Xtratime Community banner

Who was the best european footballer ever?

• Franz Beckenbauer

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • George Best

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Johann Cruyff

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Giuseppe Meazza

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Ferenc Puskas

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Marco Van Basten

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Michel Platini

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Sir Stanley Matthews

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Zinedine Zidane

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this topic MUST have been covered before... but I don't remember it, so here's a chance to discuss it. Who was the best European player of all time?

I mean... the first and second best players from all time were South American, in whatever order (topic for another debate). Many people argue that Di Stefano, also South American, would be the third best player of all time. But that's beside the point. Who would be the finest European player of all time?

Would it be Giuseppe Meazza, Italia's prolific goalscorer from the 30s?
Would it be Johann Cruyff, the versatile genius from the Clockwork Orange?
Or would it be George Best, the british bad-boy genius?
Maybe the Kaiser Franz Beckenbauer, cornerstone of the 1974 Germany that vanquished Cruyff's powerful Holland?
Would it be the "Galloping Major" Ferenc Puskas from the dominating 1954 Hungarian team?
Maybe it was the mighty dutchman Marco Van Basten? Or maybe someone else altogether?
(If I forgot someone I suppose our friendly FM tarmpropp can add to the list)

:confused: I sincerely don't know the answer for sure. Cruyff comes to mind as a good candidate, but I want to hear what you people think. :)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I don't know the answer either, for two reasons.. I wasn't born in their era, and haven't seen enough of these players on the pitch to make a valid statement. From what I have seen, it would be between Cruyff and Puskas, both fantastic to watch in their own right. I voted Puskas, because I've always been a fan of the old Hungarian teams of the 50s and 60s. Class.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
The best, that's always hard to say but my favourite is definitely Johan Cruyff. Not only for his technique, speed and attitude, but formost for his intelligence and vision.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm going to say Best, with my heart over-ruling my head. My head says Cryuff cos of what he accomplished in his career but in terms of talent and what could have been I'm gonna go for Best.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I could, I would add Zidane and Platini... and Rivera, and Mazzola, and Fritz Walter, and all the names you want. But I can't add zilch, 'cause I'm not FM here... only tarmpropp or some CM can do it.

·
Administrator
30,071 Posts
My option is Beckenbauer...his inteligence as a player always impressed me.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
besides Maldini and Baresi being the best defenders, Rivera the best midfielder and Van Basten the best striker:cool: I can't answer. Too many great players to choose upon

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Zidane shouldnt be in the list.Platini should though.

Beckenbauer is who im going for, i loved the way he played and the way he came in and virtually made a new type of player/position.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
why shouldnt zidane be in the list?
he could win a match all by himself, just look at the second half of real madrid - valladolid and you will know what a great player he is, and enjoy the circus ;)

·
Registered
56,036 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
why shouldnt zidane be in the list?
he could win a match all by himself, just look at the second half of real madrid - valladolid and you will know what a great player he is, and enjoy the circus ;)
agree!
what a shame he didn't score after his "roulette"!
sure it would be the goal of the month:)

1 - 20 of 118 Posts