Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Corinthians demolish Cianorte last week when I wondering: aside from the money that MSI is laying out, why did top-flight players like Roger, Carlos Alberto and Gustavo Nery return to Brasil?

I am not sure if Roger ever got off the reserves bench in Sporting Lisbon - and maybe he missed Adrienne Galisteau too much! ;-)

Gustavo Nery was starting for Werder Bremen. But the big success of the three was Carlos Alberto. He was a main piece in Porto winning the Champions Leauge. You would think his next move would have been to a Serie A or Primera Liga powerhouse. What happened to him in Porto?

thanks - obrigadinha!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
A small correction... Roger was an eternal reserve at Benfica, not Sporting. ;)

And IMO it was Roger's stubborn refusal to participate in his team's defensive efforts that stopped his European career from advancing. He was used to the "free role" he had in Brasil, and never adapted to the European demand for tactical commitment. But he didn't expect that Corinthians would sign a foreign coach who made that same demand, and that led to some conflicts between Roger and Passarella when the coach benched him. Roger's talent is undeniable, but he never understood the value of giving an extra effort for his team, and that has always limited his value as a professional. So it's not really surprising that he returned as soon as someone was able to match the $$$ he received in Portugal.

In my opinion, Gustavo Nery returned with the NT in mind. He knows that the spot of reserve leftback is wide open and that Parreira likes his style; so returning to Brasil greatly increased his chances of going to the 2006 WC (if the WC was today, I think he would be Parreira's choice). And since Corinthians matched the wages he got in Werder Bremen, he wasn't really losing anything.

Carlos Alberto's decision to return was probably the most surprising... he was doing well in Porto, adapting well to the tactical obligations he found there, and he was already attracting interest from other Euro leagues. Maybe he had the NT in mind as well (small as his chances are), maybe he wanted the chance to be really successful in his homeland before returning to Europe. But I suspect that the only thing that attracted Carlos Alberto to European football in the first place was the money, and as soon as a Brazilian team offered a similar amount he immediately chose to play in his own country. :greed:

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Gustavo is another victim of irrational move to europe, the famous I will get the money quickly now and hahaha. And they forget they are going to pay for more 10 years, will have to still work hard,etc.
Roger was a victim of that but the case is simple: Roger plays more in the media that he plays in the field. His status is much higher that his real football achivements so far, helps being a former Rio's Darling and now a Corinthians's darling. Somehow also knew as Arthison's syndrome. Roger is a good player but he is so far a very inferior version of Djalminha. But he does not seem to know it.
Carlos Alberto had problems with the new coach also. He is a bit arrogant, seemed with Mourinho to find a real place, etc. When Mourinho left he had problems with the new coach.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
A different theory for gustavo nery: he is one of the most stupid players (off-the-field) I have seen in recent years - he barely can speak Portuguese... what the hell can he do in Bremen?!? Learn Deutsch???

if u doubt it, jus tlisten to any interview with him - he gotta be an IQ of 80...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
football players aren't USUALLY known for their intelligence. it's easier to single out the ones who are smart.. tostão, socrates, falcão..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Fabio Manic said:
football players aren't USUALLY known for their intelligence. it's easier to single out the ones who are smart.. tostão, socrates, falcão..
I guess 90% are just average intelligence, not different from soccer fans.

A few have superior intelligence, I guess most of those end up coaches...

Some 5% are below the curve, Gustavo Nery is one of them, if you hear his interviews you will know that!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
roberto carlos has produced some nice interviews too, creating some brilliant new vocabulary. :howler:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Fabio Manic said:
football players aren't USUALLY known for their intelligence.
May be in Gremio :howler: ,but seriously you can't generalise ,some of the blames should go to their agents and the clubs they played in Brasil,also need for money.Not every player from a poor backgorund are dumb.

·
Registered
564 Posts
carlos alberto he is an excellent player...
i don't think he will spent a lot of time with corinthians..
he must return to europe quickly..
he deserves :thumbsup:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Alberto lacks tactical awareness n that is why he left! :shades: Ge is talented...but boy...that brotha needs to read a book....how to play sawker for dummies

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Roger was lazy and never gave his 100% effort :nono:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
RIVALDO10 said:
carlos alberto he is an excellent player...
i don't think he will spent a lot of time with corinthians..
he must return to europe quickly..
he deserves :thumbsup:
You seem to imply that playing in Europe is superior or better than playing for Corinthians... Well, that might be true if you are referring to the 8 or 10 top teams from Europe, but definitively not true if you are outside that narrow elite group.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordon
You seem to imply that playing in Europe is superior or better than playing for Corinthians... Well, that might be true if you are referring to the 8 or 10 top teams from Europe, but definitively not true if you are outside that narrow elite group.
I´m with U on this Bordon

Carlos Alberto
a very gifted player with ball at his feet
has some maturing to do, as said earlier concerning tactical skills
was partly used as second forward needing to improve sharpness in front of goal
more successfully used more as winger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts