Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honestly guys, Sometimes I wonder why he is so wanked over.

Baggio had alot of class and a fantastic player and talent, But from what I've seen the guy isn't as great as people make out.

Signori looked to have more to his game, Bergkamp was certainly on the same level and probably better, Zola was also better IMO

But obviously Im not saying Baggio wasn't a great player, Just not as great as they make out, Same goes for Cantona who is immensely overrated and I saw alot more of this guy btw

BTW its not only me that thinks this, Alot of pundits think this and Gabrielle Marcotti said this guy was a fantastic talent but not as good as they made out and Baggio basically flopped at all 3 giant clubs bar one great season at Juventus(His words not mine)

Baggio was a brilliant player, Theres no doubt about that but was he really worth all that fuss? I guess theres like a Italian icon aspect too it but guys there are other better talents that didn't get a tenth of his praise.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Actually, Baggio's club career was what let him down (and maybe because the teams dropped him for not much reason) but when the guy played he was a massive influence. I mean come on, he got little Bologna to the UEFA cup semi-final back in 98 or 99 or something like that. He had 3 very good world cups which is what people remember him by.

The first half of his career was special but the second half maybe not so much... once he moved from Juve to Milan it was downhill from there, but I saw him score 1 goal for Juve v Milan where he dumbied it through Baresi's legs, turned costacurta, then Rossi and rolled into the net. Now that is a special goal but Signori for sure has been immensly under-rated in his time. He was a consistent 20+ goal a season striker for Lazio and had the best shot in the world at the time.

I think Bergkamp will not be rated in such high regards in Italy after his time at Inter was poor but maybe that was the Inter disease talking. Baggio also had a poor spell at Inter (not his fault as he never played, when he did he was very good and also got them to the CL with a good performance)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well for someone who seems to think Ledley King is on of the best defneders in the world some of your judgement on Baggio has been unfair. If you watch him before 94', like if you watch Owen before 2002', you see that these were top players. Baggio of course won the player of the year in 93.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deano said:
Actually, Baggio's club career was what let him down (and maybe because the teams dropped him for not much reason) but when the guy played he was a massive influence. I mean come on, he got little Bologna to the UEFA cup semi-final back in 98 or 99 or something like that. He had 3 very good world cups which is what people remember him by.

The first half of his career was special but the second half maybe not so much... once he moved from Juve to Milan it was downhill from there, but I saw him score 1 goal for Juve v Milan where he dumbied it through Baresi's legs, turned costacurta, then Rossi and rolled into the net. Now that is a special goal but Signori for sure has been immensly under-rated in his time. He was a consistent 20+ goal a season striker for Lazio and had the best shot in the world at the time.

I think Bergkamp will not be rated in such high regards in Italy after his time at Inter was poor but maybe that was the Inter disease talking. Baggio also had a poor spell at Inter (not his fault as he never played, when he did he was very good and also got them to the CL with a good performance)
Exactly man, Baggio was class

But like you say Bergkamp if he was given more of a chance and had played as many game may have been rated as high

The Inter disease took Recoba who has only played something like 136 games for them. Compared to hundreds of Baggio games in SerieA over decades. Recoba should of left like Bergkamp.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
totaly agreed faisal..if signori was given the saem respect as baggio ppl would understand he was by far our best attacking talent of the time...baggio had SLIGHTY better vision but frankly attribute by attribute signori was a better player and if utilized and utilized properly would have been a legend by now on an international scale

btw deano BAGGIO did win world player of the year 1993...but who was the top scorer in seria A despite being injured for the first 4 weeks?..beppegol signori///and lazio were not world beaters at the time..juve and milan were

look at it this way...Signori was faster..had a far better shot..a lot more charimsa fantastic corners and crossing ability and his vision and dirbbiling skills were terrifyingly underrated

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deano said:
Well for someone who seems to think Ledley King is on of the best defneders in the world some of your judgement on Baggio has been unfair. If you watch him before 94', like if you watch Owen before 2002', you see that these were top players. Baggio of course won the player of the year in 93.

Ledley King I belive is the best English CB, So what?

Everyone has their preferances

I told you I think Baggio was a brilliant player and talent, But people talk as if he is a living god,

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Deano said:

so are you comparing Baggio to Michael Owen ? :eekani:

Owen was good but a young Robbie Fowler was clearly a different class and got much less hype, maybe that's what Faisal means.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Bergkamp played 52 games in 2 seasons of Serie A.... It was not that he didnt get the chance, it was just that he didnt play well in hsi time there like many others. Recoba just plays inconsistently and Im not sure that would change whatever club he is at. He can play a blinder then a stinker all within 1 game :D Baggio at Inter was like 5th choice striker. I think Baggio has been better with the smaller clubs... also because they believed in him.

At least at that time Italy had Baggio, Signori, Zola and Mancini. Now we have bugger all players like them except Cassano could get to their level if he stayed sane. Totti is not like them IMO, he doesnt have as much flair and skill as all of those.

·
63,337 Posts
pirri said:
totaly agreed faisal..if signori was given the saem respect as baggio ppl would understand he was by far our best attacking talent of the time...baggio had SLIGHTY better vision but frankly attribute by attribute signori was a better player and if utilized and utilized properly would have been a legend by now on an international scale

I wondered how long it would take you to appear, did your Signori alarm go off on your PC ? :D

next you'll be saying Signori was more skilfull than Matt Le Tissier :D

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Its not the title I disagree with, it was just 1 or 2 comments within the posts which have been unfair to Baggio but fair enough. Not everyone will like him and if King is Englands best CB then maybe I have over-rated the new crop of English CB's :(

·
63,337 Posts
Deano said:
Bergkamp played 52 games in 2 seasons of Serie A.... It was not that he didnt get the chance
playing in a shite defensice team with a greedy strike partner after coming from the Ajax system, no wonder he struggled.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jern Lizardhous said:
so are you comparing Baggio to Michael Owen ? :eekani:

Owen was good but a young Robbie Fowler was clearly a different class and got much less hype, maybe that's what Faisal means.

Exactly Jern, Im not saying they were ok players or even good, They were brilliant but mate the amount of praise given compared to others that were better or on the same level is unbelivable.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
A young Fowler played in a much crapper Premiership at the time, even if Fowler at a young age was quality. I say this with Cantona and some other good players of that time, how good would they have been in nowadays premiership? As good as they were or crapper?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Bergkamp has never even been better than good old Teddy Sheringham so there...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deano said:
Its not the title I disagree with, it was just 1 or 2 comments within the posts which have been unfair to Baggio but fair enough. Not everyone will like him and if King is Englands best CB then maybe I have over-rated the new crop of English CB's :(
Mate this King talk is irrevelant, I mean Im comparing the guy to Sol and JTerry. Not exactly the same thing. 99% of the world doesn't know who he is.

BTW Deano mate, Can I just make it clear, Baggio was brilliant. Just that Im trying to say maybe the media went abit overboard with it

·
63,337 Posts
Deano said:
A young Fowler played in a much crapper Premiership at the time, even if Fowler at a young age was quality. I say this with Cantona and some other good players of that time, how good would they have been in nowadays premiership? As good as they were or crapper?

It doesn't really matter too much that the standard was slightly lower, Fowler was just a special type of finisher, it was easy to see that, left foot, right foot, head, inside the box , outside the box and even free-kicks, Owen was much more limited to being speedy.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
man if jern compares that loon le tisser to signori ill compare robbie savage to patrick viera

1 - 20 of 213 Posts