Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few years back some teams were heavily criticised for playing defensive games in ucl. Now no one is saying anything when the top team in England plays such a defensive game in two legs. Hypocrisy! Or now defensive football is accepted because teams from the best league in the world are doing it:confused:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
AFAIK it's because we've paid off the refs, competition organisers, opposition and also have the media in our back pocket. Our close connections to the KGB, Italian Mafia, Chinese Triads, Japanese Yakuza and Salvation Army also aid us in our quest for world domination.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
what? i thought they were scrutinised pretty heavily in the press which is where praise and criticism comes from.

what do you want them kicked out of the champions league?

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what? i thought they were scrutinised pretty heavily in the press which is where praise and criticism comes from.
where? I would like to see some links. If this was some Italian team, you will see millions of threads in extratime alone criticising them. Pure double standards

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Don't worry, Chelsea's attacking minded football will prevail.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Had this been an italian team we wouldn't hear the end of it. The sad part is that no matter how deffensive italian teams get, they NEVER let their attacker/(s) turn into a rightback (Rooney) or a supporting striker into Gattuso (Tevez) :rollani: .

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The difference between current united side and those Italian sides is that, We didn't make lifestyle of shit-defensive football against our opponents. Its just 2 games (out of what? 50 odd games?). Ignoring the luxuary of hindsight, you have united against supposed to be the best attacking team (Now we know that barca bar messi is just paper tigers). Knowing united's record in Europe (and considering the fact that, this is one of our best chance in the recent years), I wouldn't blame fergie for being cynic: As I said earlier, who thought barca are just paper tigers (Sure they are shit in league, but they along with united holds the record for most no: of goals in this CL). IMO we could have battered barca playing our all out attack (that we normally plays: please refer the last saturday game, or any other games bar the ones against barca), since they are toothless in attack (as demonstrated in the semi finals), and shabby in defence.
PS: Rooney was absent in the second leg, and he played in the wings in the first leg. Don't know where you got that left back thing.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Calcio, becuz people havent been able to digest the fact that

C.Ron, Nani, Tevez, Park and/or Rooney.... Playing together could be 'Defensive'

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
There's no excuse, whether it's a few games or many. It's disgusting. Smaller teams can be excused, but sides like Man Utd? hell no :yuck:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Man Utd are one of the British teams now reponsible for the return of catenaccio. They are winning with it so they shouldnt care, but everyone is right... all I hear is how wonderful Man Utd play when they simply play catenaccio at its best.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
The difference between current united side and those Italian sides is that, We didn't make lifestyle of shit-defensive football against our opponents. Its just 2 games (out of what? 50 odd games?). Ignoring the luxuary of hindsight, you have united against supposed to be the best attacking team (Now we know that barca bar messi is just paper tigers). Knowing united's record in Europe (and considering the fact that, this is one of our best chance in the recent years), I wouldn't blame fergie for being cynic: As I said earlier, who thought barca are just paper tigers (Sure they are shit in league, but they along with united holds the record for most no: of goals in this CL). IMO we could have battered barca playing our all out attack (that we normally plays: please refer the last saturday game, or any other games bar the ones against barca), since they are toothless in attack (as demonstrated in the semi finals), and shabby in defence.
PS: Rooney was absent in the second leg, and he played in the wings in the first leg. Don't know where you got that left back thing.
Its not 2 games sunshine... Man Utd have played catenaccio for at least 3 years in Europe now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Its not 2 games sunshine... Man Utd have played catenaccio for at least 3 years in Europe now.
No evidence for this. ref. Roma 1 - 7 Man Utd, you of all people shouldn't forget that.

We're good at both defending and attacking, we just wanted to show you how it's done, we gots mad skillz...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
That was catenaccio aswell... some people mistake Catenaccio for a team who simply draws 0-0 or wins 1-0... it isnt... Italian teams in the past were also able to win games 3 or 4-0 by setting up defensively and countering their opponents... thats exactly what Man U have done every time you faced Roma... 7-1, 1-0, whatever the score... you have set up defensively and counter attacked us because we leave very few players back. This is Roma's mistake but it is far easier to create chances against a team with say 3 men back, than 4 or 5.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
3 years in europe and 7-1 was catenaccio :D. If that is the case, I would love to see it more often. I think, you are confused with catenaccio and free flowing attack against a lame, stupid opposition. Oh, btw wikipedia gives me a totally different idea of catenaccio.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
BTW Man U this season have won 3 of their games 1-0 in the knockout stage and catenaccio indeed is intended to win the games with a clean sheet against the tough opponents, but as back in the 60's and as is now, the team does not always win 1-0, it can be 5-0, 4-1, 3-1, 0-0, you can even lose... but the main affect of catenaccio is to keep your defence very strong first and foremost... In Europe especially, this is Man Utd. Obviously the difference of Man U and say Rangers this season is that Man U have better attacking players who can also score, otherwise Man U have been exactly the same as Rangers particularly this year :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
So in short, strong defence/clean sheets = catenaccio. Gotcha..

·
Registered
276 Posts
BTW Man U this season have won 3 of their games 1-0 in the knockout stage and catenaccio indeed is intended to win the games with a clean sheet against the tough opponents, but as back in the 60's and as is now, the team does not always win 1-0, it can be 5-0, 4-1, 3-1, 0-0, you can even lose... but the main affect of catenaccio is to keep your defence very strong first and foremost... In Europe especially, this is Man Utd. Obviously the difference of Man U and say Rangers this season is that Man U have better attacking players who can also score, otherwise Man U have been exactly the same as Rangers particularly this year :)
No matter how you try and spin it united don't play catenaccio. Just give it a rest and stop trolling.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts