Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Its going to be a tough choice. :rollani:. None of the plyers have been particularly outstanding till now. Anyway the Champions league and the next season is coming up, so its anybody's go....:stress: .

I think Ronaldo or Rivaldo is a good bet. But lets wait and see.

BTW.
Hierro, Tomasson
Why have u got these guys in the list. :eekani: :rollani: . they don't have an outside chance to win it.

Ciao

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
BTW, Intending no offence :) , This thread is for the Universal Soccer Forum.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
It all depends on the final on Sunday ... if it is Brasil-Germany then it will be probably a Brazilian or German. If there is a big star on the final like Zizou on the last one - s.o in the likes of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Kahn or even Klose then he will do it!

As from now I think balak stands a good chance after the Leverkusen performance, though without a title, and the one in the WC. Not being on the final could be acutually an advantage - if Germany wins without s.o. scoring 2 or three goals then he could claim it, if they lose by penaltis or one goal by a non-star then it will be "because he was not there" or sth like that.
I would like to see Kahn stand a chance as he is the most dominant goalkeeper of the last years and is probably better or at least more solid and more influential than Schmeihel was. Besides, goal keepers are always underestimated.

Otherwsie, could be Rivaldo or Ronaldo if one of them scores and becomes a solo top scorer. Zizou and Raul have an outside chance because of RealM and because their NT lost without them but I can't see a Golden Ball winner not playing at least on the semifinal + top-goal scorer in a WC year.

My guess - Kahn.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Jeez, this is about the World Cup? I was wondering what the hell Zidane and Hierro had to with Milan. :rollani: ;)

Del Piero and especially Zidane didn't do much of anything in the Cup. I think it is clearly between Rivaldo and Ronaldo if Brazil go on to win.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
If it is about the whole year of 2002, then Pires has to be incorporated in the list as he's been the best player of the year in Europe, and probably in the world. A shame that he was injured before the WC...

But since this award might take into account the WC, then one of the stars of this event would be a serious candidate. So far this WC has been quite calm as to players making an outstanding impact. So far, Ronaldinho Gaucho has been the best player of Brasil, the team that plays the best football of the ones left in the WC even tough it is Ronaldo and Rivaldo who are scoring the goals. Rivaldo despite scoring the goals hasn't been impressive, Ronaldo has shown some his magic but only at sporadic intermitence.

Since this WC has been one of the lowest ever in terms of quality, then to give the player of the year award any credibility, it should take into account the achievements of players between January 01st and December 31st 2002. Then it will make more sense. Or an even better suggestion would be to have 2 awards, one for the best player of the WC and one for the best player, all competitions included in the solar year.

Here's my pick for the top 3 best players of the year so far:
1) Robert Pires
2) Raul
3) Zinedine Zidane

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
On second thought, this is an interesting question if we are talking World Player of the Year. Generally speaking, during a WC year, the best player from the winning side takes the trophy. If Brazil wins, then you are probably talking about Rivaldo and Ronaldo. Payman, I think Ronaldinho was brilliant versus England, but he really didn't do a whole lot before that (aside from an assist, I believe).

The reason this question becomes interesting is because neither Ronaldo nor Rivaldo did much of anything for their club sides. Ronaldo barely played. So, if not those two, then who?

Pires is a good mention, but missing the WC and having France totally bomb might not help. Of course, Arsenal winning the double makes up for that.

Maybe somebody will come to mind later.

Zidane might win it purely on reputation and his goal in the CL final. However, he missed the World Cup minus one game and his form for Real wasn't always on. Not from what I gathered, anyway.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:

Here's my pick for the top 3 best players of the year so far:
1) Robert Pires
2) Raul
3) Zinedine Zidane
This is funyy,payman ... you will never change will you ... WAKE UP! It is a WC year. No matter how poor the WC was how little stars we have seen it is about the WC. The whole world is watching it ... Since when a good year in Engalnd equals to a Golden Ball not speaking of the FIFA best player. Come on, be serious for a change ... and not so biased ... :greed:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
THE WC counts for it all guys

look at ZZ in 1998, he didnt do much in the leauge, or CL...but a great WC put him on top.

this is gonan be between Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Khan.

And if Khan manages to keep most of the brazilian shots out, would not be suprised to see him get it.

Out of that List he deserves it the most!

Lav

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
bono74 said:

This is funyy,payman ... you will never change will you ... WAKE UP! It is a WC year. No matter how poor the WC was how little stars we have seen it is about the WC. The whole world is watching it ... Since when a good year in Engalnd equals to a Golden Ball not speaking of the FIFA best player. Come on, be serious for a change ... and not so biased ... :greed:
Bono,
Please re-read my previous post where i've explained my choices.:eek:

Once again, if we're talking about the best player of the WC, then, it has to be either of Ronaldo or Rivaldo; however, if we're talking about the best player of the solar year, then, Raul, Zidane and above all Pires have been outstanding and should be valid and legitimate candidates. Hope this clarifies it. Kahn is also one to be added into this list because he's been solid all along.:)

Rivaldo hasn't been good at all with Barca where he was injured most of the time and Ronaldo hasn't played much to be considered in the long run this year except in the WC.
Capisci addesso Bono?;):devil: :D

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Uh, errrr, :nervous: not only did I understand Payman's intent, :embarass: but, errrr, ah, I actually agree. :eekani: :eekani:

;) :D

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Mister hairy-butt-lover aka El Taco, what does that mean???Is that sarcasm or a low cheap shot?:fero::fero::devil:

:tongue::D:tongue:

I'm glad that we finally agree on something!!!:happy: It took you some divine inspiration or what to see the obvious El Taco, hey?;):D

Me good!:stuckup:

:D:tongue::howler::dielaugh:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:
Mister hairy-butt-lover aka El Taco, what does that mean???Is that sarcasm or a low cheap shot?:fero::fero::devil:

:tongue::D:tongue:

I'm glad that we finally agree on something!!!:happy: It took you some divine inspiration or what to see the obvious El Taco, hey?;):D

Me good!:stuckup:

:D:tongue::howler::dielaugh:
Payman, take the mouse of the smile's click board

i think u are the reason XT lags so much ;) :tongue:

Lav

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:
It took you some divine inspiration or what to see the obvious El Taco, hey?;):D
Consider the fact that it was me and my openion that united you for the first time then the simple logic is that the divine insperation was me OR in other words: I am the divine inspiration :strong: :strong: :strong: :strong:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
So, the answer is yes. Apparently, Bono can save the world. :rollani: ;) :D

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
What a love triangle. :heart: ;)

nice to see such a degree of love within the senior members of our forum. Nice image u ppl are producing. keep it up.;)

Ciao

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Bono is such a sweetheart. Such love for his fellow man and all that crap. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts