Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was World Player of the Year in 1996 and 1997,he was playing brilliantly for FC Barcelona,so why did FC Barcelona sell him to Inter in 1997?

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barca 4 Life said:
I believe Inter payed the buy-out clause.
The buy-out clause was only 48million dollars?!I think his buy-out clause is at least three times bigger now.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i think joining inter was the biggest mistake ronaldo made. in fact, it was probably just about the biggest mistake inter made as well.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Inter bought out the contract and offered Ronaldo double his considerable salary at the time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It was not a good thing,not for Ronaldo and specialy not for Inter.
But it football!

·
Registered
168 Posts
no no no.

Ronaldo's 4 (!) agents requested Nuniez to extend the conract of the striker after his performance on march. nuniez decided to wait until the end of the season, and the agents quickly moved to Moratti and closed the deal with him. Barca were embaressed and had to accept the money for the player. The cup winners cup match was his final match.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
We did not sell Ronaldo, his agents convinced him to leave and they paid the buyout clause. Maybe Nuñez could have acted in a different way, but Ronaldo is just one of the worst mercenaries on Earth, he just broke the negotiations in 2 days. As you know, the agents get paid by comission in transfers. These people just wanted to earn money and Ronaldo gave a step back in his career.

Inter got paid with the same coin, I'm not going to say that I'm happy to see in Madrid, but definitely I'm not sad for Inter, because they got what they deserved. Real Madrid acted with them as they did with us. They paid Ronaldo during his 2 years of injury and when he recovered, he left. I'm sorry Inter, but you got what you deserved. They can't complain.

In any case, Ronaldo has never been the same after the injuries. He's a great player, one of the best, but he's not the one of the 96/97 season. That's for sure. That year he scored 34 goals in Liga, he has never been near of this amount after the injuries.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Koeman4 said:
That year he scored 34 goals in Liga, he has never been near of this amount after the injuries.
The Spanish Leauge is much stronger nowadays . I used to think that Ronaldo hsd dropped his form a lot from the days he was playing for Barcelona. But I am not sure anymore. Surely those slaloms from the half way line are a thing of the past, but he has added some things to his game: the ability to score taps-in or even some headers. Obviously the most espectacular, eye catching Ronaldo was the one we saw at Barcelona, but the best? Perhaps yes but maybe by not much. Remember his production in the last World Cup.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
About the Ronaldo affaire. I wouldn't put all the blame on the money grabber agents he had, but also on the player. Whatever the proposals if the players doesn't want a move he won't move. And let's not forget that Ronaldo was doubling his wages. Unfortunately for him he doubled his unhappiness too at Inter, playing in a defensive team, in a defensive league, and not getting half the adulation he recieved at Barcelona. Barcelona came losers two, cause with Ronaldo in the side, the chances of silverware would have been better. Paradoxiaclly , VG the only coach who has brought silvelware in recent years never wanted Ronaldo. Football is complicated, isn't it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Actual "Donaldo's" fortune is about 100 million€.
How to get this? ... I'm in here now ... going there now ... I'm in there again ... going out over there.
And so on ... In/Out-process always making € or $. No matter the currency.

Playing for poverty games ... in between.
Come on!
:stuckup: :stuckup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
Football is complicated, isn't it?

You're all right. And that quote above pretty much sums it all up.

Also, it was only a few years after the Bosman ruling and people didn't have the experience, guile, or patience to work these things out for the best of everyone's interests. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this has happened a lot less since precisely because of what you all point out: it was an absolute disaster of a decision.

Hmmm, though he got super-rich, his agents got super rich, Moratti is still super rich.

Football sucks in that way.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Half way slaloms are a thing of the past i agree with you but Ronaldo cant even take on 1 player at the edge of the box sometimes!!! he's way down on dribbling skill and he has come to rush his shot more and more when before he used to dribble the goalie easily...

the Liga may be a lil different but this Ronaldo is very very less than the old one

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I remember that ronaldo cried before leaving barcelona he's an actor ! lol

He was young and his mafiosi agents understood how to make money just by transfer him where they want :greed: . Inter pay his buy-out clause, in Sanz times it could be real madrid. So no matter that Inter paid him. In 97 when he left we bought excellent players Rivaldo and Sonny Anderson, the 2nd one did not have luck because of Van Gaal who obliged him in his first year to play defensive midfield shame on him !
Sonny is one of very good brazilians strikers he has skills. In his 2nd year he was more effective in Champions League, the gun move his way to celebrate his goals ! :party:

Also we did Rivaldo, I can't forget him, he was amazing !

Now the buy-out clause are incredible, just look Raul or Ronaldinho ones. Abramovich or others always can sign players, but some players rare players have love for the shirt and nowsadays it is an honor to have players like that in football, almost in Barcelona. :smileani:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts