Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.as.com/articulo.html?xre...nchor=dasopiA00

It Is in Spanish. The journalist is asking himself why we win everything in indoor football (again world champions) and win almost nothing in normal football.

The answer to me is very simple: lack of height, lack of weight and lack of pace that produce the typical shortcoming of the Spanish players: unable to beat players, dispossesed easily of the ball, weak in the challenge, awaful at shooting (need to walk the ball into the net), very poor in set pieces.
I would suggest one thing: teach wanna be handball players football skills :D.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Why don't we win anything in normal football? Lack of strikers and lack of champion mentality wearing the NT shirt.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mentality? Don't think that is the problem. Why do the junior teams win a lot? My answer: athletically we are quick developpers and can compete at that stage with other teams. Look at the different categories. Ten years olds: our players win every international club trophy. Under 16's, 17's NT: the best in Europe. Under 18's very good record but not as good. Under 21's, much better than the senior squad but our worst NT in junior categories. The older the Spanish player gets the worse in comparison with the top players of other nationalities.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't ask them to be 100 meters record holders but can you imagine if Guardiola, Xavi, Iniesta, Raul, Hierro had the same athletic endeavour or let's say Zidane, Maradona, Maldini, Figo, Ronaldinho, etc etc? Our player are not only much weaker(physically) but they are slow as snails with the odd exception. They say that Zidane is slow. I can only think of two Spanish players with his frame: Nadal and Hierro, and Zidane was Ben Johnson with steroids compared to those two. Guardiola and Xavi (excellent football brains) don't run, they walk. Raul to me it is unbelieveble he has achieved so much with a body rail thin (69 kgs), with no pace whatsover, a vertical of 3 inches, and no shooting power.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Congrats!!! and btw with the Davis too!!

About normal football, only one can be the winner so luck has lots to do, attitude too (in Euro Cip was really lame how you went out keeping a tie that classified you, while you were constantly attack, I almost break the table wanting Spain to attack, I was furious as if I were Spanish, I couldn't believe it...).
Many times also bad coaches choices (but every team lives with that), also is not like with mentallity you are instant champions too, and may be that doesn't help either, you have a tendency to think too much grand (always remember that nor Sivori, nor Di Stefano, nor Zico ever won a WC, and give an idea that is not just the players),next minute you are the worse, both aren't truth, but the future with Cesc, Iniesta looks very good.
Sometimes is also a question of depth in real super players, and taking out Raul (no matter his actuall level) in the actuall team isn't a Cafu for instance if you get what I mean.
Is full with great prospects, similar case of Argentina, BUT: no Gentos, no Hierros, no Luis Enriques, no Guardiolas, and with us no Passarellas, no Kempes, no Di Stefanos, no Maradonas...so we both need to some of ours (the Aimares/Reyes), take that step to the legend status, and give another level for the team, we are loaded of D'Alessandros, Tevez, Torres, Joaquines, future Messis, Cescs, Mascheranos, etc...but only Pujol/Ayala (and the first too much young) are the ones that are working like real leaders, and constantly playing great...we are giving cards and starting from zero every minute, in both NT is difficult to name by memory the names of the usuall team cause ther is not such thing.
And both are playing with 20 years old kids (more Argentina, and in the case of Spain won't do any damage to see Iniesta and Cesc more).

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
Mentality? Don't think that is the problem. Why do the junior teams win a lot? My answer: athletically we are quick developpers and can compete at that stage with other teams. Look at the different categories. Ten years olds: our players win every international club trophy. Under 16's, 17's NT: the best in Europe. Under 18's very good record but not as good. Under 21's, much better than the senior squad but our worst NT in junior categories. The older the Spanish player gets the worse in comparison with the top players of other nationalities.
The pressure is not the same. If we lose a WC U-21, the critics are low, no press covers and the fans don't care that much about it. In the first team, there is quality. If you read the names of our players, I don't think that we should envy any team in the world, but Brazil.

Something happens later. First of all, we know that for the Spanish fan, the club is always more important than the NT. Not only for the fans, I think that players also care much more about their clubs. Second, lack of leadership, we have good players, some of them very important in their teams, but if we think about Barça and Madrid, the key players are foreigners.

You talk about lack of physical power. It may affect, but we've played with Albelda and Baraja in the last 2 years and the results are not much better. Some others are also strong players, hard workers, as Luque or Vicente, even Raul works a lot.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I think this topic is like asking why is the sky blue? You can't answer it with just 1 or 2 reasons. To put 60-70 years into a generalized question doesn't make sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts