Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Barca

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I voted for Inter/Ajax, cuz if Inter make it through, I want an opportunity to play Juve again this year for revenge.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Villareal.. cos I miss tacch.. I rather have tach kill us than Miccoli.. :D

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I don't believe in all this "we're more motivated and play better against the greatest" tripe :finger: :howler: .

If there are teams that are clearly less stong and deep in quality; less obviously equipped to present problems for us as regards playing style and attributes of their players - then I'll always prefer those teams to the ones we would outright consider to have an even chance of winning the tie - or in the case of for instance Barca more than even considering their form and ours.

Benfica I've seen several times this season, and I just cannot imagine a team among the ones left being less well positioned to present problems for us. Their strenghts and weaknesses play right into ours, and even if we present ourselves in our worst "Euro-shape" I am unable to see, how we can avoid winning such a tie. Should we take a more positive approach and imagine that we suit up in good shape, with Capello's preferred formation and tactical dispositions even - we are going to whip them. Something I never for a moment expected with Werder which was one of the teams that was always going to be troublesome for us.

Other than Benfica (and Miccoli :fero: :ass: ;) ) I think Villareal is quite obviously an opponent where we should expect to win, even if their style could be poisonous for us if Forlan has one of those days where he not only gets on the end of Riquelme's aweinspiring passes, but also finishes the job off.
Arsenal would be OK, as they want to attack, but haven't got much physique down the middle. We see it in the PL, how they can be dominated in this area, and with Emerson present and it being hard to imagine Vieira wanting to stink it up like against Bremen when facing his old team - that would be a good draw too I think, although of course Arsenal is an opponent that also has some of the tools to really hurt us (genuine pace in particular).
Inter is a good draw too, as we have their number and to be honest one would expect them to selfdestruct on this stage, in the event we cannot do the job ourselves :D .

Lyon.... I would actually really like to see those games even if they surely have the style, individuals and solidity to present real problems for us. A tough draw for sure, but one I'd be somewhat pleased with as well. Lyon hasn't really met a giant in knock outs before and I'd be curious to see how Le Toad and his men handles that.

Milan... obviously Milan must be respected for their European pedigree, and their team has all the weapons needed to give us hell. Just like is the case the other way around. Personally - I'm split between really, really wanting to boot their arses out, and really, really not wanting to lose out to them.

Barca... most imaginative and delightful football in the world. Period. Puyol will miss the first and Messi will miss both with injury, so perhaps it's not a bad time to draw them, but their style of play is everything we do not want to meet. Their midfield pressure is even more aggressive than Werder's, their individuals at the back much more solid individually, and they have absolutely outrageous individual talent to unlock us, even when we stand firm and competent in defence. Of course - they give up chances and I'm sure we're one of - if not the single worst - opponent they can imagine too. But I really think it is Barca's to win this season, and if we are to lose (a final) against anyone, I would prefer it to be Ronaldinho (who is IMPOSSIBLE not to love :star: ) hoisting the cup.
...and I would also like Capello to get a second crack at a CL final where he'd be the underdog in the media against Barca. Sometimes history repeats itself :).

·
Registered
522 Posts
i personally think a lot of the teams would actually love meeting Juventus in the next round...

milan... if juve walks away with the scudetto (as most would expect), milan would be happy to kick our asses in europe, even if they don't win the trophy itself...

inter.... the same as inter, especially when we did the double over them in the league...

arsenal.... what better way to tell vieira that he made a big mistake leaving them by beating juve in europe?

villareal.... tacchinardi

benfica.... miccoli

.... i wouldn't mind meeting any other team. but i would love juventus to meet milan in europe....

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lyon.... I would actually really like to see those games even if they surely have the style, individuals and solidity to present real problems for us. A tough draw for sure, but one I'd be somewhat pleased with as well. Lyon hasn't really met a giant in knock outs before and I'd be curious to see how Le Toad and his men handles that.
Juninho is out for the 1st match cuz of suspension also :)

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Gimme Barca!

As absurd as it may sound...

1st - if we beat em now, IMO, from then on till the end of the CL there's gonna be sth like a hype-aura surrounding us and giving us wings and pushing us right to the cup-lifting no matter who are we gonna face later. So, winning against Barca would mean a lot not only in terms of passing to the semi-finals.

2nd - if we are to be wiped out it wouldnt mean that much in regards to our ego-blasting as we can still say 'Barca are the best out there. No shame about that. We can continue to workd hard', what eventually, and I hope for it, will bring some changes in the structure that has been kept over the last 5 years. To be precise - I dream about a real playmaker who can controll the game, up-down, down-up tempo, knowing when and how to pass, some technique in order to create space and some flair. Basics.

Of course winning a CL is priority to all our wishes about the playstyle in the next 5 years or so, but if we were not to win it, then the only positive thing would be to be thrown out by Barca.

p.s. putting that sick logic aside - Benfica sounds not that bad.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Ive got an honest view that these will be the QF's

Arsenal v Inter
Juventus v Villareal
Lyon v Barcelona
Milan v Benfica

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Virgo said:
amazing that we beat Liverpool 3 - 0 on aggregate and no one still gives us a tiny shred of credit
i give you credit. :)
watched you already twice in champions cup finals and i want you to win this one.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I would love it for Miccoli to score the winner v Juve if they met :)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts