Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
saw this discussion in some other forum, where people suggested the answer might be Jordan...I was a bit sceptical at first, but searching advanced stats a bit, it seems legit that he might indeed have been at least close...the only defensive guard better than him who I could find was Tony Allen:

Jordan's key advanced defensive stats (Bulls only/career):

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.636/1.54
defensive box plus/minus: +1.3/1.1

Tony Allen:

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.66
defensive box plus/minus: +2.2

some other top defensive guards:

Dwayne Wade

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.34
defensive box plus/minus: +1.1

Chris Paul

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.34
defensive box plus/minus: +0.7

Historical greats:

Sidney Moncrief:

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.25
defensive box plus/minus: +0.6

Walt Frazier

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.45
defensive box plus/minus: +0.9 (73/74 to 79/80, no stats available before)

Gary Payton (Seattle years only/career)

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.11/1.04
defensive box plus/minus: +0.2/0.0

meanwhile Kobe (who is also considered a great defender for some reason, even though he pretty much stopped playing it years ago):

defensive win shares per 1000 minutes played: 1.04
defensive box plus/minus: -0.6 (in the negative for 14 out of his 20 NBA seasons)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Yea, besides the obvious pick of Jordan I would have said Allen. Gary Payton was great defensively. Unfortunately size does play a huge role in this, which leaves them sometimes in the dark with only steals. Stockton comes to mind. Mookie Blaylock was immense for his size.

When Kobe wanted, he could defend, but he was far too sporadic. Only played defense when he thought he was being challenged. Here are some of his best blocks
92doiYpoJ-8

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I see no love for Michael Cooper here. One of the best defensive players in the best era of the NBA (80s). The only non-starter to win DPOY in NBA history. Hugely underrated and extremely versatile wing player who can play PG/SG/SF coming off the bench. Larry Bird calls him the hardest player to score against :proud: :thumbsup:

Edit: It's a crime Coop didn't win any 6th man of the year award!

v7K-oa2bDFY

1 - 3 of 3 Posts