Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the recent form, i cannot understand why did cassano get the called up instead of Del Piero?

·
Registered
46,398 Posts
This one could be a good question if the CT was not Lippi. I mean: I don't think that Lippi has motivations different from physical for leaving Del Piero home. Maybe he did not see him so well as you see him. Maybe he simply wants to give Cassano, who is the future, "the chance" without a Del Piero around. For sure Lippi appreciates Del Piero so I would not exaggerate the episode the way some journalists did.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Honestly that's the thing that makes me mad about Del Piero and his fans!!
He's playing really bad for years but he gets called and everything is fine, but now that he scored a goal against Brescia and Lippi didn't called him it's a scandal??!! Hoenstly he didn't deserve it that's a fact. Cassano is surely a better player and you can't compare those players cuz otherwise you have to compare Roma's situation with Juve's.
I don't understand this discussion!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Trap was leaving him on the bench, Capello is leaving him on the bench and now lippi is not calling him up? :dazed:

These so called coaches have no idea about football :sigh: :wallbang:

:D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Because Cassano scored as many goals in 3 appearances (and about 2 hours) at Euro 2004, than Del Piero has in all of the 5 major tournaments he's let Italy down at, put together.

Bottom line: Cassano is young and potentially has a lot to offer the National Team. Del Piero, on the other hand is 30, and has been a consistent and spectacular failure for Italy over the last decade and should no longer be considered for any reason, regardless of form. end of story.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Totti was a spectacular and disgraceful failure in euro 2004, why has he been called up?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Nero said:
Totti was a spectacular and disgraceful failure in euro 2004, why has he been called up?
he was, but Del Piero was even worse. if you don't rate Totti then you'll have to agree that at least spitting on Poulsen, although shameful, never really damaged Italy's chances in any way, since he was suspended after the Denmark match. Del Piero, however, played 3 matches and never looked even remotely dangerous.

They were both equally mediocre at the last world cup, too, but at least Totti was important for Italy at Euro 2000. Del Piero was quite simply a disgrace. he scored a great goal that didn't count for $hit against Sweden, but then when it mattered missed 2 absolute f*#%^g sitters against France, which cost us the tournament. i probably would have scored at least one of them myself.

don't forget though, before this, when Totti had never even been considered, Del Piero had already destroyed Italy at the world cup in '98. how did he keep Baggio out of the side :rolleyes: . he played most of the France game even though Pagliuca looked more likely to score for Italy. the French should be very grateful to Del Piero for their successes over the last 7 years :yuck:

When it comes to letting Italy down, Totti is a complete amateur compared with :star: Del Piero:star:......... :yuck:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Vagabondo said:
he was, but Del Piero was even worse. if you don't rate Totti then you'll have to agree that at least spitting on Poulsen, although shameful, never really damaged Italy's chances in any way, since he was suspended after the Denmark match.
Trappatoni's team was built around Totti. So by foolishly getting himself suspended he jeaprodized Italy's entire campaign you biased and unfair idiot. Add to that the damage he did to the image of Italian football by not only spitting on Poulson like a backstreet alley gangster but also attempting a possible career ending tackle on the Danish player, for which he unjustly got off with just a yellow card. And everyone before that was claiming how Totti was going to set the tournament on fire. You make it sound as though what he did was minor.

Vagabondo said:
Del Piero, however, played 3 matches and never looked even remotely dangerous.
What an ignorant thing to say. Italy played very average against Denmark mainly due to the clown Totti creating nothing and Vieri forgetting how to jump for headers, but still if you go back to the footage you will find that Italy's most dangerous chance came from a Del Piero powerful strike that would have been the game winner if it weren't for that Danish keeper setting his mind on a man of the match performance.

In the next two matches,Del Piero was much more dangerous than Cassano at times and as dangerous at others even if the latter was able to score. I'm not even going to defend his performances in these two games. At Euro 2004, Italy's failure was down to Trappatoni,Totti, and Vieri in this order.

Vagabondo said:
They were both equally mediocre at the last world cup, too
Totti was mediocre in the WC2002. Del Piero was used as a sub in three games, coming on in the final 15 minutes and still managed to spare Italy the shame of qualifying to the next round with 2 losses and a meager 3 points.

[/quote=Vagabondo] but at least Totti was important for Italy at Euro 2000. Del Piero was quite simply a disgrace. he scored a great goal that didn't count for $hit against Sweden, but then when it mattered missed 2 absolute f*#%^g sitters against France, which cost us the tournament. i probably would have scored at least one of them myself.[/quote]

Again you forget that in most games Del Piero was used as a sub in Euro 2000. You compare him to Totti with the latter getting to start and the former coming on in the final 15 minutes. Still Del Piero managed to notch an assist and a wonderful goal when he got to start against Sweden. Totti's contribution, which was down to his two goals, could also be considered as insignificant going by your logic as Italy went on to win both games he scored in by 2 goals to none. Yes, Del Piero blew two very good chances against France. But putting the entire blame on him is just nonsense. His two misses didn't end up in Italy losing 2-1, it was the Italian defense that did.They were supposed to hold the pressure for the remaining minute but they didn't..... it's their fault too that they let in 2 goals in the space of 10 minutes at such a crucial stage.

Funny how Vieri missed an open goal opportunity against Korea two years later, but was never blamed for Italy's exit (and the score was 1-1 at the time so his goal would have a golden goal, whereas Italy were up 1-0 when Del Piero missed in the Euros) ???

Vagabondo said:
don't forget though, before this, when Totti had never even been considered, Del Piero had already destroyed Italy at the world cup in '98. how did he keep Baggio out of the side . he played most of the France game even though Pagliuca looked more likely to score for Italy. the French should be very grateful to Del Piero for their successes over the last 7 years
Totti wasn't even considered for the 98 World cup because he didn't deserve it, even though he was moving in on 23 years....so don't make it sound as though it was unjust.

And again you fail to remember the fact that Del Piero got injured just before the tournament, and the fact that he shared the starting role with Baggio. The only bad game Del Piero had was against France and people make it out like he destroyed Italy, but I also remember Baggio missing a clear volley on goal in the dying minutes...I don't see you bringing that up?

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
kthx said:
In the next two matches,Del Piero was much more dangerous than Cassano at times and as dangerous at others even if the latter was able to score. I'm not even going to defend his performances in these two games. At Euro 2004, Italy's failure was down to Trappatoni,Totti, and Vieri in this order.
veeeery thin ice.. Cassano scored decisive goals, Del Piero did not.

kthx said:
Totti was mediocre in the WC2002. Del Piero was used as a sub in three games, coming on in the final 15 minutes and still managed to spare Italy the shame of qualifying to the next round with 2 losses and a meager 3 points.
Indeed, it would be quite ridiculous to try and blame the WC2002 on Del Piero. So instead of blaming it on Totti or Vieri or indeed why not the whole team (it's a team sport, is it not?), many found it convenient to blame it all on a referee.

kthx said:
But putting the entire blame on him is just nonsense. His two misses didn't end up in Italy losing 2-1, it was the Italian defense that did.They were supposed to hold the pressure for the remaining minute but they didn't..... it's their fault too that they let in 2 goals in the space of 10 minutes at such a crucial stage.
Yes but why blame the whole team (did someone mention team sport?) when you can have just one scapegoat, that makes it much easier.

kthx said:
Funny how Vieri missed an open goal opportunity against Korea two years later, but was never blamed for Italy's exit (and the score was 1-1 at the time so his goal would have a golden goal, whereas Italy were up 1-0 when Del Piero missed in the Euros) ???
Quite hilarious if you ask me. Unfortunately the joke is lost on some people..

kthx said:
Totti wasn't even considered for the 98 World cup because he didn't deserve it, even though he was moving in on 23 years....so don't make it sound as though it was unjust.
That's quite beside the point. Italy did not lose in 98 because of Del Piero. They lost when Di Biagio missed that penalty. Up until that point, neither Del Piero NOR Baggio sent Italy ahead.

kthx said:
And again you fail to remember the fact that Del Piero got injured just before the tournament, and the fact that he shared the starting role with Baggio. The only bad game Del Piero had was against France and people make it out like he destroyed Italy, but I also remember Baggio missing a clear volley on goal in the dying minutes...I don't see you bringing that up?
I disagree, Del Piero hardly had a good game out of the 3 he played. Against Norway he had 3 good chances to score but didn't.

And in all fairness, Baggio's volley was a very difficult shot to make.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What I do remember of Euro2004 is that two creative players (DP and Cassano) who never had played together before rocked the field. Especially against Sweden it was a lust for the eye how the roamed on the field and felt instinctively where the other would be or run.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Who gives a shit ? Del Piero always got Italy to the competitons by scoring so many goals, then in the comps he wasn't given credit, and was used as a scapegoat by so many stupid people... Italy doesn't deserve Del Piero. They never played the way they should have, given him confidence and space for his creativity. He shouldn't even agree to play if they convoke him. Atleast not now. Lippi will call him up for the WC, no reason to waste energy on a match against Scotland. Del Piero said it's not a problem for him not to be called up. It's not a problem for me too.

Honestly, who cares.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Thanks Toni... indeed, Del Piero is just too good to waste himself on a team that doesn't know to appreciate him. :stuckup:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Del Piero hasn't been called up despite his reasonably good form because Cassano is the future and likely to be a much better player than Del Piero in two years time. I hope however Del Piero continues with his improving performances and starts to be an addition to the Juventus team rather than a dead weight. Lately he has been doing some good things against Reggina he actually beat a guy albeit a forward with a splendid move, hit the post with a wonderful shot and he scored with a very good shot. It is good to see.

Personally I don't think that Cassano, or Totti have done enough to warrant a call up to the National Team. Their performces have been less than what is expected and needed from them. But they are called for their obvious talent and perhaps they will light it up against Scotland. Italy also don't have many alternatives for their creative role so them being called up is not really a travesty despite Del Piero's good performances of late.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Honestly, i understand lippi, the end is near for dp :) Cassano has a huge future ahead of him, now he should move to a bigger team..i prefer Juve ;)..and i doubt DP will be selected for the nt when cassano joins juve, cassano would play alex out of the team especially with cap :)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts