Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from 98/99 when we won the champions league, why can't we consistently win in the latter stages of the UCL. Since the season we won it we have only won 1 match in the knockout stages (Deportivo 2001/2002) and only won twice since the Champions league started (Porto 96/97) if you don't count 98/99.

A team like Man Utd should be consistently reaching the semis and finals however for some reason, even in our peak years we seem to always lose in the first knockout round. The more puzzling thing is that we always do well in the group stages as we have been through to knockout stages 9 times in a row. You can argue that the competition in the knockout stages is much higher than in the group stages however, when there were the second group stages we always seem to have no problem advancing even though the level of competition here was just the same as in the knockout stages. Why does this happen year after year?

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
because European teams can defend and we havent replaced schmeichel

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Because the further you progress the tougher the opposition. It all comes down to not being good enough and not being able to keep possession. Think back to all the teams that have knocked us out in the last few years, Milan outplayed us, PORTO outplayed us, Real Madrid certainly outplayed us. Apart from a spirited return leg against the Galacticos at Old Trafford we really did not deserve to progress in any of them.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
We haven't had the rub of the green since '99, and we never properly replaced Schmeichell/Stam.

Take a look at last years competition, how close were we to beating Porto? They went through in the last minute of the game.

Being good isn't enough, you need that luck.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Simba said:
We haven't had the rub of the green since '99, and we never properly replaced Schmeichell/Stam.

Take a look at last years competition, how close were we to beating Porto? They went through in the last minute of the game.

Being good isn't enough, you need that luck.
We would of been through if scholes goal had been allowed.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
after 99, we went out on two occasions to the eventual winners. leverkusen was disappointing, porto we should have gone past, and we just lost to a superior and very classy AC milan side...

we need a bit of luck, a bit more concentration, and a world class keeper

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Utd don't have the strength in their side to cope with the top sides of europe.As I see it look at United's CL winning side of 99 it was very strong where as now it's just decent enough.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Maybe some of the players from the 98/99 squad should have been replaced directly after that season. Some new fresh blood in the team, some new faces, hungry for trophies. And I do not mean PL titles and FA-Cups.

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
OK, I will tell you the secret. It is because the European teams are organised and can defend properly, plus the fact they stick to the tactics and formation rigidly. Man Utd’s Kamikaze style is attractive, but will get us no-where in Europe. EPL style is that - the whole team attacks - they lose the ball - the other team go all attack - lose the ball, and so forth. I think you notice the pattern. The giants of Europe are not like Middlesbro, they will punish you, if you cannot keep possession of the ball.

Secondly it is because we don’t have a play maker, every team has one. Milan – Kaka, Rui Costa, Seedorf, Pirlo etc... Barcelona – Ronaldinho, Deco, Xavi etc… Juventus – Nedved, Del Piero etc… Bayern – Ballack, Deisler, Scholl etc… Chelsea – Lampard. Inter – Veron, Stankovic, Recoba. We are easier to defend against. :wallbang:

Do you spot the pattern, we don’t have a creative player in the middle and please don’t mention Scholes. The only player I would settle for would be ----> Pablo Aimar :thmbup:

I hope Fergie is reading my insightful comments and learns something :tongue:

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
One other thing is Alex Ferguson. How long has he been at the helm? TOO long in my opinion, over the years he has been in charge he has not made large changes tacticly and strategically. Most of the major teams have figured this out, which makes Man Utd in some way predictable.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
vedz said:
We're simply not good enough...

I agree....all in all it boils down to that. Rooney and ronaldo just didnt know wat to do during the game and were all over the place. We Need a world class keeper, and there is no 2 ways round that......

Roy Keane, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs are getting no ounger, and as good as they are, they will need replaceing, ab=nd not with cheap imports, but we're gonna need people at the top of their game who are internationally reognised as being world class (a phrase which, i think, is being thrown around too much)

But i think u guys are being a bit too harsh. Fergie said he is still building this team, and to be honest i'm surprised how good we're doing at the moment. At the start of the season, we had no hope whatsoever. I think with a couple of clever signings in the summer, we might have a semi-decent tem on our hands.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
vedz said:
We're simply not good enough...
exactly, obviously the competition is going to get harder as you progress and ManU just aren't good enough to get further like Chelsea or LIVERPOOL!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The main problem could be the midfield that we have. While Ronaldo and Rooney will only learn from this and develope even more, the likes of Scholes, Keano and Giggsy were hopelessly exposed against Milan. We need to get our hands on a world class Keeper as soon as possible to get this persistent problem solved once and for all. Then we need a midfield enforcer...a WORLD CLASS midfield enforcer who has the same attitude if not the aura of a 29 yr old Keano. The problem with united is that we are too lightweight in the middle and classy opponents find it pretty easy to play the passing game and control the tempo of the game from the middle of the park. This leaves the team chasing the ball for majority of the time and puts extra pressure on the fowards to come up trumps with the limited chances that they have. simply put, we need a quicker midfield central duo, who'd pass out the ball and stretch the play as soon as possible...ala...Keano-Scholes during the Treble season.

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
He has been building a team for a long time, no more excuses. Fergie needs to change the mentality of team. Plus I remember in Europe, we use to set the tempo of the game and play at a high tempo. Now - it depends on the opposition, we can kill Southampton but let Milan run the match.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As for defence, MU need one world class CB to play alongside Rio, and a worldclass goalkeeper.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts