support juve etc...but strangely they can never be as close friends as my romanisti brothers.
how could they? when they believe in totally different things i do.

forza italia(not in a political way though)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Unforgiven said:
strange things can happend when u put a little boy infront of a tv with channel tv3 running on it.. long time ago but i still renember it and i guess it was Roberto Baggio in WC'90 and Serie A who made me so fascinated by it.
Something obviously went terribly wrong. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Honestly it was the only thing availble when i decided to watch football.:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Because it's the most corrupt, the most hypocritical, and therefore leads to endless discussions and exciting theories :cool: :tongue: ;) It rocks you from hate to love and delisciously back again :stuckup:

The football in itself isn't spectacular but I can admire the discipline and tactics of it aswell. The fans are simply the best; the most passionate and devoted in Europe.

To give a short and honest anwser: simply because Lazio is in it. It's a cliché but it's the main reason.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For me it's the passion of the Italian football that is so attractive. The history, the fans, the drama - everything's so special. Serie A is not a pleasure to watch by the means of nice football, but it is the most interesting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts