Xtratime Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
well said indeed. At the end Chinese people don't like football as a pastime as they or others think. We like to watch it with a distance, that is why elite European teams have some support but local domestic teams get ignored.

One reason for this is that there are no facilities and spare time for teens. In college students play more, but that is way too late to develop any talents.

If football can get played at a scale of one tenth of Ping-pong in kids, then China will rule the world. However, given the resource scarce compounded with population density in cities, and resource scarce and living pressure in rural areas, it is a very long shot.

China has few urban slums or a lower class that sees professional athletics as a ticket to riches, a deeply enrooted culture that prizes academic achievement above sporting prowess, non-existent grassroots facilities, corrupt organisational structures and a rigid archaic talent scouting system.

In the end, who cares? China's story is one of economic growth and the transition of the rural into the urban, not of footballing romance.

Also as Glen said, there is probably 50 basketball courts to every soccer field. I've never played pick-up basketball anywhere other than China, and never anything other than pick-up football in Melbourne. If China becomes good at any form of football, it would probably be in futsal or similar.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
I don't think this is a Chinese only thing. It seems to be the case in most PL mad Asian countries. Not really seeing the Thai or Malaysian players come through either. Noteable that Korea and Japan focused on their own leagues and seem to produce better players.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Indonesians can go on that list too.

Football mad, very big population, have had a good league structure for quite a while now. Never make a serious mark.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
China have definitely improved... they are still inconsistent to a point but players are solidifying their positions in the XI while before it was said coach Gao was trying players out more, sifting in and out, so there was mad irregularity. But now the guys who stood up and performed in his system are maintained... their latest result was a 1-1 draw vs. Paraguay, granted a friendly, but the coach feels they've stepped up from class 3 to class 2 Asian nation and if they continue they'll climb further. I'm curious to see how they perform in the Asian Cup and beyond.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Chinese NT will become much better in the future. The friendly win over France should raise a little bit of confidence.

The thing is with China, they have a lot of top sports like gymnastics, diving for swimming, and a lot of other events. Their hands are full, but sooner or later, I'm sure they will make room so Chinese football will become as equal competitors with Iran, South Korea, and Japan. I'm sure one day they will top these guys given that they have a massive economy and a massive amount of people. Just will need time.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Chinese NT will become much better in the future. The friendly win over France should raise a little bit of confidence.

The thing is with China, they have a lot of top sports like gymnastics, diving for swimming, and a lot of other events. Their hands are full, but sooner or later, I'm sure they will make room so Chinese football will become as equal competitors with Iran, South Korea, and Japan. I'm sure one day they will top these guys given that they have a massive economy and a massive amount of people. Just will need time.
Deng Zhuoxiang, who scored the winner vs. France and the beautiful FK vs. Kuwait, is thought of as one of China's brightest prospects, along with Feng Rengliang, alas injured. Further into the match he did come more into prominence though hopefully he shows for all 90 minutes vs. Qatar.

Those sports you mention, gymnastics and diving, etc. people have said they contrast so starkly with football in that they involve repetition and such, but football is so full of variables, something ever changing.

·
Registered
29,268 Posts
China can easily hire players from abroad, first give them nationality and then make them perfect soccer players in European soccer academies and then all things gonna perfect. That's all.

^huh, go figure, there's a market for Miami criminal defense lawyers on XT (the most famous subforums such as Asian, Croatia, Brazil..).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/12/shanghai-shenhua-chelsea-nicolas-anelka

Anelka signs in Shanghai, that's be by far the biggest name in China yet.

·
Registered
43,218 Posts

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,015 Posts
Henk ten Cate (57) has been appointed as coach of Chinese club Shandong Luneng, best of luck to him. :D

·
Registered
58,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The NT might not be great but Guangzhou is storming their way to the Asian CL final. Elkeson, formerly of Botafogo, seems to be scoring goals for fun for them. Is he that good?

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Chinese clubs had never done anything in the ACL, but Guangzhou are definitely the strongest team from the CSL that I've ever seen/known. You've got the South Americans like Elkeson, Muriqui, and Dario Conca, the Korean Kim Young-Gwon who Lippi believes can play for a top European club, and [although Chinese football sucks :D] some of the cream that Chinese footy has to offer - Gao Lin, Feng Renliang, and Lippi rates the defender Zhang Linpeng very highly.

I'll be interested in seeing how they perform in the Club World Cup, assuming they qualify.

Wally, Elkeson has scored 25 goals in 22 appearances for Guangzhou according to wiki :eek: for Botafogo he scored 19 goals from 66 appearances which isn't bad of course, but obviously it tells you the CSL is inferior defensively.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
btw, the only football pitch in my home town city (city district) is in my high school……except the city stadium.
This is part of the problem just within 5minutes ride of my house there are 7 football clubs. Not counting the countless pitches on everyblokc.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts