Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the kind of money they have, they could have chosen any team in Brasil or Argentina to take over. So why did they choose Corinthians?

I can see the advantages that Corinthians offer: it is the second largest team in the country behind Flamengo, they are located in the largest city and play their matches in two large stadiums. Also, futbol in better organized (in relative terms!) :) in SP that, say, Rio.

Still, why didn't MSI select teams that are better organized, like Sao Paulo, Cruzeiro, Palmeiras, Santos or Internacional-RS?

With SPFC they could have had a team going straight into the Copa Libertadores with a squad more or less in place. Imagine SPFC with the signings that Corinthinans brought in? Inter and Cruzeiro have infrastructures comparable to European teams (stadiums, training facilities etc). I'm no supporter of Palmeiras, and they did get relegated two years ago, but they came right back up and are now in the Libertadores, plus they announced that they are going to renovate Parque Antartica (or Palestra Italiana or whatever they call it!) by closing off the open end of the horsehoe with another arquibancada.

Flamengo might have seem the most logical choice - biggest club with an international projection (not sure how well know Timao is outside Brasil). But I imagine that Flamengo is such a complete anarchy that no one in their right mind would invest in it.

I suspect that Corinthinans internal politcs is like something right out of the Sopranos, and this would give MSI room to manuver, whereas the leadership in the above named clubs is at least solidified enough that a even a consortia with a lot of money like MSI just could not simply cruise in a take over. But a club like Corinthians is, no offense to Corinthianos, tailor made for all sorts of back room "manuvers".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe because MSI likes to lose.....

Maybe afterwards, they will sign with CIANORTE....

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
The reasons are simple: Biggest team of the richest state of Brazil. Cruzeiro and Inter(no so organized) are out of the media, Flamengo is there but it is a chaos and Sao Paulo would probally need them less than Corinthians and that would make a harder deal. Palmeiras probally would not make much difference, so Corinthians popularity would rule them out and Santos is not in Sao Paulo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They have to invest in someone...and they chose corinthias...

·
Merengue Argentino
2,078 Posts
So did they end up getting Javier Mascherano or not?

I hope not because he is a player that would work perfectly into our system at Real Madrid.

I hope to see Carlitos step it up soon for Corinthians

1 - 6 of 6 Posts