Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the big 3 have re-enforced themselves...which team is looking like they can take the championship?

Personally, I love what Benfica and Sporting have done.
Sporting got some very good players in Joao Pinto and Bento, plus Mahon. They lose Duscher, Vidigal(most likely) and might hang on to Beto.
Benfica has kept their best players from last year Sabry, Nuno, Enke, Calado, and Poborsky(ok not so good last year) They went out and got Meira, Dudic, Marchena, Van Hoo(can't spell his last name and are dealing for Dani and possibly Veneditis(defender from PAOK) Great talent for the defense and defensive midfield...shored up their attack with Van Hoo. I like our chances...

Porto has lost the chicken that laid the golden eggs (Jardel)...but they still have Clayton, Capucho, Drulovic, and if Deco can regain his form they will still be dangerous. They have a tremendous defense and if they can keep a healthy Baia will also be tough. They're in the process of getting some midfield help but can they come up with someone to score goals...although I know Clayton can do this!

I think this year the Big 3 will all do well internationaly and should be as competitive for the title as this past year but with Benfica taking it all this time...just my opinion. :)

What are yours?

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Porto is ready

It looks like Porto will use the big dollars they got from Jardel to sign the following:

1. Alenitchev from Perugia...so good...so very good....Who was that Slovenian guy? :D

2. Some Leandro kid from Brazil. He is supposed to be called up to the Brazil Olympic team.

3. I forgot his name...but I think he is the 1st choice keeper for Portugal :D

4. I also forgot his name....but he plays in Braga and is the future first choice for Portugal :D

If Deco is healthy......watch out :)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Well...her are my two tustoes.

The Redskins are trying to buy a SuperBowl. They better get it this year or the next 'cuz they have mortgaged they're whole house to do it. I expect them to tank and suffer for the next decade because of the unwise spending on big names that are way beyond their prime.

The Giants, once again, did nothing to help themselves. They, like every year, continue to tread water. Ron Dayne is another 1st round bust, to go along the long history of Giant RB first round busts. No evidence that the alcoholic Nazi, Kerry Collins, can help a team with out a decent offensive line and a first rate receiver. The defense is one year older, with a degrading back field.

The Cowgirls are so washed up they should be drained to the toilet. The only ones who fail to see it are the Cowgirl fans.

The Crudnals have lost key players on Defense, and the Offense goes where the Jake the Snake goes. If Jake has another season like last, the Crudnals will be competing with the Cowturds for last place in the NFC East.

The Eagles, of course, will be competing with the Skinz for the division title. The addition of Corey Simon completes the Defense, who will lead the league in forced turnovers again. The addition of second round pick WR Pinkston gives Donovan Mcnabb the weapon he needs. Key Free agent acquisitions with the like of John Runyan, Stanley Pritchett, the Eagles are a young and talented team on the rise for the next decade.

Hmmm....something tells me I'm in the wrong forum.

uhh, what???

Oh! This is a Soccer forum! I see...

In that case...I'll go with what RedEagle said. Yep. RedEagle...Yeah. What he said. :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey redeagle i thought that according to u pinto was crap and as 4 mahon being good he used to play 4 tranmere and not even regularly according to what ive heard, but on the whole i do think sporting r stronger and if they get sabrosa and sa pinto they will be even stronger, but duscher leaving and vidigal lokking likely to leave i think they will be big losses.
As for porto jardel is half the team and although espinha and ovthinikov r good but they r not baia.
Although porto in my opion r severly weakened, sporting r slightly improved and benfica r on paper improved.
But although benfica r meant to be improved by spending so much money i think we can have a repeat scenario of when artur jorge took over with all these apparently excellent and really expensive players, paulo nunes..the next brazilian prodigy etc. and the season was a cock up,(i hope im wrong though) i must say though that i have been impresed with meira, carlitos and miguel signings and although i have heard good reports on the foreigners ive also heard it so many times before.
Then the money now before we went on this spending spree we were about 10 million contos in debt and all i can think of is that we have one hell of a big overdraft, remember it was only about 2 years ago we were on the verge of bankruptcy and on the verge to be shut down.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Leandro is ours....I don't know anything on this guy

S

·
0 Posts
Don't forget Pavel Horvath who SCP signed today although I've never heard of him! Is he any good anyone know! Is this the same Leandro that was on Sporting about 2yrs ago? I know for sure we had a Leandro 2yrs ago then we sold him back to Palmares(I think) in Brazil! Hey Pila whats wrong with Ron Dayne? I wish he was around when the patriots picked! I think the patriots will be better with Belichick as coach!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not the same Leandro. There are so many Brazilian players that there are ten to each name. Think about all the Juniors.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
no a different Leandro

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
well..I am looking good of course...oops...sorry we are talking about futebol ;)

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My contention about JVP is that he's over rated and he was crap last year for Benfica....We'll see what he does for Sporting...but he was at one point a very good player...so Sporting bought him for his past and his euro performance which was ok!

Pila is hitting the pipe again.....every year he says the samething...and the Eagles wind up 5-11!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
If Ron Dayne can do something and we let Payton call the plays all year, Sehorn rebounds and Kerry keeps throwing like he was late last year the Giants will finish 10-6 and get a WC berth.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marco for some reason you and I are on same page when it comes to the Giants! :D

I can easily see the Giants taking out France in Tokyo! :D

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
RedEagle:

I am a giant New York Giants fan (pardon the pun :D)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Smoking the pipe, indeed.

10-6 for the Giants, huh! I needs me some of them, there, rose colored glasses (or the drugs ya smokin) yuze guys be wearin.

Ron Dayne couldn't carry Natrone Means' jock if they taped it to his helmet. The guy lacks any significant speed and quickness to be a threat in the NFL. And for a big guy, he's extremely soft, as well. I think he'll find the NFL a little different then the college ranks. To add insult to your RB and QB problems, Charles Way retires and the offesnsive line got older and sh1ttier. And, probably the worse news yet, is the fact that that racist Kollins is staying off the bottle. Atleast when he was hitting the bottle (in North Carolina) he was playing well. It was all down hill from there.

On defense, you guys let go your best defensive player in Bradzke(SP) go. Strahan had a horrible year. I think it's gonna get worse without Bradzke for Strahan. Sehorn was getting beat by the likes of second rate receivers all year. I don't think he's the same guy that he was before the injury.

The Giants, once again, will battle the Crudnals and the Cowturds for mediocrity, at best.

Now, pass the pipe. ;)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
but the Eagles are well......the Eagles....they will always suck....

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Let's face it: no matter what the sport, Marcoa just hates Eagles :D !

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
YAWN YAWN YAWN

You Yanks are getting a bit boring...come on now...not all of us live in an environment surrounded by fat people, baseball, school masacres and Ricky Lake :)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Watch it, bloke!

I can take the fat joke, the Massacre and Baseball references.

But, Ricky Lake??? You crossed the line there, pal. ;)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
YAWN YAWN YAWN

MY FELLOW PORTISTA BEAR IN MIND THAT I AM NOT A YANKEE, I LIVE TO THE NORTH OF USA IN THE FRENCH SECTOR OF CANADA, IN THE WORLDS 2nd GREATEST CITY (PORTO IS EASILY #1) MONTREAL!!!!

thank you,

and have a nice day
From Canada

the Dragao Canadiano

[Edited by Marcoa on 11-07-2000 at 00:29]

1 - 20 of 45 Posts