Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered why TV pundits, magazines, newspapers etc.. make Poland favourites to finish 2nd in this group :confused:

Is it because they are European and the USA and Korea aren't??

I can't see how people can justify Poland being good enough to qualify from this group...

They had an easy qualifying group, have done absolutely nothing in World football in the last decade aand rely on a Nigerian to score their goals.

I'm not here to start a war with the Poles or anything but Korea and the USA look stronger sides to me and I think Poland will finish 3rd or 4th in this group.

USA look strong and workmanlike and will be difficult to break down. But Korea with the home advantage look a decent proposition and my favourite to join Portugal in Round 2.

Also the climate will prove very tough for the Poles in the humid conditions which the other 3 sides will be more used to, especially Portugal and Korea.

I could be proved wrong and I'd be happy for Poland if they done well and I wish them the best of luck but I don't see what the fuss is about with this very ordinary and average looking side.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I have to agree. This is the first time we've qualified in 16 years and out of nowhere a lot of people are saying that it's cool to see Poland strong again, that it's a team they like watching and will be following. And all that is fine. But with the popularity comes the pressure and expectations that results will come. The qualification was indeed a simple task compared to the actual tournament which awaits us.

Yet Poland is ranked above South Korea and the US by most people and that is by no means obvious to me. Although I consider both our opponents somewhat unknown quantities, the favorization based on Poland being a European nation (yes I think that means a lot in this context) does not hold water.

That we defeated Ukraine, Belarus and Norway on our way does not mean the rest will come that easy. Ukraine is so unstable that it hurts to watch, they can obtain good results in a period, then they break down and disappoint, I don't think missing out on both Euro and the WC is a coincidence here. Belarus is a much more stable team and quite good. But does not match the quality of the reborn Polish side. Norway sucks at the moment, not much to say about them.

Thus a lot of people will be very disappointed if Poland doesn't make it to the 2nd round, even though they have no real basis to expect that to happen. :)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Well if you consider how they performed in qualifying, it may give you some idea. But I also believe Poland is slightly overrated.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
www.theworldgame.com.au

Poland coach Jerzy Engel has announced his 23-man squad for the World Cup finals after the team's 1-0 friendly win over Estonia.

Engel used 22 members of his World Cup squad in the match against Estonia, with only first choice goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek of Liverpool sitting out to rest a sore knee.

After he initially named a 24-man train-on squad, Engel's final selection was straightforward after Legia Warsaw winger Bartosz Karwan was injured and ruled out of the World Cup.

The 23-man Poland squad is:

Goalkeepers: Jerzy Dudek (Liverpool), Radoslaw Majdan (Goeztepe Izmir), Adam Matysek (RKS Radomsko)

Defenders: Michal Zewlakow (Excelsior Mouscron), Marek Kozminski (Ancona Calcio), Tomasz Waldoch, Tomasz Hajto (both Schalke 04), Jacek Zielinski (Legia Warsaw), Jacek Bak (RC Lens), Tomasz Klos (Kaiserslautern), Arkadiusz Glowacki (Wisla Krakow)

Midfielders: Tomasz Rzasa (Feyenoord), Jacek Krzynowek (Nuernberg), Radoslaw Kaluzny (Energie Cottbus), Arkadiusz Bak (Widzew Lodz), Piotr Swierczewski (Olympique Marseilles), Maciej Murawski (Legia Warsaw), Pawel Sibik (Odra Wodzislaw)

Strikers: Emmanuel Olisadebe (Panathinaikos Athens), Pawel Kryszalowicz (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maciej Zurawski (Wisla Krakow), Marcin Zewlakow (Excelsior Mouscron), Cezary Kucharski (Legia Warsaw)

The only goal of the game against Estonia arrived after the interval as substitute Maciej Zurawski found the back of the net.

After sailing through the UEFA World Cup qualifiers, Poland has suffered a dip in form and Engel would be concerned as he team in drawn in Group D with co-host Korea, Portugal and the USA.

After a dull first half, Wisla Krakow's Zurawski slotted home smartly to give the Warsaw crowd some joy.

Earlier this week a team of reserves thrashed the expected first choice side 5-1 while the Poles have also come under fire from the local media for disappointing results against Romania and Japan.

Yet Engel preferred to concentrate on the positives after the match, "I am very proud of my players, who have put in a lot of tough work over the last week.

"Today the ball simply did not listen.

"We did not have the pace, the light touches or the accurate passes... but we won," he added.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Dan said:
Just wondered why TV pundits, magazines, newspapers etc.. make Poland favourites to finish 2nd in this group :confused:

Is it because they are European and the USA and Korea aren't??

I can't see how people can justify Poland being good enough to qualify from this group...

They had an easy qualifying group, have done absolutely nothing in World football in the last decade aand rely on a Nigerian to score their goals.

I'm not here to start a war with the Poles or anything but Korea and the USA look stronger sides to me and I think Poland will finish 3rd or 4th in this group.

USA look strong and workmanlike and will be difficult to break down. But Korea with the home advantage look a decent proposition and my favourite to join Portugal in Round 2.

Also the climate will prove very tough for the Poles in the humid conditions which the other 3 sides will be more used to, especially Portugal and Korea.

I could be proved wrong and I'd be happy for Poland if they done well and I wish them the best of luck but I don't see what the fuss is about with this very ordinary and average looking side.

poland overated, since when?. just because some so called experts have picked poland to finish second in the group does not make us overated, but history indicates that poland has the right to be rated above the usa or korea considering both these teams have done nothing even though they have competed in the last 3 or 4 world cups while poland havent competed in the world cup in 15 years and we still have accomplished more then all 3 teams so dont tell me korea or usa should be ahead of poland cause when the bigger the game poland always plays its best while the rest of the teams have traditionally floped.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
From FIFA World Ranking Portugal and US are 'better' than the other 2 teams ....

But FIFA had always had something different to different team, so we'll see....

·
International
8,545 Posts
I don't think Poland are overrated, at least not compared to the US and especially South Korea.

The US has confidence and some clout on account of qualifying for the WC consistently, but then the CONCACAF qualifying zone would be a wet dream for most Europeans.

South Korea, maybe I underrate them a bit but I can't agree that they're better than Poland, I don't think they're anywhere near Poland in terms of quality.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
IVO, what we think about Korea is about right, they don't have star player than could change the situation in the field. I'm saying like, at least, Nakata in Japan...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Sure, maybe the glory days of the 70's and mid 80's of polish football perhaps has taken them a bit higher than they really stand.
But overrated or not, it is Portugal and Poland leaving this group :stuckup:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Poland are probably going to finish fourth because of that hard loss to Korea but I wouldn't be surrpised if USA also lose to Korea because of that stunning crowd that they have supporting them and screaming their lungs out. ;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
both these teams have done nothing even though they have competed in the last 3 or 4 world cups while poland havent competed in the world cup in 15 years and we still have accomplished more then all 3 teams
How do you figure Poland has accomplished more in the past 15 years than the other 3 teams if they haven't qualified for any tournaments? If you're referring to success in the 70s, though, I don't see how it has any effect at all on what's going on today.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, the highlight of Polish soccer since 1986 has to be the 1992 Olympic team which I think lost to Spain, the home team.
I guess not enough of those players developed into great players.

Poland looked slow and uncertain. You can't pin it all on the crowd. All teams play crucial games in front of hostile crowds. The problem was that South Korea just ran the Polish ragged.
The first goal was a result of lax marking and Korea was on their way.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Reading right now some of the posts about this group before any matches were played is really funny. South Korea and USA who were completely written off are right now looking to go to the next round. :D
Group D has been knocked on its ass.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i think that poland played great in the qualifying phase, they looked like a strong team. they played as a unit and looked impressive.

they also have good players, dudek, hajto, kozminski, olisadebe, these are quality players.

poland really disappointed me, and i still think is was right of me to think that they would play a good WC

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IL TORO said:
Reading right now some of the posts about this group before any matches were played is really funny. South Korea and USA who were completely written off are right now looking to go to the next round. :D
Group D has been knocked on its ass.
Dunno about that IL TORO. Still 4 games left in this group. I think Portugal will bounce back and join Korea in the 2nd Round.

But I stand by my pre-tornament thoughts - Poland are an average side and Portugal will only lose to them if we play just as badly as we did against the USA.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Considering the results so far (and Poland is out to the ones not quite up to date), I think Dan proved his point pretty convincingly.

Well done, Dan!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts