·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Guardian
March 31, 2006
Why greed of G14 is the greatest threat facing the game
Niall Quinn

Cheeky, greedy, arrogant: if asked to summarise my view of the G14 in three words, this would be it. I have a fundamental objection to the fact the G14 organisation exists and, though some may think this is a dry political issue, I can assure you it is not. This matters: these are people who want to take control of professional football, monopolise it economically and erase the risk of relegation. To me their philosophy represents the antithesis of sport and they have to be fought.

There have always been powerful groups in football and we know that some clubs will always be more equal than others, but the formation of a cabal with the express aim of protecting themselves has taken things to a new level.

G14 has joined the court case in which the Belgian club Charleroi are claiming compensation from Fifa for the loss of an injured Moroccan player, Abdelmajid Oulmers, in a friendly match between Morocco and Burkina Faso. Charleroi's claim, being pushed hard by G14, is that Fifa should pay the compensation. Not doing so, says G14, represents abuse of a "dominant position" by Fifa.

Dominant position? Fifa is world football's governing body and, though we may not agree with everything it does, no one can say it has not promoted the game. The simple fact that countries as different as England and Trinidad & Tobago will meet in Nuremberg in this summer's World Cup is testimony to the inclusive nature of Fifa's World Cup.

If G14 gets its hands on the game then countries such as Trinidad & Tobago can forget about World Cups. G14 is about exclusion and that does not sit right with me. Small nations will always produce footballers no matter what but without the finance from Fifa competitions, believe me, organised football in places such as Trinidad would wither and die. Above all this is what concerns me most about the power and influence of G14: the threat to the system.

I have done a lot of youth coaching since I moved back to Ireland and I am full of admiration for the Football Association of Ireland's youth structure. Like Trinidad, Ireland is not a rich football country in terms of either personnel or money and so the grass roots are fragile and have to be encouraged.

The Charleroi proposal supported by G14 is for national associations to pay clubs every time one of "their" players represents his country. Take Damien Duff, for example: what the G14 wants is the FAI to give Chelsea £70,000 every time he plays for the Republic of Ireland.

That Duff came through the ranks of youth football in Ireland, was coached and nurtured there with care and attention, seems to have passed G14 by. When he went to Blackburn Rovers, who pocketed £17m when they sold him to Chelsea, the FAI's cut was zero. Were Chelsea to sell him they would be looking for much more than £17m. Meanwhile, every time he played for his country Chelsea would get £70,000.

What £70,000 means to Chelsea and the FAI differs drastically. The immediate effect would be to slice the national associations' budgets for grass-roots organisation. Maybe a country the scale of Germany could cope but for smaller nations this would, I really think, spell the end. I have spoken to the FAI and know it is lobbying hard at MEP level in Brussels and, like Uefa and Fifa, it needs our support.

People might argue that the formation of the Premiership started all this and put ideas in the heads of the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid. But they would be forgetting that all the old First Division clubs - and there were 22 of them in 1992 - voted for the breakaway league. Even those who were likely to be relegated, and who were - Luton Town, Notts County and West Ham - voted for change.

The principle of relegation and promotion remained despite the birth of the Premier League and, although the economic disparity between the top flight and the Football League is too great now, it will only get worse if G14 gets its way.

If FIFA has the money, it funnels them back into the national federations to further develop the game. Last time I check, FIFA is a non-profit organization and profits from FIFA tournament like Africa's Cup of Nations are divied up among the participants for grass-roots development. If G-14 has their hand on this money, the smaller federations will lose and ultimately the game of football will lose.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
The question will be solved in the tribunals. If FIFA is doing something illegal, they'll have to pay. Period. After all, the laws are made by the Parliaments, which is the representation of the people. FIFA is not over the law. And it seems that there is a strong legal base for the demands of Charleroi and G-14. Why do FIFA fear the tribunals?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
scary stuff, even though i am a united fan. Football isnt about football for the people involved in these big clubs its about making as much money as possible.

·
Banned
734 Posts
if it was up to the g14 they would stop there players from playing international football, there greedy and are the new world order/illuminati of football, this whole organzation must be stoped and broken up.

if these clubs ever decide to leave uefa/fifa, fifa should say to the players you play once for these clubs, you will never again play any international football ever again.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
roma/totti said:
if these clubs ever decide to leave uefa/fifa, fifa should say to the players you play once for these clubs, you will never again play any international football ever again.
I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hopefull: And you'll see where the players finish.

Put it this way: what do you prefer 12M € per year or to defend with pride the flag of your country? :howler:

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Haroon said:
Niall Quinn is a knobber.
Why? Because he supports football at all levels rather than for a select few? Judging by your attitudte its not Quinn who is the "knobber"

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
So why don't National FA's get compensated when a player gets injured on pro duty?

They were signed up in the FA's long before any pro contract.

This greed will kill football as we know it unless it is stopped....NOW.

Cheersch

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
One of the reasons why the G-14 is arrogant is because they totally ignore the way players jump up in value during the world cup.

If the G-14 want to play that way then all of the clubs with international players need to pay FIFA for allowing them to market and showcase themselves in international tournaments.

I wish the Belgians would just make chocolates and stop trying to mess with our game. First the Bosman law and now this.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
The Green One said:
Great point paraiso, look at El Hadji Diouf as the number one example!
True dat. I would say all of the Senegalese players in general though. It's like everywhere you looked there was a Senegalese player lining up for some team.

I would also cite Zizou as an example. After the 98 world cup he was the king despite the fact that he had never won the Champions league with Juve.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Paraiso said:
I wish the Belgians would just make chocolates and stop trying to mess with our game. First the Bosman law and now this.
:D Those damned Belgians. ;)

It's completely right. If clubs can get compensation from FAs, then FAs should also get compensation from clubs. Afterall if it weren't for the FAs a lot of these players wouldn't be what they are. Oh and everytime a club gets to sell a player because he plays well at the World Cup, FIFA should get a cut of the transfer fee. Say if his price goes up from 5 milllion to 10 million the 5 million extra should all go to FIFA. After all, if it weren't for the World Cup, his price would not have gone up....right? Moreso, since the EPL only allows capped foreign players in, all EPL clubs paying for foreign players should give their FAs a piece of the action...etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts