Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been over 70 years since the first WC and you would think that by now an European team would have won it outside Europe. I am not sure if there is an specific reason, but IMO in the last few years it has to do with the fact that Europeans hardly ever play outside their continent unless it's a WC. While South Americans play outside their continent all the time so they tend to be more adaptable.

Regardless of the reason this that not bode well for Europeans since the WCs after 2006 in all likelyhood will only return to Europe every 8 years from then on.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
It's probably like you said. South Americans usually make a life for themselves in Europe or some other continent. They are used to traveling and therefore having to adapt to another culture quickly. Europeans on the other hand have it too easy at times. Look at Spanish players, there is only a handful that play football outside of Spain, let alone another continent.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
But his phenomena of leaving the continent only started really happening 20 years ago. What about the other 50 years of European dissapointments???:confused: :rolleyes: ;) :tongue:

Only Brazil can win outside its own continent......and that is a FACT!;) :cool: :D :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
About Brazil's 1958 Team...

But Ze, even before the past 20 years, only ONE team really managed to win the Cup outside their own continent: Brazil's WC '58 superteam, with Pelé, Garrincha, Didi, Nilton Santos and Zagallo. I mean, this was an exception - because this was an exceptional team. This team could beat anyone, anywhere, simply because no other team in any period of time ever gathered this absurd amount of talent. This was the strongest team ever to win a World Cup. I mean this without disrespect to other World Cup champions - Beckenbauer, Maradona, Dino Zoff, Obdulio Varela, Zidane, these are all great and deserving champions. But Brazil '58 was awesome.

This team was even better than Brazil '70, because in '58 we had Pelé and Garrincha, while twelve years later we only had Pelé (along with half-a-dozen geniuses, but Garrincha was one-of-a-kind).

So I agree with Gabemar, Europeans resist playing out of Europe quite a lot. Euro clubs practically don't do overseas friendlies and refuse to participate in any kind of competition in South America or Africa.

The 1st official World Club Cup was held in Brazil and only one of the Euro clubs cared enough to prepare adequately, Real Madrid - which earned them a tie against Corinthians in Sao Paulo. Manchester Utd came thinking it would be a walk and Romario's Vasco humiliated them in Maracana. Corinthians ended up being world champion over Vasco, in an all-South American final which only served to confirm Europeans' vague impression that playing in South America isn't a good idea. :rollani:

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Garrincha,
I'm talking abuot players leaving the country with such ease. It only really started happening constantly 20 years ago with Italy took away the ban on foreigners and Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Junior went to play in the boot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts