Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example, at Inter, Javier Zanetti is 35 and plays every game, but he's never injured, whereas Patrick Vieira, our own glass man Robben, appears to have a 50% chance of getting injured per game (at least last season). So why is there such a disparity among injury rates for players?

Here are some possible factors - which ones are the most prevalent?

1. Individual physical constitution of the player
2. Technique and style used in contact play
3. Get injured "on purpose" by others due to reputation of the player
4. Actual extent of injuries distorted in the media as an excuse to keep out of favor players from playing
5. Unlucky freak injuries (Ronaldo's knee?)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The most overused players are almost always the least likely to get injured, but the causation isn't clear. Players like Lampard and Zanetti play every single game and are never injured.

I'm also surprised that propensity for injury does not factor as heavily into the valuation of a player as it should be.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Hiring a personal trainer for each player does the trick, hence Del Piero. ;)

·
Banned
3,390 Posts
Probably genetics. Some people are just prone to break bones etc in real life as well. And probably low pain tresholds as well. Players from South America , Spain, Italy and the likes have a far bigger tendency to get injured. Probably a cultural thing as they aren't thaught to be hard as **** as us, northerners.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
nice thread, as I m curious too.

There is another one.... the Home Stadium's Pitch

·
Registered
24,262 Posts
Genetics
Improper treatment/rehabilitation of prior injuries
Preparation

A

·
0 Posts
what about psychosomatic diseases? I imagine they spread out especially wide in some certain club's surroundings

·
Registered
752 Posts
Genetics.
Thats all that needs to be said really.I think it's a real shite question, like why is the sky blue.

Some injury's are caused by another player being careless or by playing on a very hard surface.But if your injury prone, thats it, your called injury prone because you get injured all the time, your gonna have to deal with it.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
A combination of uncontrollable and controllable factors.

Genetics play a role, but the professionalism of a player makes a massive difference as well. If you treat your body right, it will generally help you in the long run.

Take Zola as a prime example of that. Played until he was 40.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Genetis is a large part, now the muscle, ligaments and tendons are made up around the joints. I used to suffer a bit of Tendanitis but I spent years strengthening the Vastus Medialis and I am free. So you can do strengthening exercises which I suspect is often overlooked.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I don't know, but I can't get injured.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Genetis is a large part, now the muscle, ligaments and tendons are made up around the joints. I used to suffer a bit of Tendanitis but I spent years strengthening the Vastus Medialis and I am free. So you can do strengthening exercises which I suspect is often overlooked.
My mate who's a personal trainer goes on about footballers fitness and how they shouldn't get injured the way they do all the time. I can see his point, but I don't think he really appreciates that to be a top level football player you have to focus on the football more than the fitness, so they probably don't have time to do the shit he thinks they should be.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I mean obviously, no amount of professionalism is going to seriously help someone like Robben from getting injured.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Comes down to natural fitness really, and the aforementioned genetics.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Probably genetics. Some people are just prone to break bones etc in real life as well. And probably low pain tresholds as well. Players from South America , Spain, Italy and the likes have a far bigger tendency to get injured. Probably a cultural thing as they aren't thaught to be hard as **** as us, northerners.
Right now, with more than probably diplomatic repercusions, I'm sending the Pumas pack to make an scrum and throw the entire Belgium to the sea...on a second thought, I might send only oldie Pato Noriega, he will get the job done in ten minutes.

genetics, insuficient diets when young, healthy habits regarding food...lots of reasons

1 - 20 of 23 Posts