Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Ronaldo on the other hand is statistically the most popular human alive. Even more popular than Coca Cola, which is crazy!

·
Registered
44,351 Posts
Ronaldo on the other hand is statistically the most popular human alive. Even more popular than Coca Cola, which is crazy!
Bots and fanbabies.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
This Copa América is particularly deflated. There's been too many of them in a short time (and they'll keep at it unless Colombia actually withdraw from the next one as their president just threatened to do), this is a post WC one, Brazil is going though tough times in football and generally so I guess not a ton of enthusiasm to see two foreign teams, people from many other countries have already gone to Brazil during the WC so some of that attractive is lost, there are two Asian teams playing...

·
Greta joke sharer
23,276 Posts
Hm, that reminds me of this video where a Coca-Cola fanboy ranks different brands of colas. To his surprise Coca-Cola was among his least favorite.

I wonder if Ronaldo fanboys, if subjected to a blind test, would also find the target of their devotion to be subpar.

Please watch this and imagine that it is Ronaldo. I think you'll be surprised to find that this version is infinitely better and more pleasant to watch.

"He who does not love Recoba does not love football" ~ Jesus, circa 29 AD

P.S. My apologies for the terrible music, but that is apparently mandatory for football compilations.

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
Hm, that reminds me of this video where a Coca-Cola fanboy ranks different brands of colas. To his surprise Coca-Cola was among his least favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTZOVAmvVoo

I wonder if Ronaldo fanboys, if subjected to a blind test, would also find the target of their devotion to be subpar.

Please watch this and imagine that it is Ronaldo. I think you'll be surprised to find that this version is infinitely better and more pleasant to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrMYl8WvgQ

"He who does not love Recoba does not love football" ~ Jesus, circa 29 AD

P.S. My apologies for the terrible music, but that is apparently mandatory for football compilations.
Recoba surpasses other players with pure skill and creativity. CRon surpasses players because his body is more developed (as if I went to beat talented 7 year olds at the local field).

Crazy to think Inter had within a few years Recoba, Ronaldo, Vieri, Baggio. Actually there is an article about it:

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/242713/remembering-when-inter-milan-had-all-the-best-forwards-in-the-world-for-one-season-only-and-finished-fourth/

·
Registered
69,132 Posts
I know South America is a big continent and not as wealthy as most of Europe but the attendance is shocking (though I read ticket prices are ridiculous).

Also considering the fact one year ago South Americans came to Russia in droves which is arguably more expensive and father travel :googly:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
I know South America is a big continent and not as wealthy as most of Europe but the attendance is shocking (though I read ticket prices are ridiculous).

Also considering the fact one year ago South Americans came to Russia in droves which is arguably more expensive and father travel :googly:
They're probably paying off their trips to Russia as of now. I've seen that they offer the possibility to pay off airplane tickets for 36 months in Argentine newspapers and TV-commercials.

People also forget that many fans of Boca Juniors and River Plate went to Madrid for the Copa Libertadores final.

There's nothing strange with this, only people from the West being surprised by something they're not being affected by.

The thread start has that undertone of ignorance on why Messi can't win a major tournament with Argentina and thus will never be the greatest. Well, good luck on winning a tournament when the players have their interests, the coach his own ideas and the FA end up leaking sensitive information regarding the way their team will play because they didn't get what they wanted. Plus the hysterical Argentine society which is a level above the worst European scenario.

·
Registered
44,351 Posts
One footed and can't head...
He can use his right but who needs to when you have God's Left Foot? The guy doesn't even need to bother trying to enter the penalty area when Recoba Range turns half of half the pitch into the penalty area.

They sell these football cards each with a piece of a player's jersey on them. Recoba's card means more than the Shroud of Turin, feel me?

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Copa America doesn't generally involve lots of traveling from fans all over the continent. There's no tradition of that, in part because it' been played so often. It's not only that distances are big; airfare in South America is also very expensive and most people don't have a ton of money; there's no trains; and buses take forever and in many places are pretty dangerous. Most people are also not in long holidays in June, as the summer is December-March. World Cup is a once in a lifetime thing for most people so it's a whole different issue. I've traveled to the World Cup in Russia, but have only attended Copa América when it was in the city where I was living.

It's usually the locals who fill the stadiums in most Copa América games, with some help from immigrant communities and some travel from those close to the borders, plus the odd few thousands of hardcore fans who will travel anywhere. In some cases this works well anyway because the games are in cities that rarely have international football, and the stadiums are not that big anyway -- so you'll see 25,000 people in a second-tier Ecuadorian stadium, which is enough to almost fill most of them or at least look good.

In Brazil many cities have a large offer of football, and the stadiums are big. In other words, you don't expect 30,000 Paraguayans to travel to watch a Copa América game against Qatar, and it's hard to imagine that 80,000 people in Rio de Janeiro will fight rush hour traffic and spend money to attend Maracana for that game, or same in Sao Paulo to fill Morumbi for Chile - Japan (although there are a lot of people of Japanese origin there, most are Brazilians who support Brazil) when on paper they can watch better football, with teams they care about, every weekend. So in fact around 20,000 people for those games is not bad.

By contrast, games in the (very long) WC qualis tend to be packed or close to capacity as long as the teams have a fighting chance.

·
Registered
44,351 Posts
I have fond memories of Recoba, had an absolute shocker when Australia qualified to the World Cup in 2006 against Uruguay. :thumbsup:

@Nacka, can you believe this guy?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts