Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy boasts of talents such as Totti, Cassano, Gilraldino, Vieri, Lucarelli, Di Michele, Di Natale, Del Piero, Caracciolo, Toni, Miccoli, etc etc. I want to know why does Italy have so much striking talent. I know some of the obvious answers but I would like to here what some of you guys think and maybe a pearl of wisdom will appear. I also ask this question just to see what is happening in Italy at the moment so as to gain a better understanding of Italian football. Also Italy's striking talent in comparison to other countries in the world.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You must be kidding.If you said this a few years ago maybe but not now. Only Cassano, Totti and Gila and sometimes Miccoli is worth mentioning from that list. Di Natale is more a flank-forward like Esposito. Lucarelli, Toni, Iaquinta, Carraciolo are good but not class and not NT material.... They'll probably get capped anyways what with this moron Lippi calling up anyone with two legs. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Montella should be on there too.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Zangari...italy had so much more talent attack wise during the mid 90;s

right now ill be honest...we have a lot of options..but there hardly world beaters!!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pirri you are correct as well is Della Rocca. Perhaps we should change the topic of this thread to a comparison of the Italian striking talent as compared to other countries. Sorry about this.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
The players have always been there,Ones like Lucarelli,Di Michele,Amoruso,Di Napoli for example have alwayss been in the shadows scoring .Tless alikes maybe haven't been noticed as much,But there is a bit of quality running around,whether or not they can make it for Italy is another thing.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
as individual players for their domestic clubs, italy has many good players. But when they play for the national team, they cant perform as well.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
It is true, not many countries have so much attacking talent. Only Brazil and Argentina but heck even they lose to crappy teams also. No country in Europe can say they are head and shoulders above Italy in terms of the attacking players they possess unless you are talking about wingers, Then Spain open up a different world of options.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beside Camoranesi do we have any pure winger I would also like to point out that the Dutch have a plethora of strikers and wingers. By Winger I am talking about someone with fantastic skill who can deek out someone and then deliver a pin point cross or even go it alone. Would you consider Di Natale a winger?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I would also like to point out that the Dutch have a plethora of strikers and wingers. By Winger I am talking about someone with fantastic skill who can deek out someone and then deliver a pin point cross or even go it alone.
Their only great striker is van Nistelrooy, Kluivert is mediocre, van Hooijdonk too old and Makaay doesn't fit their system.
Robben is a very good winger, but Zenden, van der Meyde and van Persie are nothing special.
Italy on the other hand have many support strikers and attacking mids, so wingers aren't really needed. Still, there's Zambrotta.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Brazil's attack ios brilliant and always put on a showing for the NT,Adriano,Kaka,Ronaldinho,Emerson, etc are so consistent it's not funny.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,448 Posts
Mago said:
Their only great striker is van Nistelrooy, Kluivert is mediocre, van Hooijdonk too old and Makaay doesn't fit their system.
Robben is a very good winger, but Zenden, van der Meyde and van Persie are nothing special.
Italy on the other hand have many support strikers and attacking mids, so wingers aren't really needed. Still, there's Zambrotta.
Holland also has Van Der Vaart, Kuyt, Vennegoor, Castellen. Their attacking options are about as good as Italy's imo.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
VDV has been poor this year. Makaay and Van Nistelrooy are their true world class strikers. Robben of course a great winger. Their main downfall is their ego which is too big so they suck!

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
...its also intresting to mention, Italia always have great keepers too ! so many options for nt coach to chose.

·
Registered
46,535 Posts
We have not really a great striking talent lately. It is interesting to see that most of the average/little clubs have Italian strikers, yet they are nothing special if you compare them to the forwards we had in the late 90s who are now around 30 years old (Vieri, Montella, F.Inzaghi). The only really talented new striker we have is Gilardino.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
yeah, only gilardino has the potential. but he isnt anywhere near the best in europe. its a problem italy has now. i think italy's main strengths over the years hahve now become their weakness and they weakness their strength, ie. midfield seems to have many young talents now..de rossi, blasi, pirlo, maresca to name a few.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Yes of course you can perform consistantly in serie A but if you can't produce the goods playing for Italy that's another thing.I don't know how players like Lucarelli,Di Natale,Iaquinta,Fava,di Michele,amoruso etc will fare for Italy but then again they need to be given a fair go.catch 22 it seems.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts