Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a fan of RSC Anderlecht I have had the luck to see some of the greatest african talents play (from stephen keshi over charly musonda to celestin babayaro).

Unfortunately I also saw a lot of (even better) young talents wasted. Niï Lamptey was called the new Pélé and when you saw him make his debut you could understand why. Still due to injuries, long trips whit the national team of Ghana or way too much presure on him, he didn't make it.

Same story goes for Azubike Oliseh (brother of Sunday) and James Obiorah. Two amazing footbal-players (amazing believe me!!). They didn't manage to take over the western way of live, was said. Oliseh plays for Utrecht now and Obiorah was sold to Grasshopers Zurich (is he still there???).

Now my question is how come there is soo much young, african talent wasted. Is it bad luck, is it the difference in culture or is it....??

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It's hard to get used for them when they leave there country at most times such a young age. They should be better surrounded by people who take care of them. Mentally they aren't strong enough.

Also the clubs put too much pressure on them and when they don't bring immediately what they expect from him, they are left alone and they get a new 'talent' and so on...

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know ho it is in other countries, but in Belgium an African youngster has to be ready for the first team at the age of 18. Whereas a Belgian talent is only dropped in the team at the age of 21-23. Maybe 18 is way too young.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nii Odartey Lamptey is simply past his prime now!! Those years ago when he played for Anderlecht and PSV he was at his best because he was in his PRIME!! Please don't tell me he his 26 years old now because he really isn't!! I'm not his mother but I know very well that Lamptey his much older than that. He in the first placed shouldn't have gone to Aston Villa!! that was a terrible mistake!!! and again he I am really sure he got SWOLLEM HEADED with all those wild predictions of him becoming the next Pele!! Lots of African players really get complacent with the few pennies they earn and are not motivated to go the extra mile to fully achieve international recognition!! That's one reason why most African players just dissapear into the wilderness after encouraging starts to their careers.

[Edited by Valdano on 08-12-2000 at 21:26]

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are many talks about Lamptay. Some say he was much older than 16 (like a lot of African talents) others at Anderlecht said he wasn't even 16. In Belgium you have to be 16 to start in the first team. Therefore it was said they manipulated his age on his pass.

Anyway he once one hell of a player. To me he didn't make it because:

1) There as way too much pressure on him. For example that "black Pélé"-stuff really got to his head.
2) He had way too much games at that time. He was fighting for his starting place at Anderlecht, which he eventually lost due to his games with the national side of Ghana. I think those national coaches really killed him. He was selected for the first team, the -21.... and he never refused. Then came the injuries and finally it was clear that he was lost for football.

Anderlecht managed to sell him to PSV, where Aad De Mos, the man who let him make his debut in the Anderlecht-team, was coach. At PSV he had some good games, but you could see it was over. It was all downhill from there. He even went to Brazil and last year he warmed the bench at some German 3e division team.

It really makes me really sad when I think of him. I remember the excitement I felt as an Anderlecht-fan. Your club having a futur worldstar and he showed it. His first game, he made the decisive goal. His first European game against Red Star Belgrado, who just became European Champion, he played marvelous and scored, although we lost.

Still the team didn't learn from this mistake. After him many hughely talented players where wasted (e.x. the brother of Sunday Oliseh, Azubike). In the end the team didn't look for African talents anymore :(.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts