Xtratime Community banner

What are the reasons of African teams poor performances on this World Cup?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
Ghana played well but didn't finish their chances and their tactics for the most part played into the US hands (long balls, crosses, they didn't use their pace to run at defenders)

Cameroon were poor and conservative but I think they are the weakest African team in the tournament and are lucky just to be at the World Cup. They are here partly because of an administrative error, enough said.

Nigeria were AWFUL

Ivory Coast should advance from their group. I give Algeria chances becuz their group isn't that difficult

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
should they lose one World Cup spot if only one team makes it to the 2nd round? even though even this is far from certain...
The funny thing is Africa is the one confederation who is really adamant that they deserve more spots :D Like I said before CAF supports Blatter big time so I doubt they will lose spots. In recent World Cups the pattern for Africa is the same: one team makes it out the group but the rest are awful

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is very hard to qualify from there because there are some many semi-strong teams and the overall level is so competitive but there are not that many truly great teams overall which could be dominant on the world stage. I can't see how they could have more...

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Ghana played well but didn't finish their chances and their tactics for the most part played into the US hands (long balls, crosses, they didn't use their pace to run at defenders)

Cameroon were poor and conservative but I think they are the weakest African team in the tournament and are lucky just to be at the World Cup. They are here partly because of an administrative error, enough said.

Nigeria were AWFUL

Ivory Coast should advance from their group. I give Algeria chances becuz their group isn't that difficult
Ghana was much better than the US and even if you are right about not finishing their chances the class difference between the two sides was really obvious.

I don't think Nigeria were that bad mainly in the first half. They scored a clean goal against an ultra-defensive (and truly horrible) Iran but I think Keshi got his subs wrong. I think Moses was having a quite good game, it was very weird to see him leave to bring on that useless Ameobi.

I agree about Cameroon and Ivory Coast and I also have a feeling that Alegria can grab that second place.

·
Administrator
29,409 Posts
It is exactly the same in every world cup, they never had more than 1 team pass the group stage and this time it seems that will be the same.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
They're probably overrated. It takes more than 1 or 2 stars to make a good team. Drogba or Essien for example are (or were) great talents but they're not enough to lift the whole team.

Look at the world's best, Spain, Italy, Germany...multiple competent and accomplished players at every position. What African teams lack is clearly proper long-term investment and development. It's no wonder that typically rich countries with large populations and a strong interest in football win the World Cup.

For this reason I believe the first country to win the World Cup outside of Europe and South America will probably be the USA or maybe even an Asian country. The money is there: check. The population base is there: check. All you really need to wait for is a strong interest in the sport across the entire nation.

But basically it's still mostly about the investment and development...you gotta follow the money, not the hype.

Although, admittedly, as far as the USA or an Asian or even African World Cup winner is concerned, that's still a ways away. Maybe not even in my lifetime.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Ghana and Nigeria have African coaches, which should they know by now it is never going to work. They should hire European coaches.

Just like when you go to court and can't afford an attorney, the court assigns you one. FIFA should assign them a European coach if they don't have one when they come to the World Cup.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
An ex-Socceroos footballer tweeted this and has been rightly slammed for it.
He's got a point there. Is it racist? Every time a white guy says something that is not praising a black guy it's always racist. Now that I read it a second time, it's definitely racist.
Have they always had black goalies?
Eneyama shits all over Joe Hart. But Joe Hart's brother is a better goalie than the rest of them.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts