Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not because of what's in the article but because of the fact that articles like this are published on whole pages of our nations best selling newspapers on a regular basis.

Now to the article, where I'll add my own comments purely because I think this bitch deserves to die. Stop stealing my oxygen, bitch.

Soccer in a sad, sad state
By Rebecca Wilson
November 15, 2008 12:00am
It's football you slag.

ADELAIDE United FC was comprehensively humiliated by Japanese club Gamba Osaka in the Asian Champions League this week.

In what can only be described as an embarrassing performance, the carefully constructed masquerade around the A-League was fractured.

They're Asia's second best club on a shoe-string budget. What would be embarrassingly humiliating would be Australia not winning the rugby league world cup . . .

The truth is that Australian soccer is not up to scratch and only those dozen or so players who represent Australia as Socceroos are good enough to compete on the international stage.

Maybe that's why they play international football and the rest don't?

Scratch the surface of the sport at every level and you come up with a code that is in grave danger of going the same way as basketball did a decade ago.

The A-League has served to make the sport's problems even worse. Football Federation Australia is looking at creating more teams at a time when crowds are already thinning.

Creating more A-League teams will dilute the talent even more, annoying fans and ensuring the demise of the entire competition.

The existing sides have barely enough talent to field a good team. The players they do have are decent athletes but they lack the technical ability of players at the same stage of their careers competing internationally.

Bitch doesn't remember the NSL, clearly.

Australia is widely acknowledged as producing decent defenders and goalkeepers. Those who are great strikers or attacking players learned how to play in Europe or England.

Great attackers, England, lol. And what defenders being produced, you mean those midfielders at left & right back, or those central defenders that forced Craig Moore out of retirement?

Australia has no real soccer culture. Sure, there are pockets of the country that live and breathe it but it is not systemic. Unlike rugby league or AFL, soccer does not have coaching structures in place that ensure the development of good players with finely honed skills.

Rugby league has coaching structures? Aren't they all unlicenced ex-players who aren't funny enough to work on the Footy Show? We have a coaching structure in place, I don't like it but it's 10 times better than it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

It is no coincidence that the best Australian players leave here around the age of 16. The likes of Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell fled to Europe as teenagers, knowing they would be taught technical skills that simply are not taught by Australian coaches.

Kind of like those Brazilians and Argentinians.

Many more teenagers are now doing the same thing, leaving the level down from the A-League seriously depleted and lacking in any real talent.

One father I spoke to during the week will travel with his immensely talented 16-year-old to trial with a leading German club next month. The same boy missed selection in his own state team, deemed "unsuitable" for selection at that level.

He was told his risk-taking style of play was not what the selectors wanted in a young soccer team. These blokes obviously have no idea that these are the players who are most sought after in Europe for precisely that reason.

Eleven European clubs are vying for the kid's services, selecting him from amateur home video of his on-field prowess. They can't all be wrong.

Find me a father who doesn't think his son is immensely gifted. Meanwhile 6 kids from that last U15s state side have signed deals in Europe, and they won the national final 6-0.

Those young blokes travelling to Europe rarely return as fully fledged seniors to the A-League. Only a handful of players in the domestic competition learned their trade overseas. They are home-grown and home-coached, which is why their skills are seriously lacking.

A significant chunk of the A-League is players who have plied their trade overseas for years and returned. Research can do you good, bitch. Just like if your parents had only researched birth control . .

The capitulation by Adelaide against Japan showed us just how far behind the rest of the world the A-League clubs are. The sport must surely realise there are gaping holes in soccer coaching and management that must be addressed.

Then what about capitulation of Bunyodkor?

Switch from an A-League game over to an Asian one and the contrasts could not be more marked. The game played everywhere else is fast and skilful. The A-League version is stodgy and slow.

Don't lie, you haven't seen a single Asian match.

One of the most sobering facts is that Australia has never had higher participation rates at junior level. There are just as many soccer players here as there are in the Netherlands.

I thought the A-League wasn't working, that football was dying??

The reality is that, while the Dutch produce dozens of stars year after year, very few young Australian blokes emerge from local competitions as star players.

The A-League is the only summer football code in Australia. While it may have been a good idea to move it away from the more competitive winter market, crowd figures must surely be telling the sport's bosses that something is wrong.

Either the game does surgery on itself here or soccer faces a future that is very bleak indeed. Once this crop of talented Socceroos retires, the next lot down don't look too flash.

In recent years, the Joeys have gone from being in the top four junior sides in the world to not even making the top 20. These are the players that soccer bosses reckon can fly the flag for Australia in the future.

They were never top four, they just had a free ticket into the World Cup coming through Oceania.

The juggernaut that threatened to come from the last World Cup campaign has failed to materialise. Soccer is in crisis and Adelaide United's horrendous two losses in recent weeks proved once and for all that something has to be done to fix it.

·
Registered
59,106 Posts
So Rob Baan and Pim Verbeek are doing a good job? :proud:

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are, to this point in time.

I'll tell you that the education coaches are forced to go through is heavily Dutch influenced, and that can only be positive thing. They'll push the Dutch model to it's limits because it's one that fits in with and builds upon Australian football. It continues on with the higher tempo, faster paced game that already comes natural here, just adds much more technical ability to it.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It had the second last page in the Daily Telegraph today, so more or less the most prominent page in the sports section bar the back page. And it was a whole page feature.

I'm not for wishing death upon people, I just think some people should never have been conceived. She's one of them.

·
Registered
59,106 Posts
and with the good convict mentality in sports, which our football players often don't have, you really can go far.

Funny to see those 2 doing well down under, considering their pasts at Feyenoord, although that said Verbeek was very young back back then while Baan did do some good things like get Emerton, Kalou etc before going mad a summer or two after the UEFA Cup win when 6 starters were sold with guys like Ghaly, Alfred Schreuder, Peter vd Berg lol coming in to replace them...oh yes and Kuijt but he was probably the only good signing that summer.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Verbeek is a pretty intelligent man, and when you compare him to what the NT here has had in the past, he's amongst the best (of course not including Hiddink). But if you look at the list you see why, these are just some of the guys who've been in charge in the last 30 odd years;

Raul Blanco (Macarthur head of coaching now :howler:)
Frank Farina
Graham Arnold
Les Scheinflug :yuck:
Frank Arok
Eddie Thompson
Terry Venebles

Apart from Terry Venebles they're all a bit . . eh. Don't get me wrong, I thought Eddie Thompson for one was a great guy, and Frank Arok is a pretty good bloke too, but they're not international level managers.

As for Baan, all he's doing is working at implementing a structure here. He has experience working with youth structures so that automatically makes him better than anyone who's done the same job before him.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
To just point out how little credibility Rebecca Wilson has: she hosted a chat show for Big Brother earlier in the year. Nobody takes the dumb bitch seriously, especially when you just know she hasn't watched a match, least of all any of our Champions League matches. How do you think we got that far in the first place, Rebecca? Luck?

If you ever wanted to look at a sport on its knees, Rebecca, then look at your beloved rugby league. The NRL's average attendance is propped up by the Brisbane Broncos, the only team capable of getting crowds in excess of merely 25,000 regularly. They didn't even get a sell-out to Australia vs. New Zealand at the SFS three weeks ago, for pete's sake. Regularly poster clubs like the Roosters get worse crowds than Sydney FC and the Storm, after a decade, haven't even gone close to making the kind of inroads into the Victorian market like the Victory have after less than five.

Sponsors are leaving (mostly to football, funnily enough), most of the Sydney clubs are barely breathing financially (Cronulla is all but set to go into administration, so desperate are they for cash they're letting the NRL pay for them to play in Adelaide :eek:) with the Queensland teams making you look better, and worst of all players are leaving in their droves for Europe. Sonny Bill Williams won't be the last young gun to go. It's only the money from NewsCorp that's keeping your pathetic suburban sport alive, yet you dare to have a go at us off the back of one loss against a team that would have done the same to every team in Asian football? Oh please.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
As for Baan, all he's doing is working at implementing a structure here. He has experience working with youth structures so that automatically makes him better than anyone who's done the same job before him.
Thing is that isn't even going to start showing results until the next decade. Those 12-14 year olds involved in it now will be where it kicks off, but we won't see them in first-teams for a long while yet. Considering we're doing well enough in AFC youth tournaments - an injury time defeat in the QFs at the U17 tournament last month and made the semi-finals of the U19 tournament a week ago - there is obviously potential there.

The other thing dingbats like Rebecca Wilson won't even be aware of is that the J-League has more than a decade head start on the A-League. Of course they're producing players like Endo, they've had more than ten years to get to this point. To expect a club that is five years old and the only team to have ever made it this far to win is just absurd. It's the sort of expectations befitting a fan of a sport played in two Australian states, two and a bit counties in northern England and by New Zealanders not good enough to play rugby. It's slightly tougher when you play outside the commonwealth.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I couldn't finish reading that article, i don't care if a journalist wants to criticise soccer in Australia as long as they do it fairly, this is just tripe. And Onree i agree with you totally about Rugby League being the sport with a dire future in Australia. The reaction to Adelaide's achievement should be the complete opposite. This is only the second year our clubs have been in the competition yes?

I've been watching the Asian ESPN football columnists quite alot and they've been speaking about an imminent shift of power in Asian football because of our arrival. Who is this trollop anyway? Can someone post a photo so i can see if i recognise her?

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
meh, just another 'soccer' hater...these are people who are uncultured and generally dumb people...id take no notice...

add her to the ;

Mike Shehan

Tony Jones

and any other yobbo idiot...

list

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Ohh her hahaha i hate that b*tch! I think she used to be a netball player or a swimmer? I don't care if someone refers to the sport as soccer, infact i find it really annoying when people try to tell me i should call it football while i'm in Australia, she obviously doesn't havwe a clue though.

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
PAAAAHAHAHAHHAAA!!

Les Murray...what a cult legend

all of it needs to be seen...

Rebecca, do shut up

On another topic I cannot let this opportunity pass without saying something about the silly, juvenile article Rebecca Wilson wrote in the Daily Telegraph.

Her GPS must have gone haywire on the way to work that day because her car obviously took her to another planet.

Wilson, a kind of Ray Chesterton in drag, contended that ‘soccer’ in Australia was in crisis because Gamba Osaka out-skilled and outplayed Adelaide United in the ACL final.

Which is like saying German football is in demise because Bayern Munich got pumped by Zenit St Petersburg in last season’s UEFA Cup. Or that Spanish football is on the brink of death following Real Madrid’s twice in a row loss to Juventus.

She claims, quite correctly, that Australian players lack the technical skills needed to compete at international level. Wow, what a revelation!

I guess I should feel proud that what Johnny Warren and I and thousands of others have been saying for 40 years has finally got through to Rebecca Wilson. But she ain’t fooling anyone. Most of us can smell an old fashioned soccer basher from a hundred miles.

The curious thing about this is that Wilson’s late father, Bruce Wilson, a lovely man, was a sports journo of serious integrity with a distinct affection for football.

He wrote warmly about it often, including after attending Australia’s victorious game against England at Upton Park in 2003, on which he reported with pride and enthusiasm.

This, we gather, didn’t rub off on his daughter who clings mysteriously to the belief that rugby league, her sport of choice, is some kind of cultural treasure which must be protected, above all against the smelly hordes from the north who, with soccer in their saddlebags, threaten to over-run us, rape our women and gallop off with our children.

I have news for her. The smelly hordes are coming not just from the north but from the east, south and west, from everywhere. Soccer (‘We refuse to call it football,’ she says) will soon engulf this nation to the point that we will all love it so much we won’t be able to breathe.

The times are a changing. So live with it, girl.

My parting advice to Rebecca is this: With your looks, your leathery face and ironed-on hair, not to say your god awful nasal twang, try not to spend 16 days of the next televised Olympics sitting beside the ravishing Sonia Kruger. Not good for the career.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh man, Les had me scared the last few months, I thought he'd lost 'it'.

But this is proof that he still has some. Legend. L-E-G-E-N-D :howler:

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
i thought she was the one on that AFL show. but then Onree mentioned big brother and i remembered who she is. what a silly little girl. which dumbass editor would allow for such garbage to be published? she knows nothing of the sport, typical telegraph shit. i mean if i started writing about table tennis will they publish my article?

all that needs to be said Les delievered with aplomb.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
SUPER LES SUPER LES SUPER LES MURRAY!

what a guN!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts