Xtratime Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know in alot of sports these days (esp. here in the states) you here things how for example the NFL wanted to see the Patriots in the super bowl because of the 9-11 situation, or how the NBA will like to have a clasic finals with the celtics-lakers, will in my personal view you all know FIFA wants to see either Argentina, Brazil, Italy, France, or England in the finals, when if you think about it you think they should favor Portugal. Why? I'll tell you why. 1. Look at the size of Portugal compared to the 5 I named above, you would think FIFA would want a country that small to win, hey like in alot of occasions biggers not always better,;) , but i guess in FIFA's eyes they are. 2. Another reason is Portugal as what an estimated population of what 10 million people, and a country that small can produce more superstar players then any of the 5 above something as got to be in the water. And my third and final reason is their is Portuguese immigrants in every cornor of the world. Yes the United States do have a huge number of Latino Americans, but Latin AMerica isnt a country it pretty much is every country in the south of north america, and every country in south america. There are huge numbers of Portuguese people in the Boston,Providence,Hartford, New York, New Jersey,Florida, California, and more in the States, In canada there is tons in Toronto,Vancouver,Montreal,Winnipig, and more, Theres even Portuguese people in england, luxemburgo, france, switzerland, brazil, angloa, mozambique, cape verde, timor, macao, australia, and others. Now do u think why FIFA shouldnt want portugal as world champs.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
You also have to come to the conclusion that if this Portuguese squad wins it, it will be like a story book ending. Since this is the last time you'll probably see all of these players playing together in the World Cup and considering that they won the World Youth Championships in 1991, FIFA may want it to look like it was destiny.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Are you guys kidding? If FIFA had any say in who wins, we'd be toast. They want BIG market teams to do well and hopefully get to the finals. There might be a lot of Portuguese speaking people in the world, but that doesn't translate into the $ the final event would attract if bigger market teams get to the final.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Exactly, they don't give a rat's ass about us. They want a rich country to win it. We are a nation of 10 million. Every other country that has a chance to win it has tens of millions, and some of the biggest economies in the world.

Don't believe me. How often do you see a player get his 2nd yellow card and an expulsion for walking off the field too slowly. Well as Portuguese followers, we all know that is exactly what happened to Rui Costa in Germany (Sept '97) in a crucial qualifier. Who can forget Conceicao waiting to come on but being held back once Rui was sent off. I know you'll never forget Rui Costa inconsolable on the sideline.

That whole mess was a fix, perpetrated by the Germans. Less than a year later in the WC the exact same referee (Frenchman Marc Batta) was in almost the exact same situation. That time it was more blatant. Romania led England 1-0 and was holding on for dear life. Hagi, already with a yellow card took his sweet ass time coming off all the way from Romania's net.
England tied it 1-1 but Romania hit back to win 2-1

Same ref, a more obvious time wasting situation, he didn't make the call. Hell, Portugal was not under pressure in Germany. We were winning and playing well.

We know why Germany was seeded in the Group Draws while Portugal and England were not. All Germany did is look at the previous method for seeding, saw it would benefit them and made then keep the same calculations. Even though they were total bull****.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The most annoying part of my rant above is listening to people who think they know soccer say , "Why isn't Portugal in the World Cup?" and they would think we weren't good enough.

It was so frustrating watching WC 98 knowing that we were one of the best 8 in the world.

I don't know about you guys but all during WC 98 I watched all the games and imagined how PORTUGAL would do against the teams.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Sorry Rulez, but in 98 we didn't qualify because we didn't take care of business at home. We should have never been in that position against Germany to begin with. Although I do agree with you on the refs decision.

Btw, I don't think that FIFA has much of a say in the WC. After all Croatia in 98 made the semis and there even smaller than Portugal. France in 98 was simply the best team. As they are now.

Portugal just has to play their game. Be disciplined and smart, and pray that the Goal gods have blessed them with more than efficient finishing ability.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Going back to 98 we were never going to qualify , to many draws & besides only scoring 11 goals under Artur Jorges regime in 10 games was always going to have the team frustrated ... Who remembers SaPinto attacking Jorge after being dropped for the qualifyer V Northern Ireland ???
Artur Jorge effectively put the NT behind 2 years.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You're proving my point. We gave away 2 points in Armenia, 2 in N Ireland (days after Sa Pinto smacked Jorge), we lost in Ukraine, tied at home against Germany although we dominated the 2nd half.

Even after all this we went to Germany and were robbed of our chance to make up for it. With that win we would have definitely been in the playoff. That win would have levelled us with GER at 21 pts. Ger would have taken goal differential. Ukraine had 20 points and lost to Croatia in the playoff. How did Croatia do at WC 98? I can't remember. :D

Hell, a month later on the day we beat N Ireland (Conceicao GOOOLLLL!!!!), Germany was having trouble wrapping things up against Albania. They only beat Albania 4-3 in Germany.

It's not how you get there. There are no style points, although during some of those qualifiers I wish there were. Who remembers that Italy, the GREAT ITALY :D had to play Russia in a playoff to qualify for WC 98.

Those of us who follow the game know that Germany was crumbling at that time. They were not replacing fading veterans with young players of the same calibre. Euro 96 was their last kick for a while.

This is why it was no shock to me when Germany crashed out in Euro 2000 (Conceicao GOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!), even though the England and Germany were favoured by most of the so-called experts.

So in closing; countries like ours have to win convicingly. If we leave it close there can always be disputed calls (Xavier's hand ball) that make you wonder.... If it were reversed and Joao Pinto would have driven the ball at Lizerazu's hand would it have been a penalty? Hmmm.... interesting.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Ever since the 3-2 comeback victory over England in Euro 2000, Portugal has earned my utmost respect as football team. You guys play with the flair and determination that gives the game a good image. Since you'll be playing the USA in the group stage, all of Canada will be supporting you.:)

If everything falls into place you guys will be facing Italy in the semis. It would be great to see Figo, Nuno Gomes, Pauleta and company put 3 goals past Toldo to knock out the Azzuri.:D

GOOD LUCK IN THE WC!:)

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Jamal said:
Ever since the 3-2 comeback victory over England in Euro 2000, Portugal has earned my utmost respect as football team. You guys play with the flair and determination that gives the game a good image. Since you'll be playing the USA in the group stage, all of Canada will be supporting you.:)

If everything falls into place you guys will be facing Italy in the semis. It would be great to see Figo, Nuno Gomes, Pauleta and company put 3 goals past Toldo to knock out the Azzuri.:D

GOOD LUCK IN THE WC!:)
Watch it you smartass canuck. Some of us are Yanks as well you know!!!

:wth: :wth:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts