·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I read that article today as well.
For a country that loves football as much as it does and has such a great passion and overall understanding of what good football is and looks like, this is a very complex and worrisome question to answer.

I have NO IDEA!! LOL

·
Registered
196 Posts
1.) The huge amount of Scottish coaches in the English game. They learn from the best but because of snobbery of the FA, they won't send its coaches north of the border.
2.) Football is a world game and it's much easier to import an experience and succesful manager rather than have faith in an inexperienced manager.
3.) too much money in english football which makes it even easier to get the worlds best coaches.
4.) the FA headquarters is not in the heartland of English football. Which is the Northwest of England. Its a very snobby organization because it's in London and when it comes to sports Londoners haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Which brazilian and argie managers are there plying their trade at top clubs? By that I mean in Europe.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marc said:
Which brazilian and argie managers are there plying their trade at top clubs? By that I mean in Europe.
unlike the english managers, brazilians and argie managers coach the top clubs of their country's leagues. and their respective national teams.

Germany have never had a foreign coach for the NT.
that's what i meant, germany and the other elites except for england, have never had a foreign coach.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
ampersand said:
unlike the english managers, brazilians and argie managers coach the top clubs of their country's leagues. and their respective national teams.
Their countries leagues have very little money compared to the top leagues however, so they would of course like all your players migrate over to here... if they were any good? But they don't. Whereas our leagues can afford to attract the best managers.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Marc said:
this is where the problem lies, we have a problem but instead of discussing it or solving it we begin to look at others and such. not singling you out or anything marc, but its apparent the level of english managers in the current climate is extremely poor. not a single good tactician or coach.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
arfy05 said:
this is where the problem lies, we have a problem but instead of discussing it or solving it we begin to look at others and such. not singling you out or anything marc, but its apparent the level of english managers in the current climate is extremely poor. not a single good tactician or coach.
It has a lot to do with the fact that owners or chairmen want instant success. It's no coincidence that the two most successful sides in the Premiership have the two longest serving managers.

I'm sure there is a diamond in the dirt somewhere when it comes to English managers but clubs would rather not gamble on them. Too much money is at stake especially with the top clubs.

David Moyes is a good example of a manager who did great at a lower league club, Everton picked him up and look at them right now.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
arfy05 said:
Not really, I never rejected a problem, I rejected the original post of this thread which involved countries with managers not worth noting. And we could have great managers, they'd still inferior to Capello. They would also likely be inferior to the top managers in the EPL.

I don't think you find too many saying English managers are in a good state.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I wouldn't say English coaches are the problem, they're swimming against the tide. By then the kids already think of kick and rush when the play. Their parents encourage them to get the ball forward, and junior teams' managers are all about results rather than peformances and development. I cannot remember where it is, possibly Italy, but kids do not even play competitive games until they're 11, and do not use formations or positions until that age so they become comfortable on the ball. English clubs are starting to adpot something similar (I know City already are, plus Simon Clifford's Brazilian soccer school in Leeds) but it will obviously take a while to see the results. The problem is this problem will not stay in people's minds, they'll move onto "why do we need a foreign manager" next time we play badly. We need to be patient.

·
Registered
15,730 Posts
Getting a coaching badge in England isnt near the same thing as in other countries. Granted, the situation has improved, but years of arrogance, naivety, just generally being backwards has created a situation which will take a long time improve to any great level. If you had to single the blame on one particular fella, blame Charles Hughes.

There's more to it than that but that'll do for now.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I have a coaching license. :D

Anyway I've just got back from football, and its systematic of the English problem. I play in goal, and our players just knock the ball forward all the time, afraid to be patient and come back with the ball. When I play outfield I am able to at least slow us down and give us some discipline. We defend just as badly. We were one man down and the other players were only interested in chasing the ball out. The opposition just stroked it from left to right, working us across a wide five a side pitch. We should have waited for them to come and only pressured them when they attacked. Instead one man chased up, allowing them to pass it to the spare man and get beyond our defenders. It was agonising to watch from my goal. I screamed at one lad for chasing, he should know to pivot between two so he can attack them both. It was outrageous, terrible stuff. The worst thing was the lads didn't even realise what was happening, putting it down to "them having the extra man". They were so indisciplined in defence, and attack that was why we lost.

·
Registered
15,730 Posts
The Green One said:
I have a coaching license. :D.
Congrats. :tongue:

The Green One said:
Anyway I've just got back from football, and its systematic of the English problem. I play in goal, and our players just knock the ball forward all the time, afraid to be patient and come back with the ball. When I play outfield I am able to at least slow us down and give us some discipline. We defend just as badly. We were one man down and the other players were only interested in chasing the ball out. The opposition just stroked it from left to right, working us across a wide five a side pitch. We should have waited for them to come and only pressured them when they attacked. Instead one man chased up, allowing them to pass it to the spare man and get beyond our defenders. It was agonising to watch from my goal. I screamed at one lad for chasing, he should know to pivot between two so he can attack them both. It was outrageous, terrible stuff. The worst thing was the lads didn't even realise what was happening, putting it down to "them having the extra man". They were so indisciplined in defence, and attack that was why we lost.
My 2 years of playing in a 5-a-side football league, summed up in a paragraph (apart from I wasnt a keeper).

·
Registered
891 Posts
DeJackal said:
4.) the FA headquarters is not in the heartland of English football. Which is the Northwest of England. Its a very snobby organization because it's in London and when it comes to sports Londoners haven't got a clue.
Sorry but I just can't see how thats a valid point. So if the FA was up North there wouldn't be as many problems as they have now ?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Rodriguez said:
Congrats. :tongue:

My 2 years of playing in a 5-a-side football league, summed up in a paragraph (apart from I wasnt a keeper).
The funny thing is I have to pay 10GBP if I want to renew it. No thanks, the FA Should be encouraging people to stay in coaching, not turning it into a cash cow.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Oh and I play on Thursdays, where we play on narrower pitches, but with a different team who make good use of the ball instead. Much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
It has a lot to do with the fact that owners or chairmen want instant success. It's no coincidence that the two most successful sides in the Premiership have the two longest serving managers.
I think it's more a case of success breeds stability rather than the other way round. I agree about there being some good managers out there though, but everytime a top job comes up though they always want a manager "proven at the highest level". Aidy Boothroyd is one I would pick as being good for somewhere like Newcastle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts