Xtratime Community banner

Who would you prefer to coach SLB next season?

• António Oliveira

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carlos Queirós

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Fernando Santos

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Humberto Coelho

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Jaime Pacheco

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Jesualdo Ferreira

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luis Pedro asked me to post this poll.

Discuss...

M

·
0 Posts
I would most like to see Jaime Pacheco but Coelho did well with the NT in Euro 2000 and Fernando Santos is doing well with AEK Athens.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I haven't seen Humberto coaching a club in the last years, so I don't have a concrete opinion about a possible move to SLB. One thing I appreciate in him: it seems he doesn't like to invent new positions and new players like Oliveira does; it also seems he brings some defensive strictness in his teams. However, there are few teams with the offensive power to take the hard job as Portugal took in Euro'00 and previous qualifying matches.

Carlos Queirós is not a bad coach at all, but he has a lot of difficulties to handle with players.

Oliveira it's the worse choice you can imagine. Not only counting on what he worths as coach and man, but also in the things he said about Benfica some years ago at FC Porto.

I'm quite sick of Pacheco's words of false modesty and I don't like him. Besides their team in these last years is physically well prepared I don't enjoy them playing football (Boavista's training schedule is programmed by Fac. Motricidade and they rarely touch a ball in the week as they're always training fitness - FC Porto quit a similar schedule with Fernando Santos and they brought Roger Spry). More than winning I like teams playing short one/two touch football and not kick and rush with tackles and tackles - this is not an ordinary club and believe when Benfica can settle roles and players with Jesualdo on the helm it would be very hard to beat our game.

Fernando Santos should stay in Athens but with greeks we never know.

Jesualdo is doing a great job there and he put Benfica playing with some identity and excellent goal scoring average. He's more experienced than any other and has an offensive speech I appreciate much. Players like him much and knows how to talk, he has character and that should be highly considered. A new coach next season means a new season planning and new methods - it can't continue that way forever, the club needs to learn it once and for all.

I choose Jesualdo but I'm not very sure if he's going to continue there.

P.S: As LadyEagle said, I proposed her to make this poll. I named these 5 because any of them is a very probable chance (some more than others) and I don't see any out of these who can be on the verge to sign.

·
International
5,629 Posts
They all suck! Some suck more than the others. The suckiest of them all is Oliveira, with Jesualdo a close second. Queiros is not a coach, but a developmental genius. Coelho sucks because he's too defensive, although he's not a bad motivator. Pacheco is the best motivator out of all these guys but tactically he also tends to play defensively. Santos is another one who sucks because he's too defensive.

If I had to take one of these sucky coaches I would take Pacheco. At least I know that Benfica would show up every day to play, unlike what I've seen this season with both Toni and Jesualdo at the helm.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
For the first time in a long time, RedEagle has plenty of reason to dislike jesualdo. The Santa Clara performance was one fo the most uninspiring play I have ever seen from this team. The two guys running the hardest, trying the most, playing best were substituted. Why in hell did he substitute Ednilson (who was clearly teh best player on the pitch) and Miguel when they were doing all the work?

Special mention for their especially horrendous uninspired play should go to Zahovic (who stood around watching Santa Clara and his team mates run) and Drulo (who lost everyball he touched).

It's those two that should have been subbed in the first 30 minutes of play as soon as it became evident they didn't wanna play.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Could you be more specific?

All of the coaches mentioned are defensive minded. They all coach not to lose, a serious detriment imo. What stands them apart from one another with the exception of Queiroz, is their ability to get the best out of their players and in that context, Pacheco is head and shoulders above the rest.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Pacheco brings results and accountability from his players, by far what Benfica lacks the most.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm curious, tell me who is your favourite to coach, out of this list.

What I can say is that it's good to know Jesualdo is defensive minded, that's why Benfica has nearly 2,5 goals per match.

Miguel and Ednilson, in my opinion, were the worse along with Drulovic and Zahovic.

Throwing blaims to Jesualdo it's ridiculous, but I guess you prefer the bald man to end the match and blame referees and injuries.

·
International
5,629 Posts
LuisPedroCat said:
I'm curious, tell me who is your favourite to coach, out of this list.

What I can say is that it's good to know Jesualdo is defensive minded, that's why Benfica has nearly 2,5 goals per match.

Miguel and Ednilson, in my opinion, were the worse along with Drulovic and Zahovic.

Throwing blaims to Jesualdo it's ridiculous, but I guess you prefer the bald man to end the match and blame referees and injuries.

This is precisely my point on Jesualdo. The guy is defensive minded and the team still can't defend because he can't utilize the players he has to the best of their abilities. Not only that he is a lousy motivator. I've seen Benfica more flat during his tenure, than the 4 tires in my car in the past 5 years.

Case in point, Argel. This guy is a nightmare to manage, undisciplined to the max even with his own companions and yet he continues to start.

The defensive midfield balancing act is even more atrocious. But that's already been discussed. Furthermore Jesualdo is scared to sub his veterans, ala Toni. Drulo is NOT a 90 minute player and yet he continues to play 90 minutes. I mean it's obvious to everyone except him????

I don't like any of the coaches on the list, with the exception of Pacheco whom I respect, simply because his team shows up to play hard every Sunday. He also doesn't pamper players, which is exactly the injection Benfica needs. Ideally imo the coach who should be at Benfica is Mourinho, but managament let him slip under their noses.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Mourinho :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

No way was that managements fault. Red are you forgetting the bs he tried to pull, Im with management on that call - no coach will eva give Benfica ultimatums; plus he really has no record to speak of. His so called coaching genius is pure speculation, myth even.

He should have stuck by his results that where good at the time, instead of trying to bully management into complying with his wishes. Theres no-way we would have got rid of him if he continued performing - it was his pathetic move that sent him packing to that stink hole he finds himself in now.

·
International
5,629 Posts
OG BENFIQUISTA said:
Mourinho :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

No way was that managements fault. Red are you forgetting the bs he tried to pull, Im with management on that call - no coach will eva give Benfica ultimatums; plus he really has no record to speak of. His so called coaching genius is pure speculation, myth even.

He should have stuck by his results that where good at the time, instead of trying to bully management into complying with his wishes. Theres no-way we would have got rid of him if he continued performing - it was his pathetic move that sent him packing to that stink hole he finds himself in now.
I'm not talking about after the Benfica coaching stint. I agree with you on management's position there. I'm referring to the management pursued him this year and then let him go to Porto. That was a bad move imo. And let's cut the crap. They guy can coach. He coached well at Benfica, and at Leiria. And just watch Porto next year.

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
I voted for Pacheco. His teams aren't the prettiest, but he gets results. For those who complain that he plays a physical style, I would counter that he coachesto his talent's strength. Whether or not he would be more offensive minded with Benfica would have to be seen. The club has always put offense above defense, so it would be philosophical change for all.
At the very least, he would produce a back line that we could be proud of.

Jesualdo has not impressed with this current test. The team is struggling to compete without Simao. While Simao is a great player, he did not fly or walk on water. He needs to get this team focused on the rest of the season.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Out of this list, I went with Coelho. Pacheco's done a fantastic job at the Bessa, but as everyone's discussed here already, he's defensive minded and that just doesn't fly at SLB. Besides, it's easier to crack the whip with players who make the minimum than it is to have to deal with big egos and the salaries that go with them as would be the case at Benfica. On top of all that, we all know what it means in Portugal to be the trainer of Benfica. Pacheco could win 6 out of his first 7 games, lose the 7th on a questionable call and every daily in Lisboa would be calling for his head the next day. He's been flying under the radar in Oporto to a certain extent and I'm not sure how he'd handle the pressure of the Luz.

As for my Coelho selection, I think he has/had the best overall philosophy re: his system. Granted, most coaches could win as he did at Euro 2000 with the players he had, but don't think it didn't take a certain finesse to handle all the egos on that squad or the intense spotlight of training the "Best Team That Never Won Anything". Training that squad at that time is a good test for the daily pressure of running the show at SLB. Besides - he prefers two trincos and we know we have plenty of those! :rollani::D As an extra bonus, he's done as the trainer for Morrocco now, isn't he?

Jesualdo - he filled in admirably mid-season for Toni, but I think he's a victim of being known to the players as an assistant. How many times have we seen this before in sports? A head coach is released mid-season, and the assistant steps in through the end of the year. The players don't respond because he's still "the Assistant Coach" in their mind. I think the way the team has (or more specifically, hasn't) responded to Jesualdo is proof of this. I like him, but I don't think he's a long-term fit for Benfica.

Truth be told - I think the time is right to go outside Portugal for a trainer. I think Heynckes would have been far more successful if Vilarinho were in charge during his tenure vs. JVA. I'm not sure about Souness, but LFV & Vilarinho wouldn't have allowed him to Anglosize the team as Souness did to begin with, in contrast to JVA, who bought all the Brits Souness wanted, then turned around and complained to the media for not playing Portuguese players.

As such, I'd like to see them attract someone like a Mourinho who's training in a top-third team in La Liga. Someone who's used to playing a more creative style of futbol, but would be willing to take on a big-name job like Benfica. I'm thinking of someone like Victor Fernandez (Celta Vigo) or Juande Ramos (Real Betis). Both are in the final year of their respective contracts. Ramos particularly interests me because he preaches a ball-control game with everything starting (where else?!) in the back.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Pacheco ... regarding what he did for Boavista he's pure magic. :star:

·
Registered
642 Posts
RedEagle said:

I'm not talking about after the Benfica coaching stint. I agree with you on management's position there. I'm referring to the management pursued him this year and then let him go to Porto. That was a bad move imo. And let's cut the crap. They guy can coach. He coached well at Benfica, and at Leiria. And just watch Porto next year.
Righteo - still I think hes given more credit than hes worth, considering he hasnt won bubkus.

I vote Jesulado for consistencies sake, i hate seeing too coaches per season at Benfica. Otherwise Id chose Coelho cause hes a true Benfiquista plus I like the dude.

·
Registered
642 Posts
RedEagle said:

Righteo - still I think hes given more credit than hes worth, considering he hasnt won bubkus. He talks too much **** too IMO

I vote Jesulado for consistencies sake, i hate seeing too coaches per season at Benfica. Otherwise Id chose Coelho cause hes a true Benfiquista plus I like the dude.

M

·
0 Posts
Pacheco made Boavista a formidable force in Europe. Obviously They dont have the resources to become a major force but what he did was a colossal achievement. Like many people have said he gets results which is definately what Benfica need coming into these close end of season run ins.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts