Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard Delije is called Gypsy. I don`t know the reason.
So why Delije is called Gypsy?
Does that come from a word Delije?
or does it come from anything else?

and also I like to know what`s Delije means.
I like to know its linguistic meaning.

Thank you for help me and appreciate your help.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The origin of the nickname is from Croatia. Croats use the Word "gypsy" as a prejorative for Serbians. In the pre WW-2 Yugoslavia, it was customarry, especially when Belgrade clubs (BSK and SK Yugoslavia) visited Hajduk Split, to hear a chorus of mockery shouts: "Gypsies, gypsies, go back to Serbia."

After the WW2, under Tito, it was strictly forbidden to have public expressions of national and racial haterage. Nevertheless, by the mid 60s, the habbit was back to Croatian stadiums, especially during games with Red Star. Since RS was considered in Croatia as a symbol of Serbian football and Serbian sport in general, and since Red Star supporters were cultivating such an image, the anti-Serbian feelings in Croatia were reserved primarily for RS. (There were sporadic outbursts of gypsy-calling during games vs. OFK Beograd, Partizan and other Serbian clubs, but much less frequent.)

Since most Serbians were not aware why Croats called RS gypsies (Serbians believed that everyone in Yugoslavia either liked them or feared them to call them bad names), fans from other clubs in Serbia, especially Partizan fans, calld them gypsies with the insult in mind. Finally, even RS fans "took pride" of calling themselves gypsies. That is the sad story of the gypsy name that nowdays sport RS fans. I wander would they call themselves a**holes if originally the Croats used that name instead of gypsy.

Delija is a Turkish word for a cavalry man, I think, but it is commonly used to indicate a young, brave, strong, ready-to-fight man.

·
International
6,519 Posts
Ben Akiba:

Maybe you could explain me the meaning of GYPSY po srpski ? :D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Actually. I heard that, the "Grobari" (Partizan fans) started calling Zvezda fans "cigani" (gypsies) back in the 60's. As the story goes, before a scheduled league match between Partizan and Red Star there was suppose to be a moment of silence for a (ex?)Partizan player who had just recently passed away (or died in an accident - sorry don't know those details). Anyway, the Red Star fans wouldn't stay quite and they kept whistling, jeering, chanting and singing and from then on they were given the name "Gypsies" because only gypsies sing at the funerals and only they would show such disrespect to a dead person.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
To SSLazio11:

The word for Gypsy in Serbian (or Croatian) is Ciganin. Unfortuantely, it is used as a racial slur, as for example words Nig**r, Yid, or Spick.

To Pandur:

You have it wrong. Since I was regularly following and watching football games since 1959, I can tell you a bit more about the origin of the nicknames. The name Grobar (Gravde-diggers) was invented by Red Star fans to mock Partzan's new team colours, black-and-white shirts, black pants and black socks; grave-diggers usually wear black. At each game between the RS and Paruzan, the RS fans would keep shouthing their mocking chant:

"Crno-beli grobari,
Sad ste bostan obrali."

It is hard to translate this into English, but roughly it's something like: "You black-and-white grave-diggers/ You're in a deep s**t." After many years, Partizan fans accepted this mockery as their trade-mark name, similar to RS fans endearing the name "Gypsies".

Back to the origin of the Partizan's black-and-white uniforms. During 1940s and 1950s, Partizan's colours were not clearly defined, but mostly they wore blue shirts. When general Tudjman (the late Croatian President) become the president of the Partizan Football Club in 50s/60s (Partizan was officially the club of the Yugoslav Army, so generals were usually club presidents), he took a personal initiative to change team clors to black-and-white.

You are right about one thing, that there were three Partizan players that were killed in a car accident in early 60s. One of them was Bruno Belin, an older brother of a player who later became famous in Dinamo Zagreb. His name was Rudolf Belin. Rudi played for the Dinamo's generation that won the UEFA Cup (then Fair City Cup) in the final games vs. Leeds Utd.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Pandur, I do not like pontificating, but your stereotype regarding Gypsy people ("only them showing disrespect during funerals") is not appreciated.

·
International
6,519 Posts
Thanks Ben... :D:D

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Your point is well taken. I'm sure you're aware that many other Christian and non-Christian people also sing songs and pasalms during funeral in order to honor their dead, not to disrespect them. The fact that the Serbs do not sing, does not mean that singing is not appropriate. Depends on the culture and tradition.

·
Registered
731 Posts
i will go a bit of the topic
i believe word delije came when ARKAN founded kick-box club and it was stupid to call it crvena zvezda cigani so he called it crvena zvezda delije....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since you are living witness of the area, you should know much better when and how and why Partizan switched from 'red-blue' (which were the colors of the Partisan's army movement) to black-white that are main colors for Partizan today. In January of 1959 FK Partizan played a tournament in Italy together with Milan, Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Juventus, Roma, Rapid Vienna and Parigi, where FK Partizan won the 2nd place behind AC Milan. FK Partizan received a complete set of uniforms from Juventus for the entire squad. Those were not the days of 'framing jerseys' to put on a wall and since this was only the second set the club had after return to Yugoslavia they started using them as 'away jerseys' which were received phenomenally by all the media and fans in Yugoslavia, first of all because they were colors of already famous club Juventus, they were unique and still are very rare and maybe most importantly because FK Partizan for the first time had branded they jerseys and be recognized as unique since pretty much all other clubs in Yugoslavia were sporting red, blue or combination of those colors with white. Starting the Spring season of 1959 FK Partizan started using them more and more and in the following season (1960) they were first time introduced as 'home colors' and resulted in redesign of the emblem as well. Stories that Partizan is black-white because of Chetnik flag as anticommunist move (white skull on black background) and Red Star is red-white because of Croatian checkered red-white emblem is not true although it's been circulated around as such.
More supporting info here: FK PARTIZAN Beograd » Kada smo ta?no postali crno-beli?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts