Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean the Milan of last season doesn´t need one great signing but like 3 or something: Central defender, a playmaker that will last all season and someone to help Sheva since Bierhoff isn´t really that good anymore ( he was great even if I´ve never liked him ).

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
AC Milan should have bought Fiore, we have a couple of brilliant playmakers and we don't need another one. Fiore coming to Lazio is a waste of his excellent skill and Lazio's money, Milan should have bagged him straight away.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Guys, even I don't have an answer as to what our leaders are waiting for in making a signing that will count. Frankly, if you've been following their talk (more like BS) my theory is that it's doing nothing but scaring off any players we MAY have had an interest in. The list of players we voiced an interest in who have gone elsewhere is simply depressing to read thru. The worst part is, we were promised by these very leaders that yes, our problems would be taken care of.

Anyway, I'm all set to predict the standings....

G

·
0 Posts
Oh Debs, losing faith already?! I'm shocked. :eek:

Who cares about Rivaldo, Beckham, Figo? We are a strong team AS IS. Our defense has been fortified with the additions of Roque Jr, Coco, Colocinni, and West. Our forwards and attackers are in good shape. Adding Commandini to the ranks only makes the top scoring team in Serie A better. Granted, our midfield won't set the world on fire, but it is solid. Ambrosini and Gattuso are only gonna get better and if Albertini maintains his form from Euro 2000, central midfield will get much better than solid. Plus look at the second stringers in Giunti and de Ascentis, good hard workers. Do you remember what these two guys did vs Roma at the San Siro? My only concern are the wing backs. Serginho, Guly, Helveg...all inconsistent. We need consistent high balls from these guys from day 1 because they are key to our attacking system. Otherwise, Debs, it's all good. Our young players have one more year of experience, they're hungry, and most importantly settled into their environment where they can finally get to work on their games. Who knows if Milan will win its 17th scudetto. But I know AC Milan will be a team to be reckoned with. Mark my words.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Thats true, Milan is a strong team as it is. The only position necessary to replace will be Boban's after next season. Fiore would have been good there but we have him for the season after next, which is a waste I think because we don't need him and he seems as if he would be suited at Milan.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Recently, Jose Mari started several friendly matches at Boban's place, and Shevchenko seems pleased. We also might get Riquelme, so I don't believe there is much to worry for now. The only problem will be that the players are too young to be counted alone to bring victories, but with the ages this problem will be solved.
And as for the attackers Saudati is lately in an excelent form. Comandini is a bit tired (according to Zac's words). Jose Mari can start on the wing as well as Graffiedi and Rabito. And not to forget Aliyu. They might not be like Crespo and Piojo, but they are not that bad either. And are still quite young.
And as goose said, there are Coloccini, Junior, and West to play at the central zone of our deffense.
And, goose, I like this part very much:
"Who cares about Rivaldo, Beckham, Figo? We are a strong team AS IS."
I'm with you on that.

·
International
8,545 Posts
I think Galliani wants to build a winner, rather than buy one. We've done great the last two seasons(obviously with winning the scudetto the year before last) so why spoil a good thing.

I've lost faith a few times, because I think our team is not that strong. But even if they aren't as strong as other teams if you compare position for position, we still manage to win games and finished 3rd last season. That was better than Inter who had a better team on paper. I think Galliani wants to introduce only one star because he doesn't want to disrupt the harmony we have in the squad.

I was getting anxious earlier, but I've come to the realization that Galliani knows what he's doing, and he knows how to build a winner. He's done it before and he can do it again, sorry not "can" but WILL do it.

If you look at Lazio, how stupid is it to go and buy a bunch of high priced players and sell players that were well liked, and that really like to play at Lazio? If something's not broken, you don't fix it. It think this'll hurt Lazio next season.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I think it will strengthen Lazio actually.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, if you look at it carefully, the players who left had complained about something or other during the season, whether it be the rotation system or being substituted (or having a small shirt :)), so I think part of the reason of the transfers may have been to send a message out that if you have a problem with the system, some kind of problem with playing at Lazio, there's the door, you can show yourself out if you want to. I'll miss all of them, but in football players come and go. That's the reality of things. I think the large number of transfers will certainly have an effect on the team. Whether it'll be a positive or negative one is yet to be seen, but I think things will go well.

About Milan...I think Berlusconi is putting on a big show for all of you. I could be wrong, but I don't think he has any real desire to bring in a big star. Something like, "Hey, if a star comes, great, but if not, eh, whatever." I think I remember he said he wasn't going to make any big name signings, and it was only after demonstrations that he started talking about "a big name coming to Milan" or whatever. Personally I think you guys do need a couple new players, like other people have been saying, a new playmaker (unless Jose Mari is really ready) and some outside defenders. Like goose said, they're not too reliable.

I don't mean to bash your team (I really do respect AC Milan), but I think the Scudetto is out of reach unless Berlusconi stops talking and starts acting. A winning tradition can't, by itself, win games.

H

·
0 Posts
HEY HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DON"T LooSE YOUR FAITH IN AC MILAN WE ARE STILL A GREAT TEAM EVEN IF WE DON"T SIGN FIGO, RIVALDO OR BECKHAM!!!!!!!!
FROZA MILAN FOREVER

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Goose, my man, perhaps I have not yet lost faith in the team, but rather in those who are leading our team--Galliani and Berlusconi. Do you recall last season and how we'd see Galliani sitting in the stands looking quite upset? and how he said the team had problems and those problems would be corrected? So what is this revelation that the very squad that struggled to hold onto a 3rd place spot just last season is good enough as it now stands to succeed in CL, the league and Coppa Italia? With only a few changes we are looking the exact same squad that fell out of CL first round, lost miserably in Coppa and....as I said struggled to hold 3rd. and to amke matters worse, we'll be in CL play without Abbiati....and people keep telling me Dida will also be at the Olympics. (which made that foolish buy even more foolish) That means we face a high level of competition with...Rossi, who to me equals an automatic 2 goals to the competition.

Building a team is great...but as I see it you also need a few key players to work with those young players and teach them a few things. Our midfield is shaky, even tho I'd never trade Gatusso and Ambro for anyone--but they are young and somewhat flighty. The kids now in defense....I'm looking for yet another year where Maldini has to cover all 3 back positions b/c those wonderful youth don't quite know what to do when faced with a charging Batistuta or Totti or Gomes or Zidane or....I don't even want to go on with the names. And our strikers....those were the men getting a big share of criticism last season...so I want to see everyone here cheering for Bierhoff ok??

Just remember what else building a team could mean: another poor season. Of course to Milan fans that means NOT winning the scudetto, CL and Coppa. I could rock your worlds telling you waht I'm already forseeing for the next season, but I won't. I'll just go thru my mantra of who we've lost out on and let you speculate as to why:
Figo, Rui Costa, Farinos, Saviola, Aimar, Gerard, Riquilme, Fiore....hey, these guys follow the talk from teams like we fans do, so they're hearing the same "we will, we won't" routine as we are...

Sorry to sound so negative--I know that is not at all my usual when it comes to my team, but I remember what we went thru last season, I remember what was said, and I remember the fans when the team kept losing out on objectives. Unless the squad suddenly captures that team spirit that won the scudetto 2 years ago, I fell we're in for a stormy season. But do not criticize the team when they lose....criticize those who decided not to correct the team's obvious problems.

PS--re-reading comments from Kazema after I posted brought something else to mind....I have fans from other teams on my ICQ and they're all asking me things like "what is Milan doing??" and pulling these smug attitudes b/c at least their teams have made efforts to strengthen themselves. We ARE a good squad...we are NOT a strong squad. That's all I have to say, so I'm praying I'll be proven very wrong by June 17, 2001.

[Edited by Debs on 20-07-2000 at 15:39]

·
Registered
172 Posts
MILAN WILL NEED 5 YEARS TO BE ON THE TOP.
BERLUSCONI ****ED THE WHOLE SEASON EVEN BEFORE IT STARTED. MAYOR NAMES SIGNED ALLREADY AND SILVIO IS TALKING ABOUT CHEAP BUYINGS,SAVINGS ETC...GUYS...
NOONE WANT'S MILAN ANYMORE...FOR SHOPPING YES..BUT NOT FOR ZACCHERONI AND SILVIO.
IN TODAY'S MILAN THERE IS ONLY SHEVA WHO IS WORTH CLASS.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sorry if I sounded smug, I didn't mean to be. I was just giving my opinion on what I thought about Milan, which is that you have great players, but have a couple missing links that should be taken care of. And that my feeling is that they probably won't be taken care of.

G

·
0 Posts
Listen to the players, Debs. Look at the atmosphere at Milanello. They are confident, hungry, and most importantly, having fun for once. Like I said before, the team has a full season of good and bad experiences behind them. Don't you think they've learned from them and are working to improve from those experiences? The biggest thing going for us is we have NO turnover from last season. Everyone is settled into the tactical system, everyone knows their role, etc. Keeping players together only means an improvement and more confidence in overall play. Look at the injuries we had last season, yet we still finished 3rd. What happens if we're fortunate enough to stay healthy like in '98/'99? We could be in it to the bitter end! The Olympics will for sure be a crucial time for us, but we have solid reserves to fill in nicely because they're already familiar with Zac's system. Sure, I know for a fact Lazio will be strong as hell with Lopez, Veron, and Crespo up top, but like we always say Debs, it's a long, long, looooonnnnngggggg season. Anything can happen. Let the chips fall where they may. So just grab yourself a cold tasty beverage, get comfortable, and enjoy the ride. And dear Debs, have faith in Galliani. The man has integrity and is laying his job on the line for the players he has the utmost confidence in. I love it when someone sticks to their guns when there is intense pressure swirling around him. Look, I'd be delighted if we could get Rivaldo (who wouldn't?) but in times where we see $50 million signings for those who don't deserve it (sorry Biancoceleste, Crespo is not worth it), you have to give Milan management SOME credit for being careful in the transfer market. And with this "we need a few key players to teach the young ones a few things", how about these players, Debs: Maldini. Costacurta. Albertini. Rossi. Boban. Bierhoff. Leonardo. The old guard. They've seen the highest of the high, the lowest of the low, and everything in between in club and international football. Don't you have think they have a few inspirational war stories for the young hotshots? :)

Another point: with all these people crying rivers over not getting this big name or that big name, what do you think the guys are feeling right now? Other than Billy, who has publicly called for a big signing, I'm thinking the guys are slightly miffed always hearing that the team isn't as good compared to the others because we haven't bagged a "world class" player. Shoot, if I was a Milan player right now hearing all this negativity, I'd be highly motivated during training time. I don't know where you've predicted our finish, Debs, but you can damn well predict the team will work their rumps like madmen all season long. And isn't that all we can ask for? A good, hard, honest game from the Rossoneri?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
i may not be a supporter of Milan but i've alway respected them as one of the best teams in Italy and Europe. On the subject of new signings for you guys, i think you shouldn't put your hopes to high for Rivaldo. He doesn't seem keen to leave Barcelona and i'm sure that the Barcelona managemnet will do everything they can to keep him there (which won't be that hard), especially now that Figo has gone to Madrid. I said it before and i'll say in again, Milan have some of the best young talent across the globe and i think Milan fans should show a little faith towards them. Ofcourse you could use with atleast one big signing but Milan won't fall apart if they don't get someone.

About Galliani and Berlusconi, i remember when they were saying after Milan's disappointing exit from the CL that they would reform the squad and do what they had to to make Milan a contender again. So far they've made promises and delivered nothing. They shouldn't have made a bid for Beckham because it was always clear he would stay at Manchester. Milan have also been unlucky last year when they were going to buy Martin Palermo from Boca Juniors but he got injuryed and the deal was off. Even though i'm not a fan of him, he would have been an addition.

All i can say is good luck for this season and don't expect too much and if Milan don't do well this year you will have to agree there should be some change.

[Edited by Malcolm_Z on 21-07-2000 at 14:19]

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lazio is my dream team and I´m very much looking forward to the Argentine connection but I would also like to say that Milan is never a weak team.

Someone wrote that it´s a long season and that´s very true so there is no real point in trying to predict the outcome because for all we know Napoli could walk home with Lo Scudetto.

However I do think that a big signing is something Milan should strive for if for no other reason but the fans with season tickets.

Boban is a gamble and throwing in Leonardo or some other player in that position is just not Champions Leauge / Scudetto mentality. I belive that Milan needs to be sure that the Axis: Central Defender - Playmaker - Striker is world class. Right now Central Defender ( who ?? :), Playmaker ( Boban - question about his fitness ) and Striker ( Bierhoff - question about his skills ) is way below Scudetto/Champions Leauge quality.

However Gattuso and Ambrosini will fight as always and they are great when they fight, Sheva will score as always and Maldini is a sure thing ( but also a finger lifted in question of his fitness ).

As a football fan from a different club I can say that Milan looks to have a solid team that seems very eager to win and has no internal problems ( egos etc ). Compare that to my club ( Lazio ) which seems to be unstable ( Verons passport, egos of Miha, Veron may want to move to Real, etc etc ) the atmosphere in Milan seems perfect for a surprise.

Forza Lazio !!

·
Registered
415 Posts
True, I think one positive is that you hear virtually nothing about Milan's squad in the press. And like some of you mentioned, there've been very little changes made in the team, so there isn't likely to be any conflicts between the players. That still doesn't change my opinion of Milan needing a little reinforcement though...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
gee...

so many lazio fans. goose, great post. And yeah, if I was a milan players listening to the talks about not good enough, you will see we want to prove ourselves.
ciao!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
People talking about Beckham coming to Milan should shutup, Milan is too good for Beckham, he will never suit the rossi e neri. Stay at Man Utd Beckham, thats where you belong.
Milan needs no changes right now, they are still a major competitor in the Serie a and cl, just like always.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts