Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or will we stick to our #65?

Many names got spoken out or got written down in the last 24 hours. Some decent ones, some crazy ones and the only thing which is clear so far is: We won't get a coach with whom everyone will be satisfied with. Nope. Never. Not here. :D

The press conference today gave the clear answer that we will not get a new coach within a few days. The Bundesliga break because of the World Cup qualifiers will be used to look around, make negotiations, think about the situation once, twice and probably a third time and then we will see what comes out. From the list of possible new coaches my favourites would be Finke, Slomka and Wolf.

But will we get a new coach or will the current #65 on the bench be the final solution? Michael Oenning played the quiet part over the last 6 months. Today was the first time that I saw him doing an interview here in Nürnberg. So for me the press conference was quite interesting (watch it here). In my opinion he has left a good impression of a clear analyzer of the situation, but he also made hints that it takes some time to get to the core, to find out why "we all want the same, but [we] don't act like that". That sounds like February '08? In a way yes. But the most important factor is that Oenning appears as if he wants to find out why the situation is like it is right now together with the team, and not dictate his plan.
He also says that he fully backs the combination of the team and it's not that he is totally new to the situation. Surely, he is here since the week TvH arrived here. And they made the work together over the summer. What makes Oenning different to other assistant coaches is that he isn't the typical assistant. This was the first job together with TvH, so although they worked together for our club, it isn't sure that they had the same opinion about every single detail. And that could be his bonus. The press wrote that he his accepted by the team and that they reckon his way of working with them. Ok, if that's the coach with which this bunch of players wants to work... here he is.

I think it's good that he gets his chance on Sunday, and I get the feeling that he could also be a solution for the rest of the season. Surely, he only has this one game. When we play like last Monday we will get a new coach, that's football. Sad for Oenning, sad for us and a shame for the team. This is the last time that these players can show that they want to play here, that they want to give their best for this club.
How did Oenning put it today... "it's unique how strong this region identifies itself with this football club, that's a huge pledge". This is what the players have to get into their brain, especially the old ones. Surely, TvH wasn't the right man, he never arrived here totally, but we're all waiting for a sign from the players since.. yeah, well... since that day in Berlin. I'm aware that I exclude the UEFA Cup games.

Again, right now I have the feeling that Oenning could be the right man. We will see...

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And it's official. Michael Oenning is our new coach. The contract runs until the end of the season (for now) and he will appoint a new assistant coach next week.

Good decision.. and now the team is in duty bound. Whoever gets his preferred coach has to play like that. No more excuses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts