Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was Owen Hargreaves reason to play for England? I know he was cut by the U16 canadian team, but was later wanted badly by the senior NT coach. Was it bayern that influenced him to play for England? I know he had parents that were both welsh and english, but is there any other reason ?

tahnks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Because Canada suck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
he wants glory so he came to England, the best footballing country for the next ten years!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
because they asked him, shame really, we have better midfielders and he continually gets picked in the squad.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
The better question is why Ryan Giggs decided to play for Wales. :D When he retires, I bet it ain't to the vallies.

As for Owen, he says he has dreamed of playing in the premiership someday and looks likely to move every season but it never comes off for some reason. Underrated player actually and good to have in a squad. As Jern says though, there are better.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
'Why did Hargreaves choose to play for England??????'

it's a question i ask myself everytime he comes on for us :depress:

plus the reason giggs played for wales was because he had no choice, not an english bone in his body.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Why do we choose Hargreaves?

He could have played for England, Wales, Germany or Canada, but chose us. Germany wanted him. Why didn't we let them have him to balance out the hartbreak of EUro 96 somewhat?

~ The Green :(ne

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
One simple reason. He would have gone now where here in Canada. This country is
living in the dark ages when it comes to football or "soccer". Many Canadians are still bitter of his decision cause he would have been a decent player for us, but I don't knock him for it. He did what was best for his career.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Speaking of players choosing England possibly, why did born and risen Englishman Simone Perrotta choose to play for Italy. Its not like being born and then moving to the country as a baby, this guy grew up here. Surely thats English enough, despite the name?

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
DavidSilk24 said:
'Why did Hargreaves choose to play for England??????'

it's a question i ask myself everytime he comes on for us :depress:

plus the reason giggs played for wales was because he had no choice, not an english bone in his body.
But he has played for England. ;) C'mon though, I have more of a welsh accent than him. Pretty sure he didn't learn his football in wales and certainly didn't develop there either. Maybe he wanted to be a big fish in a small pond. Anyway, too late now. Maybe we can steal Cudicini away from the Italians. Its amazing he hasn't played played for them.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Marc said:
But he has played for England. ;) C'mon though, I have more of a welsh accent than him. Pretty sure he didn't learn his football in wales and certainly didn't develop there either. Maybe he wanted to be a big fish in a small pond. Anyway, too late now. Maybe we can steal Cudicini away from the Italians. Its amazing he hasn't played played for them.
Giggs is a one game a season man neway. and always seems to have a sickie when a wales game comes up. Plus cudicini/stefan klos goalkeeper partnership much better than calamity, robinson, the so called world class kirkland and that bumpkin green

·
Banned
343 Posts
Sounds logical to me. Canad is nothing when it comes to soccer, whereas England is usually a good team. Does not take a genious to know this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts