Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It bothers me more and more that we can't seem to do anything at senior level nowadays but we always seem to do well at youth level.
Why can't we make the transition. We have failed to qualify for a World Cup in years and I think I would be happy if we made the Quarter Finals this year of Euro 2000.
Something needs to be done. Maybe even in Portugal there are too many foreigners, mainly Brazilians, and Africans from former Portuguese colonies. We neeed to male sure that these youth players improve and not spend all of their time on the bench.
I think there is lots of talent going to waste here and something needs to be done about it.

·
International
5,629 Posts
The answer is simple.
Although we have had the talent to qualify for the WC and win Euro, our nemesis however has always been poor coaching in the senior level.

We just don't have the Portuguese coaches that can handle the senior select team. Their tactics are dinosauric and ultra conservative, for the type of talent they have. Check out the Italy friendly to see what I'm talking about.

I think that the coaches have also been poor motivators...I mean how do you explain Azerbaijan. You can't always blame the players.

On the youth side it's easier to coach because the players are young and don't know better. On the senior side you are dealing with professional athletes who have better coaching in their own futebol clubs.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Maybe we should get a foreign coach for the seleccao. I mean, there must be lots of great coaches who would jump at the opportunity to manage Figo, Rui Costa, bla bla bla. Dont you think?

------------------
SEMPRE VIOLA!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would partly agree with that last post.
We dominated vs Italy abd we just lack a strong striker up front. We have too many flair players and not enough players who will cause problems to defenders in the air, etc... We need a Jardel or a Kluivert.

I don't think Pauleta and Sa Pinto will scare too many defenders, they will be watching Figo and Rui Costa instead!
SOS we need a striker

Nuno Gomes, Domingos should be selected in the Euro 2000 squad - they might just do it for us.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Well I guess you guys didn't see the Italy game like I saw it. I saw Portugal play with 2 trincos and I saw the Italian midfield dominate in the 1st half. Easily Italy created more scoring chances than Portugal. Granted Portugal came back in the 2nd half but that was thanks to Figo.
The tactics and strategy Portugal employed in that game were too damn conservative and they paid the price for it. If the coach plays the team like that in Euro you can forget about it. They got beat by a lousy Italian team.

I agree that we haven't had finishers, but our coaching has been terrible as well. How do you explain Azerbaijan, and certain other ties at home while they were trying to qualify for the WC. It's time to wake up, unless we get an Inacio or a Fernando Santos to coach this team...then we need to look somewhere else. But in the past the select team has failed because of poor coaching and poor finishing!

I agree Nuno Gomes should be our Striker paired with Sa Pinto. Nuno will be a superstar this summer...mark my words!

Viva Portugal!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If we just play attacking football, it doesnt really matter who is the coach. The Italy game must be remembered. We are the Brazil of Europe, so why play like defensive crap?????

------------------
SEMPRE VIOLA!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I think the answer is simpler than that. Most of Portugal's top players play abroad. When they're young they all play at home and are familiar with each other. It's hard to filed strong teams when your players are all over the place. I liken them to Uruguay. Uruguay has great individual players, but they all play far away from home. They rarely play together, except for matches. Because of that, their team lacks continuity. However, they have a great youth team like Portugal because they all play together and grow together. Continuity is especially important for offensive play since you need to knwo and feel where you teammates will be. That knowledge is hard to come by when you rarely train with each other.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Daeone but does ANY national team have players that train together at club level???
Look at France, they won the World Cup with players all over Europe

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If anything, our team know each other better than most other teams, since its a fairly close replica of the very squad that won the youth WC and has played many many matches together.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I would have to strongly disagree with a foreign coach as I think portuguese means portuguese and I wouldnt want some foreigner coaching our selecao.
Say we had appointed Robson come 12th June he would probably even want england to win if he was our coach.
But then again santamaria Im only 16 so what the hell would I know!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would add another factor: the organization. I believe that our selecções always had reasonably poor organized support. The Federação has provided a disorganized support to the players, and has allowed embarassing situations like in Mexico '86.

Anyway, I hope they improve it. And I think they are improving it.

NOTE: I don't think having many foreign players in our Liga affects the selecção's performance much. I mean, before the Bosman event the results weren't any brighter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts