Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well who is everyone gonna cheer for?

I'm gonna be cheering for Germany- simply because Europe has to win one cup outside of Europe for once. And the fact that they came from being beaten by England in the qualifyers 5-1 is quite heretic. But, I wouldnt be surprised if Brazil won..

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Well I'll be cheering for Brazil, since there the closest thing we got to Portugal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
no doubt i will be back "ze Germans"

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
For some reason I am going to tip the Nazi's to beat Gay Portugal by the odd goal 1-0 , condemning Brazil to there 3rd goalless WC final in a row ;)
BTW I dont really give a sh!t who wins

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
How can you guys NOT back Brazil. I understand that Lomes has a distaste for Brazil. Everyone else?

I have always liked Brazil. Not just the beautiful and friendly people but the football is the best in the world.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
For me, this is a no brainer. I despise the German team. There's no team I hate more and Brazil has always been my favorite outside the teams I back for patriotic and heritage reasons. So, for me it's Brazil all the way.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Fee-Go said:
How can you guys NOT back Brazil. I understand that Lomes has a distaste for Brazil. Everyone else?

I have always liked Brazil. Not just the beautiful and friendly people but the football is the best in the world.
I dont have a distaste for Brazil ( aka GP )IMO Germany dont have alot of skill but by far are the most disciplined team in the WC. There defence is tightand they have there set plays down pact aswell , Brazil on the other hand look shaky down the back , & also should be scoring more goals than they should. Germany will have to make Brazil take there chances cause if they are as wasteful as they have so far... It will be 3 straight scoreless WC finals for them !!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I agree, while Brazil has scored more goals than anybody, they have also had a a hard time converting against organized teams like Belgium and Turkey. It was moments of brilliance (Ronaldo v Turkey and Rivaldo's gem v Belgium) that got them through. Germany is the most determined and efficient team ever, so they will be very tough. I would not be surprised if they stole a 1-0 victory, as much as it sickens me to type such a thing.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
No 'if's or 'but's about it, I'll be rooting for Brazil. Brazilians are our cousins, but with personality. I admire the Brazilian culture and its people (whom are easily one of the brightest people on the planet). Their dynamic personality are reflected on the pitch, making it one of the most entertaining to watch. I have nothing against the German team or its people, but the Portuguese historical ties to Brazil makes them family, and family always comes first.

Ironically, what makes the Brazilian team extremely dangerous is also what makes them vulnerable to a well structured team like the Germans. The unpreditable dynamics of the Brazilian attack are nothing but chaotic street ball where practically the entire squad freelances forward... it works because of the overwhelming number of talented players relative to their opposition. However, that has potential for exploitation... something a desciplined and structurely solid built team may be able to do... such as the Germans.

I'm with Dae on this. I think the Germans are going to pull out a victory. 2-1, perhaps.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Pila said:

Ironically, what makes the Brazilian team extremely dangerous is also what makes them vulnerable to a well structured team like the Germans. The unpreditable dynamics of the Brazilian attack are nothing but chaotic street ball where practically the entire squad freelances forward... it works because of the overwhelming number of talented players relative to their opposition. However, that has potential for exploitation... something a desciplined and structurely solid built team may be able to do... such as the Germans.

Very well said. That's exactly how I see it. Brazil's brilliance comes from having anybody going forward to attack (from striker to center back), but the lack of organization can leave them open to a controlled counterattack. Germany lives for such things.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
On Sunday? I'll be cheering Oliveria's decision to put his job on the line! Oh!!!?? The game? Well Brazil of course.

How can you be Portuguese and cheer for the Germans? What's next a preference for schnitzel?

Even if I knew nothing about the two teams, I'd go for Brazil just based on their last game against Turkey. They are a crazy bunch of guys. They play, playfully, almost with joy. I love that image of Denilson loping towards the corner trying to out dribble 4 attacking and pissed off Turks. Hilarious.

Germany is by comparison, organized, hard working, and
B O R I N G!!!!! That game against Korea? Not bad, but absolutely no skill on display. The semi-final of the World Cup and not one player on the field to make your heart beat faster.

GO BRAZIL!!!!!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Although I feel Brazil has been somewhat helped by the refs in this WC, against Turkey and England they were magnificent. THey combine the pressing discipline that Scolari instilled, with the flair they have up front in the three R's. Rivaldo has had a great tournament imo. For this specific reason I like them to beat the Germans.

Another reason why I feel they'll hammer the Germans, is the absence of Ballack in the final. Although Kahn has been great, Ballack is the man that makes the Germans tick up front. He's wonderfully skilled, and deadly accurate. Ashame.

Aside from that, I don't very much like the Brazilian futebol fan in general. THey come across as obnoxious and ignorant. I still remember them saying after France completely took them apart in 98, how the French bought the cup, and the Brazilian squad to boot. How NIKE forced Ronaldo to play. They don't accept defeat at all. And with regards to this team, they crucified Scolari and Rivaldo throughout the qualification stages, and let's not even talk about the exclusion of Romario.

Scolari and Voeller have proven that they are indeed some of the best coaches the world has to offer. Scolari should be hailed as a hero in Brazil, for having the persistency to put up with their crap, and to make the finals to boot with his own methods.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tinto said:
How can you be Portuguese and cheer for the Germans? What's next a preference for schnitzel?
I'm cheering them on as a European.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:

I'm cheering them on as a European.
I'd cheer for anyone in Europe except Germany. Sorry, not a fan of Colonel Klink Voller nor anyone else. I also don't want to cheer for Brasil because they don't like us Pork Chops. Nevertheless, I just want a good final, that's all.

·
Registered
240 Posts
personally i like the both teams......Brazil is absolutly amazing at football, thats their sport, Germany has got the height for those headers which is what i love most about football is those goals that are headed in, they are just beautiful to watch. so i will not care who wins, just watching these two great teams go at it will be alot of fun!

·
Registered
314 Posts
If I had a gun to my head and had to cheer for one, I'd definatly cheer for Germany too, just because everytime I've talked to a Brazilian, they have to pull out the Portuguese jokes about us being stupid. :rolleyes: Which can get really annoying since it's THEIR country with all the fuggin' problems...

Also, Germans from Germany, not the one's who grew up in N.A., are the nicest and most sincere people I've ever met...

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
::shinji:: said:
If I had a gun to my head and had to cheer for one, I'd definatly cheer for Germany too, just because everytime I've talked to a Brazilian, they have to pull out the Portuguese jokes about us being stupid. :rolleyes: Which can get really annoying since it's THEIR country with all the fuggin' problems...

Also, Germans from Germany, not the one's who grew up in N.A., are the nicest and most sincere people I've ever met...
For every Brazilian joke of the Portuguese, there's one Portuguese of the Brazilians. This is all done in good fun - those who take it to heart are an indication of their own insecurities.

I guess what confuses me about this mentality is this tendency to link a country's collective deficiencies with its culture. I mean, if you have trouble differentiating the two, than perhaps it explains why you'd get offended by jokes that goof on Portuguese intelligence. You know, the whole "if the shoe fits... (etc)" thingy.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
my parents and grandparents have always instilled in me the importance of our relationship with Brasil...i've been brought up accepting Brasil as a cousin...so here are my reasons for Brasil

first...they are our cousins...we have ties there as they have ties to Portugal...

two....their futebol is the best brand to watch in the world....no other nation brings the "beautiful" in the beautiful game as do Brasil....

and finally....the women in bikinis....if brasil wins i can look forward to watching many of nice a$$es on college street.....hmmmm there is nothing better than watching a beautiful woman half naked shaking that a$$....

let's go Brasil....bring on those a$$es

1 - 20 of 35 Posts