Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please enlighten me, you claim that EPL is crap, yet you can't seem to stop flooding every EPL/English NT/English players thread. I don't see EPL fans flooding the topics about Serie A or La Liga just to bash those two respective leagues. If you have a reason for hating the EPL, the English NT, or English players, I'm really interested in knowing it, and please refrain from using the English media or the "it's overrated" excuse, those can't be the only reasons.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Believe it or not I infact like the EPL. I have fun watching the better games every Saturday morning and the odd match during the week. The EPL was the first major league I was able to watch, and I would have been rather bored on Saturday mornings for the past few years if I was not able to see some matches. Even though the EPL is not my favorite league, I still like watching it and discussing the football.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe its because people like you are trying hard to make it appear better than it really is.
1. In the past 10 years or so, only Man U has reached a final of UCL. Yet you guys are always claiming your teams are better than other teams
2. Teams like arsenal struggle to get ot of a group consisting of teams like Rosenborg while at the same time they go 50 games unbeaten in the league. Does this make arsenal the best thing since sliced bread? Maybe against Southampton
3. Serie A and La Liga are clearly better than your league. Infact there is no prove that German, Portugal, Scottish, Dutch, French leagues have lower standards than EPL. And yet you guys are trying desperately to be considered in the same sentence as the top two leagues.
4. You have a tendency of turning ordinary players into gods. Guys like Rooney are so ordinary but you guys want the whole world to believe he is the best youngster in the world. Rooney can't do anything besides take a hit-and-hope-kick from outside the area when no one is marking him. That'll work against guys like Dudeck but not any decent keeper outside the epl.
5. Beckham is the most overrated player on earth.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Jamal said:
and please refrain from using the English media or the "it's overrated" excuse, those can't be the only reasons.
Because of the English media, and the fact that the game is over-rated of course. :)

Seriously though, if you ever had the misfortune of experiencing the English media during one of their country's ritual tournament failings, with their "England Expects" hyperbole and quite often xenophobic outlook on their national team's opponents then it'd be enough to convert anyone into wishing failure upon them.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
papa said:
Maybe its because people like you are trying hard to make it appear better than it really is.
1. In the past 10 years or so, only Man U has reached a final of UCL. Yet you guys are always claiming your teams are better than other teams
2. Teams like arsenal struggle to get ot of a group consisting of teams like Rosenborg while at the same time they go 50 games unbeaten in the league. Does this make arsenal the best thing since sliced bread? Maybe against Southampton
3. Serie A and La Liga are clearly better than your league. Infact there is no prove that German, Portugal, Scottish, Dutch, French leagues have lower standards than EPL. And yet you guys are trying desperately to be considered in the same sentence as the top two leagues.
4. You have a tendency of turning ordinary players into gods. Guys like Rooney are so ordinary but you guys want the whole world to believe he is the best youngster in the world. Rooney can't do anything besides take a hit-and-hope-kick from outside the area when no one is marking him. That'll work against guys like Dudeck but not any decent keeper outside the epl.
5. Beckham is the most overrated player on earth.
:dielaugh: :yuck: :nono:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Jamal said:
Please enlighten me, you claim that EPL is crap, yet you can't seem to stop flooding every EPL/English NT/English players thread. I don't see EPL fans flooding the topics about Serie A or La Liga just to bash those two respective leagues. If you have a reason for hating the EPL, the English NT, or English players, I'm really interested in knowing it, and please refrain from using the English media or the "it's overrated" excuse, those can't be the only reasons.
People give attention to things they hate and love.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i think the fact that EPL followers dont all post in other leagues is because many of them dont watch the likes of serie A or la liga enough to realise its quality.

of course by saying that, its sterotyping which is probably wrong to do, however, its clear that many La liga and serie A fans watch more of the EPL than vice versa.

And i think the days of debating which leagues are better are over now. each league is unique and it all depends on what people like at the end of the day.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
King_Henrik said:
Because of the English media, and the fact that the game is over-rated of course. :)

Seriously though, if you ever had the misfortune of experiencing the English media during one of their country's ritual tournament failings, with their "England Expects" hyperbole and quite often xenophobic outlook on their national team's opponents then it'd be enough to convert anyone into wishing failure upon them.
:rolleyes:

moe said:
5. Beckham is the most overrated player on earth
:rolleyes: - isnt it funny how this bothers people so muchwhen all it is, is a steriotypical view of English fans, our league and our teams!

Get back in your box! :finger:

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
CUG said:
i think the fact that EPL followers dont all post in other leagues is because many of them dont watch the likes of serie A or la liga enough to realise its quality.

of course by saying that, its sterotyping which is probably wrong to do, however, its clear that many La liga and serie A fans watch more of the EPL than vice versa.
This is funny......I totally disagree, I dont think any country in the world has the football and sports coverage that we do! The average england fan IMO knows more about world football than any other country.

There you go assuming again! :depress:

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Nico said:
This is funny......I totally disagree, I dont think any country in the world has the football and sports coverage that we do! The average england fan IMO knows more about world football than any other country.

There you go assuming again! :depress:
:thumbsup: Yep, if you have Sky Sports, which most of the population do.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
papa said:
2. Teams like arsenal struggle to get ot of a group consisting of teams like Rosenborg while at the same time they go 50 games unbeaten in the league.
But ... we ... still ... won ... our ... group ... so ... there's ... no ... difference ... between ... us ... and ... Juventus ... because ... the ... next ... round ... is ... not ... drawn ... on ... how ... many ... group ... stage ... games ... won.

Hopefully spacing it all out like that will make idiots like you realise this. :eek:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
CUG said:

Funny indeed. I watch Serie A and La Liga, know their quality, but I never bash them.

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Most EPL-bashers you'll notice are ex-colonials, still bitter about British imperialism and colonialism.

The price you pay for previously having a vast Empire; a lot of your former subjects now disdain your football league with a passion.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Nero said:
Most EPL-bashers you'll notice are ex-colonials, still bitter about British imperialism and colonialism.

The price you pay for previously having a vast Empire; a lot your former subjects now disdain your football league with a passion.
Nobody hates the Italians, their empire was pretty big - even the Germans are liked more than us!

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Well the Roman Empire was quite a while back, grudges have since subsided one would think.

Then there's the nauseatingly bias English commentators as well, that many of us have had the displeasure of coming across at one point or another.

The British are also rather a self-important bunch.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Nero said:
Well the Roman Empire was quite a while back, grudges have since subsided one would think.

Then there's the nauseatingly bias English commentators as well, that many of us have had the displeasure of coming across at one point or another.

The British are also rather a self-important bunch.
Living on an island might have something to do with it!

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Nero said:

The price you pay for previously having a vast Empire; a lot of your former subjects now disdain your football league with a passion.

:eek: :confused: :dielaugh: :howler:

·
Registered
46,435 Posts
Why are the EPL fans so obsessed with the English football haters?
I noticed that you cannot really distinguish the pure bash from the reasonable remarks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Where I live the sports channels and papers try to shove the EPL down my throat.
I'm sure it's like that in lots of other places around the world.
The coverage and promotion of the EPL is much more aggressive than that of La Liga and Serie A.
Maybe covering for the difference in quality and maybe just want to conquer the market (or both), but that's the case and I'm starting to get sick of it.

Besides the EPL with their money attract talented players from elsewhere and thus lower the level of the game in Europe, without significantly increasing their own level.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts