Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are you a Mets/Yankees/Cubs/Braves etc.. fan, explain why you support the team you support! and if any Yankee fan says anything other than the fact that they are frontfunners, they are lying :cool: :lala:

·
Registered
69,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am a Mets fan because I was born in Queens, NY and lived most of my life about 5-10 minutes from Shea Stadium and I could never see myself cheering for the Yankees. Also my dad was an influence, when he moved to America in the late 60's of course he didn't know anything about baseball but he went to school in a heavily Hispanic populated school :)howler: ) and they were all into baseball. He said back in the 60's, Mets were the "hip" team to support and many younger people cheered for them because of the cheaper tickets and the exciting players like Tom Seaver, Tommy Agee etc..

I also love National League baseball, true baseball, pitchers bat, more strategy...also everytime I look at Yankees fans I thank God I'm not one, boy are they annoying and stupid! :thmbup:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wow ..well like you HS ,I was born about 10 mins from Shea. My Dad moved to NY from Scotland. He said that the Yankees were like Glasgow Rangers, so we started to root for the Mets. My first game was in 76, Seaver beat the cubs in front of 55, 000. Been hooked ever since.

There is only one team for New Yorkers...Los Mets

·
Registered
69,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my dad's first game was the game Tom Seaver had a one hitter against the Cubs in '68 I think. My first game was in 86 against the Pirates and all I remember the Mets won 2-1 in the 10th :D

·
Registered
69,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, the thing that sucked was the guy who got the only hit was like a .188 hitter, Nicky Qualls?

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
I didnt become a hardcore Dodger fanatic till the year 02 really when i moved to L.A. I always thought they're a cool team and had alot of tradition and class and i always saw that Kirk Gibson miracle homerun against the A's on TV but i never really considered myself a Dodgers fan until i went to Dodger Stadium. My first game was actually the Dodgers-Mets and the Dodgers lost 1-0 to a Mo Vaughn homerun but i just fell in love with the team and the stadium and have been a hardcore fan ever since.

We taking over the NL, boys :fero:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,446 Posts
How life goes in circles.....I came to this country in 1966...I lived in Forest Hills, Queens till 1973, the year I finally cut the cord and moved away from the filth of NY to wonderful sunny Florida...I learned to love baseball with american friends visiting Shea at every chance we had....And I have to admit the Mets were then the team I liked (Never in love with...thought) ....Funny how in their first world series...we attended lots of games during their regular season...but missed going to Shea on all the home world series....
I followed the Mets until the Marlins and the Devil Rays came to Florida...the rest is history......

:)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I live in Europe and baseball isn't very popular over here so I never had a strong connection to the sport. My dad bought me a Yankee jersey and a cap when I was a kid so I always had that in the back of my head when I started watching baseball on tele a couple of years later. Now days I'm hooked and love taking the metro up to the south of Bronx when I'm in NYC.

·
94,446 Posts
Robban said:
I live in Europe and baseball isn't very popular over here so I never had a strong connection to the sport. My dad bought me a Yankee jersey and a cap when I was a kid so I always had that in the back of my head when I started watching baseball on tele a couple of years later. Now days I'm hooked and love taking the metro up to the south of Bronx when I'm in NYC.
The Yankee ballpark...man I never forget......in the summer of 1967 Santos of Brasil played Inter..there on a friendly/exhibition game...there must have been easily 50,000 people...(49,001 italians)...The Brazucas whipped the Tanos....and towards the end of the game something happened on a referee call that went agains the goombas...the italian fans started to invade the pitch...Im not lying if there 20 cops at Yankee Stadium..thats a lot....Well the players from BOTH sides had to kick their way out of the pitch....what a mayhem that ending was !!!! :jester:

·
Registered
69,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in the 80's there were more flies and cops at Yankee Stadium than fans, now you find people from Europe, Japan at the game just to take picture :googly:

One thing I appreaciate about the Mets is we have real fans, we don't need fake ones like the Yankees

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
in the 80's there were more flies and cops at Yankee Stadium than fans, now you find people from Europe, Japan at the game just to take picture :googly:

One thing I appreaciate about the Mets is we have real fans, we don't need fake ones like the Yankees
You mean I'm a fake fan due to where I was born? It's the same thing in Europe with forigners coming to watch football matches just for the fun of it and taking pictures. If I got a penny for every american/dutch/german/english/japanese I've showed where to sit at Camp Nou I'd be a very wealthy man now.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
I was born in San Francisco and all my relatives back for a few generations lived here (except for one Bostoner). When the Giants arrived in the late 50s, my grandparents and parents became fans; maybe not as hardcore as they are with the 49ers but they all are. So am I, despite the fact they've disappointed me every year since my birth.

·
94,446 Posts
HajdukSplit said:

Bahawah....it reminds me of the last world series won by the Marlins....beating those nasty Yanks !!!!
For the first 4 games the wife and I were in Mexico vacationing...and two of those games we went to see at some bars in San Miguel (Guanajuato State)....all the gringos (And Im sure MANY mexicanos too) Xcept me and the wife...had yankee caps on ....they all picked on us...the joke of course we all know...at the end was on the real fans and the wannabbes....The Fish disposed of them PROPERLY !!!! :howler:

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Living in Canada, I became a Jays fan since we really only get their games on tv. It's been a tough decade, but things are looking to turn around this year

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I'm a Giants fan simply because I was born in the Bay Area, my dad took me to Giants games, and that was that. I'm hoping sometime they can win a World Series (they were so damn close in 02...), but if they don't, I won't be surprised. If Barry still has it this year we might have a shot.

A's are also good, probably my second team. I don't feel as much rivalry due to the fact that the Giants are in the NL and the A's are in the AL. When they meet though I root for the Giants.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Robban said:
You mean I'm a fake fan due to where I was born? It's the same thing in Europe with forigners coming to watch football matches just for the fun of it and taking pictures. If I got a penny for every american/dutch/german/english/japanese I've showed where to sit at Camp Nou I'd be a very wealthy man now.

Yeah don't take it personally , it the same as Man Utd vs Man City
City fans come from Manchester , Utd fans come from all over.
If ya ever come back to NYC ..take a train out to Shea..you'll have a great time..cheers

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
I like how people take tours of NYC, they always go to Yankee Stadium but never to Shea :lala:
Thats like going to Madrid and going to see the Calderon instead of the Bernabeu :D

Yankees have more tradition and history than the Mets my friend, thats it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts