Xtratime Community banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Super
4,283 Posts
Like I have said before, they are all impressive. The truth is Phelps can't win 3 gold medals in Track and Field while Bolt can't win 8 gold medals in swimming.

·
*the drum drum*
42,491 Posts
Like I have said before, they are all impressive. The truth is Phelps can't win 3 gold medals in Track and Field while Bolt can't win 8 gold medals in swimming.
What does that matter? It doesn't mean anything in the context of this thread, unless you also want to judge who's better at table tennis, who can cook a better meal or who can throw a better party.

P.S - Bolt on the party, Phelps on the cooking, he should have good experience when it comes to food with his 4,000 calorie meals compared to Bolt's chicken nuggets.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Still think Bolt owns the title - given his potential and especially for just the way he won it. It's just out of this world. Phelps, no doubt, is amazing too. Amazing achievement but Bolt is really something else.

As for media coverage in the US, I understand that Bolt's 100m performance at least was elevator music to Phelps' glory. Whereas the 100m usually grabs front page headlines in some form. Hell, Ben Johnson did. ;) And that was before the legend, Carl Lewis, rightfully claimed his gold medal.

Bolt has gotten some ink in the States, but I happen to live in the neighborhood where Phelps grew up (no I do not know him or have ever seen him) and you can not turn around without seeing some Phelps related press.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Firdaus is actually incorrect. While the first week in the US was totally Phelps, the second week has been all about Bolt, on the broadcast as well as what people talk about outside of the living room, at work, etc. etc.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
True. I thinl people can relate more to track than swimming, so Bolt's records are impressive. Everybody has run fast or treid to as some point, but how many people have done the breast stroke or the butterfly for more than two feet?

·
*the drum drum*
42,491 Posts
I just don't think swimming is that big a deal in the States.

The only place I can imagine it's really a big deal is Australia, and that's because half the countries medals come from swimming. If Australia had a track team on par with it's swimming team, like the U.S. traditionally does, then it wouldn't be all that big a deal here either.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Nobody really talks about track or swimming in the US unless the Olympics are on. Track is a second sport for many athletes of other sports mainly, I think, to maintain and improve fitness and speed/power during the offseason.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Course it's been done before. Spitz basically did the exact same thing give or take one medal so it's not that unprescedented.

Bolt re-wrote the textbook on sprinting. Obliterating the world records set in front of him (one which was viewed as unbreakable) and all this without running aids like the swimmers have.

The only place Phelps is bigger than Bolt is in the US, everywhere else it's Bolt.
No it has not, give or take 1 medal is not the same..Just b/c you enjoy a guy running for 9 seconds more than a guy swimming for a minute or so does not mean its a better accomplishment..And yeah...im sure the track record was viewed as unbreakable(same could be said for Spitz)...until it was broken. :rolleyes:...Running aids...What swimming aid did Phelps have swimming 17 races in so many days and winning all of them, competing against guys who practiced 4 years in one discipline in one distance and he beat all of em. Maybe Phelps should of swam with a weight on his neck in order to impress some of you since your more impressed with the "aid" that he was wearing. Swimming gets no coverage at all in the US, and neither does track and field. Im going by his medal count and the way he performed at the Olympics. Trying to discredit what he did proves nothing, b/c you cant.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Nobody really talks about track or swimming in the US unless the Olympics are on.
Even in non-Olympic years the swimmers get pretty good coverage here. Like, it's not that far off football coverage in Europe or other sports in the US. The world championships, for example, always get shown on primetime commercial networks here.

I think swimming is a rubbish spectacle to be honest. Yet for some utterly strange reason it rates stupidly high in this country.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Who said Bolt was ordinary? He's sickeningly fast. In today';s sport culture anytime anybody does something incredible it is am immediate quesiton of doping. Imagine the stink Bob Beamon would have had when he broke the existing long jump record by some two feet!!

Not all athletes are cheats and personally I choose to assume they are not until somebody proves otherwise. If you assume anybody who does anything great is cheating then why bother watching anymore?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
In the US the way people talked about Bolt it felt like he was a US athlete...when obviously he wasn't. That itself shows you how he dominated coverage in the second week. It was great. Phelps-Bolt, Joint Kings

·
Super
4,283 Posts
I watched Phelps because the media was talking about him winning 8 goals, something no other swimmers have done before. So it's cool to see him breaking the record.

I watched Bolt because sprinting has always been one of the major attractions in Track and Field. Bolt certainly didn't disappoint anyone. No contest! It's basically him against the clock.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts